Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone can recommend a good tuning machine for Tele?

RockNRoll

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fender/Schaller Deluxe Staggered Cast/Sealed Tuning Machines

Those are good and keep the look stock, but I've become a believer in locking tuners, like Sperzels, even on a hardtail guitar. I think the split pegs were the best tuners ever supplied by Fender.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Watch the dimensions if you go with the Sperzels. I drilled out a 57RI Strat neck to make Sperzels fit (they require a larger bore hole than the vintage tuners) but after a few months I found I preferred the vintage (split peg) tuners, but was unable to go back (unless of course I replugged them and redrilled them......)

They should fit a standard Tele though, but check before you purchase.

www.myspace.com/darcyhoover

thanks! saw the fender/schaller locking tuners on the Fender site, but didn't see that the locking tuners came in staggered array. To what exactly is it referred to when its 'staggered'?..is staggered necessary to fit the Tele?

The staggered array just means you don't have to use a second string T because the height of the B and E strings are compensated to create a more correct angle to the peg for proper winding onto the peg. So to answer your question NO you don't have to use the staggered array, but if you don't you should use a second string T.

OH...that T refers to the kind of 'guide' that the strings align under before going into the tuning machines? I have those not only installed on the 1st and 2nd strings but also a T on the 3rd and 4th strings on the Tele........so I guess that surely confirms no need for staggered array?

Archived