Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Any Network Experts Around?

Kramer Ferrington III.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could still set it up that way. Run the network setup wizard and set your computer to be the host computer that connects to the internet and other computers connect through you. Then, set the other computer to obtain IP addresses automatically. Make sure ICS is enabled and let er' rip.

Make sure you have the right cables though...

Ihave to say that networking has always seemed like voodoo-ism to me. Even when I get one to work, there is no telling when it will decide not to work.

A prime example... I moved from the cool batchelor pad to the homey suburban house. In the CBP, ALL the computers talked to each other. I unplugged everything, moved it to the HSH, with the same service, same equipment, plugged it all in, and now, though everyone can talk tot he internet, none of the computers talk to each other anymore and my print server is down. (sigh....) Guess they are mad about me giving up the city for suburbia.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Could be ICS Bill. As I mentioned earlier, ICS sucks. It is the most unreliable, crappy software ever written.

A good router fixes things right up and as Spiral Light mentioned, you can get one with a fire wall. Unless you are running an FTP server or something, you won't need to worry about the port forwarding on it, it will keep you safe from intruders (for the most part) and allow your computers to share files and the internet.

Ihave to say that networking has always seemed like voodoo-ism to me. Even when I get one to work, there is no telling when it will decide not to work.

You're way ahead of me... I have the same problems with PRINTERS, so you can imagine the fear and loathing I have for networks!

Could be ICS Bill. As I mentioned earlier, ICS sucks. It is the most unreliable, crappy software ever written.

A good router fixes things right up and as Spiral Light mentioned, you can get one with a fire wall.

In the bad old days, when you haf to do everything for yourself, I rigged up all of my own internet connections. In fact, the first time that I got Verizons service, I knew more abouyt it than their tech support did. But a few years ago, when Verizon decided to get their share of the market, they provided the software and the routers. So I donated mine to needy charities, and used theirs. I have no idea about the inner workings, and as far as I know, I cannot access the software of the crappy Westell wireless 'modem' that they provide. Since I stopped doing my own work in the days of NT4, I'm pretty much at a loss today, and I ave to admit that I have little desire to take a refresher course.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived