Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is this guy really playing????

Bass-a-roni

I have always wondered how this stinkin guy plays this slap part and I though by seeing it on You Tube I would be able to cop some of his tricks...but this is insane!!!! :eek:

"Yeah, I've got a special effect - it's this cable. You plug it into the amp and it makes things loud" -SS

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Louis Johnson is indeed insane. I can barely slap/pop accurately when my hand is IN position... his hand is all over the place! Definitely one of the most fun slappers to watch.

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

Just try the first part of the pattern, slow it waaaaaaaay down, and play it ala Larry Graham style. Most of his arm movement is for show. It is kinda hard to describe over the computer, I wish I could show you. Hit that first note with your index finger, mute all other strings with the rest of that hands fingers, and when you fan your arm hit E string going down and snag the G on the way back up. Make the hits ghose notes, and remember, slow it way down and gradually pick up speed. The triplets are with both hands making ghost notes. Kinda like how one of the ways Victor Wooten does his. Practice this. Fret a G on the E string with your index finger of your fretting hand, pluck or slap the note, then bring the other three fingers down of the fretting hand on that string hard enough to not only stop the string from vibrating, but to make a ghost note click sound. After you get the coordination down, add another fretted note for your triplet. YOu will play notes like a machine gun in no time. Of course there are thousands of different patterns you could apply this to, this is just one. Have fun.

Nice video.

They are lip-synching to the record and it's not all the same people who played on the record.

Is the other guitarist in the video Ray Parker, Jr.?

Louis played a wide variety of basses in his career (and always had the same great sound).

Louis was recording in his inimitable style when Victor was 10 years old.

His playing has been a major influence on mine.

No, it's not Ray Parker Jr. playing guitar. As for Louis' technique, he was/is an old school thumper who achieved what he did by having incredibly fast and flexible wrists and while he was quite showy, he did play with his wrist flailing away like that (albeit exaggerated in the video).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gt9wxKqnEQM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OEtNg_QTi8o

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1MTXd4swRVY

www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

What is on King's thumb??

Whatever it is, it makes him play really fast. (and good) I want one.!

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

My dad insists it's a thumb pick. I disagree. Either way, anyone notice he sounds just as funky playing fingerstyle? He's awesome.

I just spent an hour with Stuart Clayton's Slap Bass book and feeling good about the practice done. Seeing this, I think I'll go back and redo everything for another hour :grin:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Archived