Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

O.T. - Appalachian 34, Michigan 32

Bottomgottem

When folks in these parts say A.S.U., we aren't talking about Arizona State.

We're talking about the Appalachian State University Mountaineers, and their football team, in case you missed it, beat the University of Michigan 34-32, in the Big House, in front of 109,000 oddly silent fans on the opening day of football season, September 01, 2007. Michigan was ranked #5 in the nation. Being a little, inconsequential Div. 1-AA school, Appalachian doesn't get ranked nationally. But, they are the division national champions for 2005, 2006, and very likely 2007. Turns out that Michigan picked the wrong sacrificial lamb for opening day.

Best...college...football...game...EVER!!!

And it's pronounced "appa-latch-an", not "appa-lay-shun". Get it right or we'll come and whoop your tails as well.

The school is located in Boone, NC, about 45 miles from where I live, and not too far from the Tennessee and Virginia borders. It's a smallish mountain town (elevation 3,333 feet) with a permanent population of about 15,000. It's primary exports are very good white liquor and kids with college degrees. (Oh, and whoop ass!) The town takes its name from Daniel Boone, who apparently stopped for a while to shop and take in the mountain scenery. It was probably during the peak leaf week. ;)

About half of my gigs are in Boone. My beloved wife is a current graduate student there (who gets us game tickets for cheap) and my oldest daughter attends their annual, month-long music camps. They have a fantastic music program. I give them a lot of money, so I'm gonna brag a little. I should own at least a little piece of that school. Did I mention they beat the University of Michigan, 34-32?

And that Michigan paid Appalachian $400,000 for the privilege?

:rawk:

It's been a good weekend in western N.C.

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry, I can tell how EXCITED you are but I cannot understand the fascination(sp) with it. I did grow up in Toledo, Ohio, middle of the buckeye state (well, actually the northern section) and the rivalry 'tween them two colleges is how you say 'historic'.

But, my intrest is piqued, what's the $400,000 from? Revenue?

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

If I'm not mistaken, home-team universities dole out the $$ to the universities of visiting teams.

And yes, as an Arkansas Razorback fan, I think it's funny that Michigan gets a black-eye in a "marshmellow" non-conference game. Heh, obviously Michigan was taking the Mountaineers a little bit for granted. I wonder where that will land Michigan in the polls on Tuesday...

A stiffy somewhere in the city sewer system...

Well guys, Being from Michigan (I'm more of a Spartan fan, but I do follow U-M) I just had to comment. I kinda seen this coming, and for two reasons. It's no secret Michigan in recent history cannot handle a speedy opponent. Its why they've been embarrassed in bowl games as of late... The team is geared for the power game most Big 10 teams play. In addition their Achilles heel over the past decade got exposed badly... The kicking game.. For all the talent Michigan can recruit, for some strange reason when it comes to placekickers and punters they have been clueless. For all that went wrong with Michigan Saturday, the bottom line was if those field goal attempts were made, Michigan wins...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Go Appy State!!!

Boone is about 40 minutes away from me. I've been over to Appy State on several occasions. Very nice and beautiful campus. I just about went there, but out of state tuition was outrageous and I didn't want to drive that far.

Here's some Appalachian mud in your eye (and your pickups!) Jeremy! :)

(Now if only UT would get its defensive head out of their rear ends... )

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

sorry, I can tell how EXCITED you are but I cannot understand the fascination(sp) with it. I did grow up in Toledo, Ohio, middle of the buckeye state (well, actually the northern section) and the rivalry 'tween them two colleges is how you say 'historic'.

But, my intrest is piqued, what's the $400,000 from? Revenue?

If you search around on youtube, you'll find alot of Ohio fans who are very fascinated with App's. victory.

For my part, it's a real David v. Goliath story. No Rocky movie had a better ending than that game did.

I don't know where the money came from, but it was part of the game contract that was signed in February. All pretty standard, I believe.

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

i went to the michigan state game against UAB. one of our running backs had just scored his fourth TD of the game. the crowd cheered.

then they posted the second quarter score from ann arbor -- appy 28, UM 14. the crowd went absolutely nuts. msu won. UM lost. embarrassingly. as did notre dame. it couldn't be a better weekend. and so, i leave you with this:

http://lh4.google.com/robb.zimmerman/Rt1kz7VvgnI/AAAAAAAAAtI/oqCZ8Z-HYGY/appy_orly.jpg

http://lh4.google.com/robb.zimmerman/Rt1kz7VvgoI/AAAAAAAAAtQ/Y5huaLbtHJs/UM_half-mast.jpg

robb.

On the other hand, I transferred to Cal Berkeley and got my degree in music there.

Hello, Tennessee. Welcome to the west coast.

Go Bears!

Loved Deshawn Jackson's punt return - a thing of beauty. An Alabama grad like me never minds watching Tennessee lose, especially to Cal, who was looking for redemption after last year's thumpin'.

Speaking of Alabama - they had no trouble putting away their 1-AA gimme opponent on Saturday, like some teams we know. :wave: Coach Saban says he is building a championship team in Tuscaloosa. They looked good on Saturday. Roll Tide.

As for App St: Here, have

with your morning coffee. This is what it sounds like when David beats Goliath.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Archived