Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Urk! Favours...

Kramer Ferrington III.

A friend of mine's just e-mailed me from Milan. He's writing a book on punk and wanted me to translate the MC5s "Kick Out The Jams" into Italian. I include the English text below (and speaking of "great opening lines"!)

The problem is that I know what it all means, but stuffed if I could explain it, even in English. Expressions such as

When you get that feeling

You gotta sock'em out

Well... how would you explain to someone what "sock 'em out" means? I've tried to explain to my friend that it'd be a feeling akin to taking a liberating punch at something, but kicking out the jams, which I take to mean something like "have a great time raising hell" is not something you want to liberate yourself from, it's something you want to express.

So, jus for the fun of it, could anyone help me paraphrase the text into "standard" English from the proud, slang-ridden mess it is? If I can get it into "proper" English, it'd make the translation a lot easier.

I presume "got in tune" refers to the act of tuning instruments, but it's also part of that "tune in/turn on/drop out" thing, is there a "standard" english term which conveys BOTH meanings? I sure as hell can't think of one.

And what about the past tense used about "we all got in tune" and the present tense of "now baby"? I can see that it's intended in the sense of "now, baby", much like "now, baby, how was your day?" (I really wish it was "you know, baby". It'd make life a lot easier).

Anyway, if anybody's got any ideas...

Kick out the jams motherf... !

Yeah! I, I, I, I, I'm gonna

I'm gonna kick 'em out ! Yeah !

Well i feel pretty good

And i guess that i could get crazy now baby

Cause we all got in tune

And then the dressing room got hazy now baby

[]You gotta have it baby

You can't do without

When you get that feeling

You gotta sock'em out

Put that mike in my hand

And let me kick out the jams

Yes ! Kick out the jams

I want to kick'em out

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vince on this phrase "I presume "got in tune" refers to the act of tuning instruments, but it's also part of that "tune in/turn on/drop out" thing, is there a "standard" english term which conveys BOTH meanings? I sure as hell can't think of one."

This part of the song was related to getting in tune on the guitars,the hazy dressing room referred to both being in tune because they had had enough reefer together and where in tune both ways and where ready to take the stage. That is exactly what they meant.

I don't know if it would help your friend but the term "Kick out the jams" came from the band seeing DJ Robin Seymour who hosted "Swinging Time" on CKLW here in Detroit/Windsor, in fact start his show with a coordinated football kicking motion and the first song of the show (usually a fast hard rock song) Robin would kick out the jams to his audience.

Allow me to translate the first verse into proper English for you folks.

"Gentlemen and ladies, we are approaching the moment when my musical compatriots and I shall perform some upbeat musical compositions. I say this with the utmost of urgency!

I would personally like to do so.

I'm in most excellent mental and physical condition at present, and I do believe it is quite possible that I may be inclined to perform in a most energetic fashion, my friends.

My fellow minstrels and I are of the same opinion in relation to the subject of performance as a result of our joint inhalation of ignited cannibus leaves in the pre-performance antechamber conveniently located directly behind the proscenium arch. The subsequent effect of this narcotic use has been synergystic.

It seems quite likely you decided to visit this theater due to a perceived urgent need on your part to see this kind of performance.

Indeed, my fellow musicians and I share a propensity for entertaining and are compelled to do so quite vigorously.

So, please be so kind as to provide me with a vocal amplification device designed for this purpose and observe as I energetically perform. Indeed, I do wish to do this with great enthusiasm."

You're on your own for the rest.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

"Gentlemen and ladies, we are approaching the moment when my musical compatriots and I shall perform some upbeat musical compositions. I say this with the utmost of urgency!

I would personally like to do so.

I'm in most excellent mental and physical condition at present, and I do believe it is quite possible that I may be inclined to perform in a most energetic fashion, my friends.

My fellow minstrels and I are of the same opinion in relation to the subject of performance as a result of our joint inhalation of ignited cannibus leaves in the pre-performance antechamber conveniently located directly behind the proscenium arch. The subsequent effect of this narcotic use has been synergystic.

It seems quite likely you decided to visit this theater due to a perceived urgent need on your part to see this kind of performance.

Indeed, my fellow musicians and I share a propensity for entertaining and are compelled to do so quite vigorously.

So, please be so kind as to provide me with a vocal amplification device designed for this purpose and observe as I energetically perform. Indeed, I do wish to do this with great enthusiasm."

You're on your own for the rest.

ROTFL!!!!! :freak::crazy::D

Reads like "Pride and Prejudice!" Love it!

Erik - I believe this is my favorite post of all-time. :thu:

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

"Allow me to exercise veracity regarding my existentiality,

and also allow me to enthusiatically perform these velocitudinous musical events!

Enthusiastically perform these velocitudinous these musical events,

I find it necessary to enthusiastically perform them!"

or, in other words,

"let me be who I am,

and let me kick out the jams!

Kick out the jams!

I got to kick 'em out!"

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

"Allow me to exercise veracity regarding my existentiality,

and also allow me to enthusiatically perform these velocitudinous musical events!

Enthusiastically perform these velocitudinous these musical events,

I find it necessary to enthusiastically perform them!"

or, in other words,

"let me be who I am,

and let me kick out the jams!

Kick out the jams!

I got to kick 'em out!"

Awesome, my man!

We'll create a civilized society for rocking, I daresay.

Lynn:

I'm doing well. I'm playing guitar again after a bit of an sabbatical on bass. Feels pretty good.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Great to hear from you, Erik... and you come in with a bang, as usual! :thu:

We should've expected no less from the wordsmith of the Guitar Forum himself!

BTW - Are you still working in that job you landed a few years ago you said was most excellent?

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

That's brilliant!!!!! :D:thu:

Archived