Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What do you think of these guys?

Kramer Ferrington III.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tried to like it. Got bored about 6 minutes in. Wasn't inspired to go listen to other tunes... What's compelling about them to you, KF3?

Erm...

I've never had to put it into words, so I'm at a bit of a loss. I guess it sounds new. It sounds different, a bit alien, even. I like their sense of dynamics, I like the way they've gotten away from songs about stuff to music that just... is. I like the way that the guitars are placed in a different context, I guess.

I know there's other bands doing the soundscape thing, but then EITS've been around for a few years too.

I have to say Kramer... Back in the 70's I used to try and get my band to play tunes like that...I called them "State of Mind" music... Maybe it was brought on by the substances I was using or used, but I would get off on a tangent of certain chords and slighty structured melodys and enjoy it... The band would indulge me at times but we would never play anything like that on stage... Personnaly I kinda liked it... Thanks.

I agree with A String & Trucks, it's very Floydian, and on the "too-longish" side if you're not abusing some sort of hallucinigen, or if you're on speed. Not the worst or best I ever heard in that genre.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I've been an Explosions in the Sky fan for a while. This is not one of my favorite songs though. They definitely remind me of Pink Floyd. I like their setup, with three guitars and a drummer.
Hooray for the Moon

The recording is so bad it's difficult for me to cull much from it. Kinda defeats the purpose of this music to be ethereal and ambient, relaxing, when the awful distortion makes my back tense up. :freak:

They're ok at what they do from what I can get from this recording. Of course, I was listening to better examples of this 20 and 30 years ago. Definitely Floyd-esque. Definitely overdone in time unless you're high. Since I've never been I can't say whether it would be better that way. ;) You might try pulling out some Michael Hedges or Bill Frissell for better stuff along similar lines other than Floyd.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Well, ok... the "Floydian" tag sort of fits. I could see that from the start. And "Meddle" is a good call, Craig.

But hell, KRAFTWERK claimed to be influenced by Floyd. TANGERINE DREAM had some Floyd influence. I guess if you get there early enough (and your records sell well enough), you'll influence a whole bunch of future bands.

And anyway, Floyd made that sort of music and then kind of went somewhere else... so in short, if Floyd's not going to play that stuff, somebody else might as well do it. It's CALMER than early Floyd though, and I can't see these guys doing something like Corporal Clegg. I'm glad someone's making that sort of music.

Interesting comments though, and it's great to have feedback on stuff because it's too easy to get carried away with stuff, and you guys help me put stuff into perspective, even when I don't always agree. :)

Interesting about it sounding like an intro.

Still, I guess it only sounds like an intro if you expect stuff to follow the usual "a song is like sex" paradigm where over the course of 3.5 minutes, things build up to a screaming solo and then die down. I mean, why SHOULD music have a crescendo in it anyway?

Personally, I still think they're interesting, though I couldn't see myself listening to nothing but these guys.

it would have been cool if they started some sort of melody around 3 or 4 minutes into it.

That was at the Parish here in town. I've seen a few experimental bands on that venue.

MAybe you'll like Low Line Caller from here in Austin. I'm not necessarily a fan, but...

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

I mean, why SHOULD music have a crescendo in it anyway?
It shouldn't HAVE to... it doesn't need direction. It doesn't need to NOT have direction. I think most people do like direction, but they don't like to go "places", hence repetitive chords and grooves, and direction is provided w/ crescendos and various levels of overdrive and screaming solos, etc. I like direction, as well as stationary grooves, as well as going places w/o specific direction. As well as good ol' rock n' roll, etc. Hmm, I guess I really like music.

Looking for nice stuff that wanders apparently aimlessly? You should listen to composer Toru Takemitsu, then. Check out "Tree Line", a nice chamber orchestra work.

Maybe you'll also like these "different" bands: Deerhoof, Man Man, Icy Demons. Those do have direction, though. Personally I don't think they aren't too complex, or experimental or "out there", but they are kinda odd and seem to be catching on. I really like Deerhoof's last cd, though.

My MySpace Space

It's not as though people who like this kind of thing are philistines or anything, there allot of people with allot of musical traing and background that don't like experimental music. Heck there are allot of musicians that don't like Floyd! me being one of them actually, some I like or I like parts of what they do but I'm sure not a fan.

It's not as though people who like this kind of thing are philistines or anything, there allot of people with allot of musical traing and background that don't like experimental music. Heck there are allot of musicians that don't like Floyd! me being one of them actually, some I like or I like parts of what they do but I'm sure not a fan.

Agreed.

I like some Floyd. SOME (not a whole lot).

My MySpace Space

Well, no... it's not.

I think it's meant to be post-rock (ie using the rock ensemble in unusual ways, but I think the band dislikes the term.

What's "experimental music" anyway? I'm sure we all have a different definition! :) But you guys are right, a melody wouldn't have gone astray.

From about the 8 minute mark on I liked it a lot actually.

It doesn't seem to me to be improvised, maybe I need to watch the whole time and see of their looking around at ieach other for cues and stuff. If it were a couple of ideas the tried to stitch together by just jamming and improvising then I think it is a good start. It reminds me of stuff I did in an old band-- not sound wise or texture wise or anything, but-- in the sense that we'd have an idea and some other idea and we just said lets see if we can jam our way from one to the other. After listening to the tape we'd stream line it and after a while it would turn into a song just by jamming it more wisely each time. To me there is a lot of editing that could be done to keep the freaky and trippy vibe but make it a more full and expressive song, and even leave room for flat out jamming and improv. That is my perspective on it.

I know we hate "genres" and "catagories" but is that what they used to call "shoegazer" music? I think it isn't "Heavy" enough for that label, but I've not kept up with the labels since Soundgarden was called "Grunge" (which to me was often as metal as Sabbath) and Alice in Chains were called "alternative"-- which was like REM, and Alice in Chains again was as metal as anything I ever heard.

I didn't think I'd like it about 2 or 3 minutes in but I'm glad I stuck it out. I'd like to hear more, but I think they could edit a lot and not lose anything. Again, my opinion is based on the idea that they are not improvising very much if at all. They may have freedom in the length of the sections but if the drummer felt like going in a "Jab O' Starks" direction I didn't get the sense that anyone would actually follow him.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

Archived