Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitars In Your Price Range

A String

Millo stated in another thread: "Personally, I'd like to have a go-to list of electric guitar models for when students ask what to buy."

This is a great idea. I thought that if we had a list of the best guitars you can buy, at each price point, it would really help potential buyers.

So, what are the best guitars at each range? It's ok if there are a few in each catagory (gives more choices), just as long as they have been tried and tested and found to be good.

Let's get a list together that can be added to the Tutorial section. If you have a guitar that you would recommend to someone, then post the brand and price and I will add it to the list.

*EDIT*

So I'm not editing the list in two places, I've moved it to it's new home https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1797982&page=1&PHPSESSID=79dd8f9492dd84f166b430340fae271a#Post1797982

Keep the guitars coming though, I will still add them to the main list when you provide them.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not expand that idea a little and have a section on "forum endorsed" equipment? It could include recommended equipment in several categories and price points.....electric guitars, acoustic steel-string guitars, nylon string guitars, amps, effects...I remember a couple of years ago someone started something similar, but I don't know what happened to it..

I think you and Millo have a good idea, Craig....it just seems a shame to limit it to just electric guitars.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Why not expand that idea a little and have a section on "forum endorsed" equipment? It could include recommended equipment in several categories and price points.....electric guitars, acoustic steel-string guitars, nylon string guitars, amps, effects...I remember a couple of years ago someone started something similar, but I don't know what happened to it..

I think you and Millo have a good idea, Craig....it just seems a shame to limit it to just electric guitars.

Good idea Sas. I just thought it would be harder to get a wide range of instruments, but there's no reason we can't try.

Bought an inexpensive ($100+) Squire Mini for my 7yo granddaughter last Christmas, good starter for the younger set.

Epi Elitist LP, Sheraton 2; Fender MIM standard Strat; G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy; Washburn WI66Pro; Agile AL2000; SX STL50;

Fender Blues Jr, Princeton 65; Vox AD15VT;

I have an Agile ST1000 $299 (But I put in Fender Noiseless pups in it), an Ibanez RG321 $272 stock, and a Gibson SG Faded Special one of the old ones with ebony fingerboard $499. Of those three they are some of the best guitars I have ever owned bar none and I had all of the classic guitars SG's, Les Pauls, ES345, Firebird, 50's Telecaster, 60's strats, on and on. I even have a $2000 custom made Philip Petillo axe 24 frets with a 25 inch scale it is in it's case in my shed as my least favorite guitar, It is the only one of my 4 electrics I never play. I also have a homemade from tele and strat parts guitar which is the best sounding guitar I have ever owned. I like the Agile the least because I never liked the fender sound for anything but rhythm guitar (In my hands) (in other folks hands they rock) but the Agile has a perfect 22 fret finger board and sounds just like an American Deluxe strat.

The tone is 80% in the players hands/head, and 20% in the equipment, a great player (which I ain't) can get great tone from any decent instrument. He just finds the sweet spot and uses that

By adding (US) I meant US dollars knowing that this is a multi-continent forum. I should have said (USA $)
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

The Godin Radiator is a fun little knockabout guitar. $477 list, $397 street. So I guess it would go in the $4-500 range, but it can be had for about $200 used.

Ross

www.deeppocketband.com

www.epitunes.com/Artists/Deep-Pocket

How about those Gibson Melody Makers! $350-400, and made in the good ol USA!! If they're a little too flat for ya, go hunt down the last gen MM with the tunamatic bridge and that honkin P90! For $200-300, you can find the Epi LP Junior with a set neck! Put a real P90 in it and let it rip, or you can sell the Harley and get that LP Hardtail mentioned. Only Kiddin!!!!!

Guess I'm the odd-ball here :)

I recently purchased a Jackson DK-2 made since the Fender purchase of Jackson. It came with a pair of genuine Duncan humbuckers and it has a good feel for the neck. With a Hardshell ( Gator ) case it was just over 500$. Its was less then half the price of the soloists I use/have used and doesn't sound too bad.

...I even have a $2000 custom made Philip Petillo axe 24 frets with a 25 inch scale it is in it's case in my shed as my least favorite guitar, It is the only one of my 4 electrics I never play...

Why do you dislike it? And what are your other "never-play" axes?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I recently came across this guitar and did some digging for reviews and it came up quite good. It's made where-ever and isn't real or even fake-real but it's interesting and well made.

I contacted them directly and they agreed to perform custom artwork for a small fee based on my artwork. (they'd need to see it to determine the estimate)

It's not everyones' thing but I think it might be mine for under $550.

Alden Blues Line

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Carvin CT6M, around $1700.00 depending on options and top, mahogany body maple cap, quilt or flame

Carvin CT3M, $1100, All mahogany, no maple cap

What can this strange device be?

When I touch it, it gives forth a sound

It's got wires that vibrate, and give music

What can this thing be that I found?

In the approximately $550 (USD) category I would place the PRS SE Custom. Maple cap on mahogany, excellent vibrato tailpiece which stays in tune even with huge downbends, a very useful range of tone from jazzy dark to seriously bright on the single tone knob, & the most comfortable neck/fingerboard of the 20 or so guitars I own. Best deal in the biz as far as I'm concerned.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Archived