Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Having some regrets about buying the OCD pedal

Hardtail

Lately, I've been thinking that I probably shouldn't have bought the Fulltone OCD pedal. The more I play through my Twin's gain channel, the more I like it over the OCD.

So... I'm not so sure this stompbox will have a place in my "go to" gear.

So... I may end up selling it.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, the way I see it, I'm comparing the OCD to the Twin gain channel and only experiencing minute differences.

My patience for "tweaking things" is thin so I'm basically saying... to hell with it... I don't need the damned pedal.

So I'm keeping it simple with just the crybaby pedal.

I have never tried the Twin Amp, but my experience is that tube amp's distortion is more dynamic and musical, although sometimes it doesn't sound as "ideal" as a GOOD overdrive pedal. I really like my OCD (v.3) and I think it sounds VERY different from the only other OCD I have knowingly heard live (about 2 yrs. ago). I prefer mine, the other sounded too fuzzy for my tastes--it could have been the settings on the other guy's amp. Anyhow, I recently got a boost pedal, and tried w/ my amps' dirty channels. There's just no comparison when it comes to "natural-sounding distortion" (this phrase sounds so much like an oxymoron), even though w/ many settings the OCD sounded immediately rounder, more focused. But the feel and they dynamic response of the amps' distortion is what makes it more "musical" to my fingers and ears, plus there is a shimmer to it that can be NOT buzzy.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Well, Hardtail, i'm not surprised, you bought a one-thousand dollar amp that can provide distortion on it's own, of course it's going to be better, I mean if I got a Marshall half-stack, you better believe I'd sell it.

Just a question, which one did you purchase first?

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=810593

http://www.myspace.com/dandelavega

Yep, I sell stuff occasionally myself. :D

Hey Hardtail, I told you that was a good amp. :)

I just hate the first one you got had a problem but the good news is, they stood behind their product! :)

Yeah, Fender gain from the Pro Tube Series is hard to beat.

There's so many sweet spots in that amp it's ridiculous.

Hey, sell that pedal and go buy you something you really need, or something for the little lady. ;):D

Randy

"Just play!"

LOL..........it has no saddles on it right now so seeing as you would have to replace them and intonate... you would have to give me the OCD plus $1,000,000 :laugh:...

I'm a bit loopy right now, trying to make medication changes...aaargh....sucks!

Serious, is it all that bad?

Did you try setting the drive or distortion knob really low so it is not really overdriving all that much? If the amp is two channel, perhaps you could effectively have 3 channels going where the amp has clean and then set a nice distortion sound at a level that you can use for crunch rhythm and then set the OCD to just raise the level slightly and give a tiny bit extra distortion for your leads.

I have heard quite a few good things about these....I think if you did take a minute to play with it you might find a setting that jumps out at you HT. Once you have that I don't think further tweaking would be required.

I hope it works out.

My Zendrive is similar in that when I crank the gain and voice settings it starts to sound too saturated. If I play with them and ease off a bit on everything it gets nice. At first I was a bit unsure, but I find it takes a minute. Have you played it live yet? That also will make a difference.

It isn't so much that I hate it but it gives me nothing that I can't get on the Twin's gain channel. That being the case, I don't see the need to clutter the signal with a pedal that's not being used.

Actually, if I do decide to sell it, I have to get the "boost" switch replaced first as I discovered yesterday that it's locked in the "boost" position. I just contacted Fulltone to see if I can send it back to get replaced.

I mean... I could probably do it myself but I'd rather they do it if my plans are to sell it.

O.K. boys, settle down...... :/

I recently had a very VERY POOR interaction with Mike Fuller, owner of Fulltone. I'd heard some negative things about him before. But, I really don't care about other's opinions much, when it comes to personal issues. I have purchased several Fulltone items (Clyde Deluxe Wah, OCD, and the Tube Tape Echo), and have been very impressed with all three. As you know, I've been very vocal here on our forum, in strong support of the excellence of these Fulltone products.

However, Mike Fuller's interpersonal skills, at least in my interaction via e mail with him, were HORRIBLE. He was gratuitously rude and condescending to me. When I gave him a bit back, he literally decompensated!! Based on this, I'll NEVER buy another Fulltone product.

However, I can't really say anything bad about the three Fulltone effects I own. I like and use them all.

As for the OCD, I'd just say that I would not be too quick to sell it. It is an excellent overdrive pedal. I've tried MANY, and the OCD and the Klon are my two fav's. The OCD will give you options your amp will not.

I am fortunate to own many many great amps. I use either the OCD or the Klon with almost all of my amps. I don't run the pedals all the time. But, I keep them in front of the amp, and use them regularly. Mostly, I'll kick it in when I want to emphasize a lead.

So, think about it a bit before you send it packing!! Of course, this is a personal choice. All you really need is a good amp and guitar.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

That bites that you have had a couple things take a crap brand new.

Yeah I hear you on the less is more thing. If you have a tone you are completely happy with why mess with it and plus every thing you put between the guitar and amp might have an effect.

Sometimes I like just rolling back my guitar volume and setting the amp so when I roll up to full on the gtr vol I have my lead level, and I just control it from the guitar. I had a mod done to my Strat that keeps the tone constant as you roll off the volume..it does not get all tinny, it retains the natural full open tone all the way down.

It is a simple mod....a cap and a resistor across the volume or tone pot. Cost $25

It really helps if you are controlling things with the vol knob on the guitar.

Sometimes I like just rolling back my guitar volume and setting the amp so when I roll up to full on the gtr vol I have my lead level, and I just control it from the guitar. I had a mod done to my Strat that keeps the tone constant as you roll off the volume..it does not get all tinny, it retains the natural full open tone all the way down.

It is a simple mod....a cap and a resistor across the volume or tone pot. Cost $25

Now that would be something I'd like to get done. I'll check this out.

Also, I'd like to invite myself :laugh: to visit Zub and Fumbly, in order to try out Zub's old TubeScreamer, and Fum's Zen.

I like these two old beasts...the SD-1 and the TS-9 .The Zen is very happening also. I have never tried an OCD... I would sure like to have one and a Klon......I would have all bases covered then.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/Gypsyfingers/IMG_4408.jpg

HT notice how the drive on the TS-9 is a bit left of center as is the Tone...try a setting like that if you have not already, on the OCD. If I run the tone any higher than that it bites too much and I like my drive not too distorted....just enough to help the amp. Doc, what are your settings mostly?

I find the Zen's OD knob starting from "almost zero" whereas the OCD is already pretty distorted on "zero" drive.

I'd say, maybe you'd like to keep the OCD, or sell it and get a newer version (assuming yours is not the newest), but I don't think having a good od pedal lying around is necessarily a bad thing... or maybe sell it AND GET A KLOONNNN! Or ZACHARY PEDAL! ;) or CAE's boost/od.

My MySpace Space

I wouldn't be comparing the OCD (or any pedal) to the amp directly, I don't think that is the point. If you don't like the sounds you get from a pedal and have no use for those sounds (two very different things, as I could make use of some pretty crappy sounds), then that is a problem.

But I see it like this: on a two channel amp with a foot switch you have two sounds right at your feet, but with the pedal you then have 4 or at least three potentially useful sounds. Add that to other tweaks of the guitar's knobs and playing techniques etc and you have just more colors to paint with than other wise.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

try this:

http://www.creationaudiolabs.com/mk423.html I got one for a bit of a deal, and I can tell you it does what it's supposed to do. I set my Twin II's dirty channel to a little OD and hit this thing, and adds nice sustain, volume, etc... warning: the "hit" can be heard at times--I think I've only noticed it on the Carvin, not on the Fender.

...or Fulltone's Fatboost... no clue how that one is.

Apparently BBE's Boost pedal is good, too. Also, Big Bob (or is it Bad Bob?) boost,

My MySpace Space

I like these two old beasts...the SD-1 and the TS-9

Hey Fumbly... that TS-9 looks like it has some mileage. Have you ever had to fix/replace the switch? I just started this thread: "Ibanez TS-9 switch on the fritz"

MUSCLE:91 Mesa Mk4(rack mounted)|Mesa F30|Mesa Nomad45|'78 Marshall 4x12

HEART:07 Gibson LP Std 50s Neck|86 Jackson Soloist|92 PRS Custom 24|01 PRS Singlecut|Taylor 814ce|MIM Strat

...yes, I recommend it, too! Volume knobs should come like this from factory!

My MySpace Space

...yes, I recommend it, too! Volume knobs should come like this from factory!

I'm going to talk to someone about this tomorrow. It sounds like a good idea.

I hate how the tone/gain gets sucked out just by rolling back the volume knobs.

Archived