Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Matt Schofield and a Hammond left hand bass question

Blues Disciple

Y'all have to take a few minutes and check out The Matt Schofield Trio online and on Youtube. This is a blues trio consisting of Matt on guitar and a drummer and a smoking Hammond player. No bass. The Hammond dude either plays a chopped B3 or a Korg BX3. You can definitely tell the difference between the two with regard to the volume and clarity of the bass (it looks like he runs the bass part of the BX3 through a large Ampeg bass amp). Anyway, it is some unbelievable blues from England I believe.

Now the question: If I were a Hammond player in a trio such as The Matt Schofield Trio (hey we all can dream, can't we?) what would be some good drawbar registrations to use for the lower manual (Hammond C3) that would be bassy enough to sound good, but loud enough to cut through the rest of the keys, drums and guitar ??? I have tried the typical 880000000 in the past and it doesn't seem loud enough to cover the bass part in a band situation.

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.

BD

"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I should add that any 8^8000000 setting where ^ stands for any value between 0 and 8 will sound good as a bass sound, and also will sound good for comping higher up on the lower manual. The second drawbar just adds some upper harmonic interest to the sound.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Most jazz guys use 848000000. I use 808000000. I just like it better. Seems more fluid to me.

I just got my XK System sounding totally friggin' sweet, btw. I spent about an hour tweaking the digital tonewheels to sound like my '58 B3. I had a direct out on the B3 plugged into a mixer and then ran the XK3 (sitting on top) into the mixer, matched levels, pulled out the first white drawbar, and went note by note. Then I ran the direct out of the B3 into the external input of the XK3 so I could hear both through the 122 Leslie. They are remarkably close. The B3 still has something about it, but the XK3 sounds better than ever.

I played it tonight opening up for Duke Robillard and it smoked!

Most jazz guys use 848000000. I use 808000000. I just like it better. Seems more fluid to me.

I just got my XK System sounding totally friggin' sweet, btw. I spent about an hour tweaking the digital tonewheels to sound like my '58 B3. I had a direct out on the B3 plugged into a mixer and then ran the XK3 (sitting on top) into the mixer, matched levels, pulled out the first white drawbar, and went note by note. Then I ran the direct out of the B3 into the external input of the XK3 so I could hear both through the 122 Leslie. They are remarkably close. The B3 still has something about it, but the XK3 sounds better than ever.

I played it tonight opening up for Duke Robillard and it smoked!

LOL - dude, you rock! :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The B3 still has something about it, but the XK3 sounds better than ever.

If you still have the original Shuquang or Sovtek tubes in it, you might try old Amperex, GE or Sylvania tubes. They very likely will close the gap even more.

I just watched a quick clip... can't really hear what the guy is doing basswise on my laptop (I'm on the road... on the way to St. Louis). No pedals... not surprised. Nobody plays them anymore.

Playing pedals proves you have too much time on your hands. It's a sure fire way to show folks that you spent all of your adolescence and quite probably the bulk of your 20's a virgin. :rimshot:
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Blues Disciple said: The Hammond dude either plays a chopped B3 or a Korg BX3.

I looked at several of the videos. In one he is playing a Korg, you can see the logo and also a small set of pedals. On another video he is playing what appears to be a chopped B3 with road case built all around it. Can't see any pedals on that video and he appears to be playing bass lines with his left hand.

The Hammond player in Matt Schofield's band is named Jonny Henderson.

This all leads to another question: Is there anyway on a Hammond to split the signal from the two manuals into two separate outputs---the upper manual going through a Leslie and the bottom manual into a keyboard amp. This would really allow for the bass volume to be boosted and clearer than to leave it mixed in with the rest of the Hammond sound. Just wondering....

BD

"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

B3-er

Im getting the rest of my XK system next week and Im going to start tweaking it. Like you I have a B/C3 next to it to do my comparisons and would like to tweak the XK3 to match it as close as possible. Is it just a case of listening to the tone between the two and adjusting the tonewheel set? I have never tweaked anything on my XK3 tonewheel wise. I heard someone use an oscilloscope to match his Hammond but I think this takes it beyond what you need to. I also have the two organs into 122's.

I wonder if there is any tonewheel sets available out there to try apart from the ones pre-installed?

I also got the B3 custom legs from Tonewheel General, it'll look real nice when I get them stained down.

Yeah Mate

I figured you would know those guys.....remember Dr. Zeus the harmonica player....it was the first time I had heard chromatic harmonica and actual lines being played on the instrument...he was great.

Duke has probably played has many gigs as anyone...he's been at it a long time.

Sorry for the detour on the thread.

Is that Duke Tomatoe ? We used to play w/ him and the All-Star Frogs

in Champaign, Ill. back in the 70's. Duke's always been burning.

You're second post was right; different Duke. I've never met Duke Tumato but our current drummer with Root Doctor, Rick Bole, was with him for 15 years.

Playing pedals proves you have too much time on your hands. It's a sure fire way to show folks that you spent all of your adolescence and quite probably the bulk of your 20's a virgin.

And? ;)

The Hammond player in Matt Schofield's band is named Jonny Henderson.

This all leads to another question: Is there anyway on a Hammond to split the signal from the two manuals into two separate outputs---the upper manual going through a Leslie and the bottom manual into a keyboard amp. This would really allow for the bass volume to be boosted and clearer than to leave it mixed in with the rest of the Hammond sound. Just wondering....

Not to be nitpicky, but the guy in those clips doesn't sound too strong with the basslines, now that I can hear what he's doing on better speakers. He doesn't have a lot of indepedence between the left hand and his right. But that comes with time. He also isn't really doing anything with the drawbars which is a pet peeve of mine with "younger" Hammond players, but then again it's hard to make drawbar changes when you're not playing pedals.

As for splitting the manuals, yes you could do that on a B3 or similar Hammond. It would involve splitting the wires that come from the bottom manual's keys into another preamp and amplifying that. I seem to remember reading about somebody doing that back in the day (McGriff maybe?).

An easier alternative is to get a direct line out of the Hammond's preamp, run it through a serious EQ or better yet a crossover and send just the low frequencies to a bass amp or the like. I used to do that, but lately I've found I'm getting plenty of what I need with the Leslie and the XK.

I have NOS RCA in there. I don't really use the distortion circuit, though. I've played around with it but haven't been happy with how it sounds, even at low levels. I rely on my tube 122 to put the grunge in if I need it.

I agree B3-er,

I don't use the pre-amp in the XK3 at all. It takes away the "punch" in the sound. I run the XK3 though a MS Pro145 and I let the pre-amp in the Pro145 do all the work.

(not the same as a real 122 of course , but I'm happy with the sound of this rig)

Archived