Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hit me with a weird chord

Bytored

I am bored with playing the same old riffs and chords and need some outside input on some different really cool chording's. I thought it would be funner if I asked you guys to throw one or a bunch at me. sure I could look some up but like I said, were is the fun of that. So hit me......

What can this strange device be?

When I touch it, it gives forth a sound

It's got wires that vibrate, and give music

What can this thing be that I found?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im not full of theory but I can give you the notes :D

I like to use this one transitioning into a major chord,

ie chord (In G I think)

G,Db,D,G

ie prgression,

B5-A5-The Chord-G maj

oh yeah heres some tab for the way I use it, using the open strings get a bit akward...

e-3--------

b-3--------

g-6--------

d-5--------

a----------

E----------

B5 A5 Chrd G Maj

e--------3-3-3-----------------

b--------3-3-3-----------------

g-4-4-2--6-6-4-----------------

d-4-4-2--5-5-5-----------------

a-2-2-0------------------------

E------------------------------

F# on the 6th string, 2nd fret, 2nd finger

E on the 4th string, 2nd fret, 3rd finger

G# on the 3rd string, first fret, 1st finger (bar)

C on the 2nd string, first fret, 1st finger (bar)

I see it as a E or C aug w/ F# as bass, or as F# half-diminished w/ a passing note (G#) that MIGHT eventually get to the A. I also finish some songs w/ it, or a similar chord (depending on key).

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

here is a couple of cool sounding chords using open strings...

-0--0---------------

-0--0--10-----------

-5--4--7------------

-7--6--9------------

-0--5--8------------

----0---------------

the first is Amin 11, E7,Dmin6

use your ring and first finger to play the D and G string notes and add the others after shifting the position.

the inner shape is the same (d and g ) but when you finger the E7 you add your middle finger to the 5th fret A string and when you play the Dmin6 you add the middle finger on the 6th fret A string and pinky on the 10th fret B string.

i have no idea if these are used much but i was screwing around with the Amin11 and stumbled onto them.

Yes Derrick that is what I was looking for, somthing different. thanks all. Keep em coming. Now to go try some of them out and see how my fingers hold up.

DOOGHH. After all this time I just stumbled on the theory thread. go figure.

Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place guys.

What can this strange device be?

When I touch it, it gives forth a sound

It's got wires that vibrate, and give music

What can this thing be that I found?

Not quite on topic, but what would you name this chord.

--X--

--1--

--0--

--1--

--1--

--0--

I sounded it out in a song I wrote in the key of D and its a passing chord/arpeggio from a diminished chord to X to an A7 back to D.

Edit: Here is the chord written correctly (I hope).

--0--

--1--

--1--

--0--

--1--

--X--

I am confused Fumbly. The Bb in the bass could make a C7 but the G#/Ab isn't a sharp 9th? its more like a raised 5th.

So the notes are low to high Bb, D, G#, C, E. I don't play them in that order though. I alternate pick Bb(5), G#(3), C(2), D(4), E(1), the numbers show which string. The chord sounds bad played by itself, but to my ear works in context.

As I see it written in your diagram low to high...

Open E, Bb, D#, G, C, and you could play the high open E as well.

So you have C, E, G basic C Major triad, then you have Bb which is the Dom7th and you have D# which is the raised 9th. Correctly written I suppose would be C7#9/E.

If I saw something wrong please forgive me...the painkillers still rule at times in this man's world and befuddle things a bit.

Okay Gruupi am I wrong here? I always read these as I would be looking at the instrument so that diagram to me is they way I called it ....the string with the X in it to me is the high E.

In the case of your reversed version...EDIT: E7 (b13b5)...I dunno the C could be a B# which could be a sharp 5...but with the flat 5 as well is wierd. See my later reply.

E, G#, Bb is the E Major triad with the 5th flatted. D is the Dom 7th and C is the b6th voiced an octave up over the 7th, so is called the b13th.

That's the way I understand it.

I think the major thing with chords, as I am STARTING to learn, is that the same chord can be named much more than one thing, and can be used in many contexts...

I like..

-x-

-7-

-6-

-5-

-x-

-6-

Sometimes like to use it with the high E string fretted at the B too...

It could be called plenty of things.. I like to use it as an A Major type chord with Bb in the bass.. Works sometimes, as a passing chord or with an alternating bass line... or just a plain ol substitute..

Gm7th

Let's see, according my somewhat limited knowledge of the subject matter a Gm7th is spelled G Bb D F. That chord that I use is spelled (low to high) E A F Bb D E. Ain't no G root unless I grab it on the high E which I said I do but that still doesn't fully negate the Low E and A

Everyone starts off in the same place and it becomes evident at some point that playing chords without knowing their names or how they are constructed is very limiting.

It would really be benificial to learn this so you will never have a grip you don't know what to call.

Well seeing as how I have a couple of pieces of paper hanging on my wall here that says that I have a B.A. in Music Composition AND a Master of Music in Composition, which I will be the first to admit I never much did a lot with because of a whole lotta life going on, but that still doesn't mean that I don't remember like a few things like chord construction, scales, forms, orchestration, etc etc etc.

Just cause I ain't got a specific name for it, does not mean that I do not know where it came from, how it was constructed or how I am going to use it musically.

Tony

I have no idea what this one is but I like it. Use your 2nd finger for the low G and C:

---3----

---3----

---0----

---2----

---3----

---3----

Cadd9/G

C major w/ an added ninth, G on the bass.

....every rose has its thorn....

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Well if you have a Masters why did you not name the chord since you know you could call the E the 6th and the A the 9th....or you should know that.

You are right, I missed the open strings written and I was going on the high G being played as you mentioned. Since that grip is very close to a Gm7 grip if you added the root G and did not play the 5th string I went there with that.

But posting in such a way that you are not that knowledgeable and then coming out that you have a degree and a masters is a bit strange.

Based on what you posted how was I supposed to know that or was that your way of telling everyone you have a degree.

Anyway, no need to be a dick about it.

I don't know the name for it.

I have to add to this.......if you have a degree in music how can you not know what the name of this chord is. You posted here as a novice and I responded accordingly in a helpful manner. My post was not meant to be snide about learning to construct chords.

You are correct in that I missed the open strings, read them as not played as it was late at night after a full day. Therefore my evaluation of the chord was wrong.

So sue me.

Fumbles... Hand out the vicadin's buddy. I think we could all use some chill pills :-) It's only theory :-)

So you would call it a Bb chord, thought you might say that! hehe

I haven't used it in that context before, but I will for sure.

The reason I would use it as an Amaj chord is because I find it works well with this

-x-

-7-

-6-

-5-

-x-

-5-

So as I come back to that chord I may swap out the A for a Bb... I think you are definately correct in naming it a Bb with the the Bb in the bass, but with my limited (but growing) knowledge I find it easier to regard it as an A... How my crazy lil mind works my good man!

I like this too

-x-

-7-

-6-

-4-

-x-

-5-

I use it as an F#m with A in the bass, i'm not sure on the naming as A is naturally part of F#m anyway.

I find it works nicely in a kind of

F#m-Am6-GMaj7 progression... although the A in the F#m and the Am6 don't create much of an interesting bass line. (though I could hit the 5th string open for a tiny change in character I guess..)

These are kind of new experiments for me really, as I am only just starting to get my head round things, still a long way to go and still many more mistakes to make!

I think the major thing with chords, as I am STARTING to learn, is that the same chord can be named much more than one thing, and can be used in many contexts...

Absolutely. There are often as many different spellings for a chord as there are notes in the chord, (sometimes more, for notes which aren't in the chord,) all justifiable within different key contexts or the surrounding harmonic direction.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

I don't know the name for it.

I have to add to this.......if you have a degree in music how can you not know what the name of this chord is. You posted here as a novice and I responded accordingly in a helpful manner.

Well that "novice" bit on the side there has nothing at all to do one with one's playing ability or knowledge. That is based solely on the number of posts that one has made on this board.

My post was not meant to be snide about learning to construct chords.

I hate to say this but that is the way it came across at this end of the screen. All I did was respond to someone asking for a weird chord....

And as far as naming it goes, well guitar chord naming, is based a lot on the voicing and position of the chord, and I will be the first to admit that my playing knowledge of jazz and jazz chording is weak at best. But I'll give this a stab anyways.

Lets see..based on the notes as played, which would be (low to high), E A F Bb D E. The E A low on the low strings tends to bring out the A major dominant 5th so I'd say this is an A chord at root, with a sus 4th (the D), 7th (Bb) and 6th (the F). So it's a A7sus4add6

But then taking the notes by themselves there is clearly a Bb chord here, Bb, D, F with the A as a major 7th and the E coming in as an 11th. However when you play it, it doesn't sound like a Bb major 7th because of the positioning. But for the sake of discussion, I'll through it out as a BbMaj7add11

In the same vein, we have D F A which is the D minor triad, with Bb as minor etc etc.

I have been tossing around the notes for about 20 minutes here and the bottom line is, I STILL don't know what to call it

Tony

Sorry about reversing the order there Fumbly. I haven't really ever written tab on the internet before, in fact I really don't use tab much at all, just for a couple of songs. I posted it upside down.

E13b5 makes lots of sense, I just would never have thought of it that way. I really don't have any other E7 chords in the piece (that I know of). I just kind of heard part of the chord in my head and worked out the rest by ear. It sure is great to have you guys as a sounding board for theory.

That is based solely on the number of posts that one has made on this board...I hate to say this but that is the way it came across at this end of the screen. All I did was respond to someone asking for a weird chord....

It had absolutely f....all to do with the number of posts. It had to do with you saying you did not know what to call the chord. I wrongly took that as coming from someone with limited theory.

How can you have a degree and not know how to name a chord?

I am sorry you took it as snide, I thought I wrote it in a gentle manner and also did not only aim it at you.

But hey if you want to go around being a post martyr, be my guest. Besides, you know what all the notes are in the chord and how they relate, so you obviously do not need my help anymore, so sayonara.

Sorry about reversing the order there

No apology needed....Gruups I have told you wrong...the C would be a flat 13 ....see the original post I made about your chord edited it.

The C could be also a sharp 5 but since the Bb is the flat 5 that seems awkward.

So perhaps E7 ( b13,b5).

I am so tweaked right now over this other stuff plus my wife has dropped a bomb on me that friends of hers are coming over so I am trying to tidy up.

I will get back later.

Bbm13#5

A nice 6th voicing is a small modification on this grip...

-x-

-6-

-7-

-5-

-x-

-6-

Try going from BbMaj7 to that Bb6 voicing...

BbMaj7 like this...

-x-

-6-

-7-

-7-

-x-

-6-

Listen to the voice leading

I just managed to get my geet in hand to try this out. It has a great sound, thanks for the heads up dude.

Archived