Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Soon to be outnumbered

splitting hare

As some of you may know, my wife is an avid drummer. She is also on several drum forums. One of them, drumforum.org is having a forum fest this weekend in Indy which we will be attending. I am actually looking forward to it as I have attended other gatherings with her like this. Some of her forum members have asked her to ask me to bring a guitar and amp. So, armed with only a Les Paul and a Fender Champ (and some effects), I will be the lone guitarist in a room full of probably 60 drummers. Yes, I know what you're thinking, "Eric, you're going to need a bigger amp." Well, that would be preferrable but we have to pack one of her kits and my gear, along with a few days worth of clothing in a Cavalier, so space is limited. We are both actually looking forward to this and there is supposed to be a 3 piece band there as well playing from time to time. So, okay, I will have at LEAST one other guitar player to talk to! And word has it that Bill Ludwig III is going to be there as well - a pretty big name in the drumming world.

My question is, has there ever been an official forum gathering for this forum? I am a new member and I recall reading a few posts that mention a member or two meeting here and there. I realize we are spread out vastly but it would seem cool to have some type of get together every now and then. I have not run across a better forum yet and this seems like a great group of people. Anyway, just food for thought.

Eric

Reverbnation stuff

More Reverbnation stuff

I feel happy! I feel happy!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been on here since July of 2002 and I don't recall any mass gathering? in fact I know there are guys on here that live in the same city and have not met in person. I think that if there is a three piece band there you will be fine with the Champ if you mike it into the PA. Sounds like fun I'm sure you will have a great time.

On another guitar forum, we had a gathering and still do in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

The very first one I started as I was going there anyway and one of the forum members lived there.

He is a school teacher and a very good guy.

I asked if he was up for a meet & greet and a beer or two and he said sure.

Next thing you know, several others were saying...hey, can anyone come?

Hey, why not? :D

We wound up with 9 or 10 of us to include the guy that had all the hardware for the forum at his house.

He brought his RV down from Pennsyvania, one guy came from California, one from NY, 2 from Ohio, me from Alabama at the time, and...I'm not sure about the others.

Hey, we all met an empty school house and played there on their auditorium stage.

We started walking up to each other as we showed up, introduced ourselves...and it was cool as hell. :):D

I will say at first, I was very apprehensive.

Stuff with the web I'm very leary of.

But it was weird, it was like we were old friends and that's how the whole weekend went.

We went and had supper together at a Mexican restaurant and drank several. Absolutely hilarious! :D

Did a good bit of jamming that turned out damn good!

Later Saturday night, we went to the KOA where the Forum owner had his RV.

He had a small fire going, we whipped out our acoustic guitars and had a great time.

Two of us had our wives there and they had much fun as well.

On THIS forum, I've met one guy in Columbus Georgia, Neil, the infamous BP BLASTER, :D and we played acoustic guitars down town.

That was also cool.

I'd say, if anyone wanted to head up a GUITAR PLAYER MAG get together, you may have a lot of takers.

It would probably be fun. :)

Randy

"Just play!"

There have been a few Forum get togethers. Problem was, if I recall correctly, they were on the west coast. Way to far for me, so I didn't even pay much attention. I believe the last one was a BBQ.

Yeah, distance would be one of the obstacles. Indy is well within our wheelhouse as far as traveling is concerned. West coast would be out of range for me as well.

Ellwood, thanks for the reassurances about the smaller amp. Actually, I haven't had that Champ for very long but it actually has some kick to it for a little thing. 12" speaker gives it a good full sound.

Just start up with all the DRUMMER jokes...and run like hell!!

I have to run fast AND far! Not only might I get bashed with drumsticks in hand, I have seen how far (and accurate) some drummers can throw sticks into a crowd!:)

Eric

Reverbnation stuff

More Reverbnation stuff

There have been a few Forum get togethers. Problem was, if I recall correctly, they were on the west coast. Way to far for me, so I didn't even pay much attention. I believe the last one was a BBQ.

There was a small one on the east coast, when Tedster headed up to New England (IIRC), and talk of Atlanta but I don't believe it ever happened. Ted was also the subject of another little get together in the U.K. when he was there on business, but most of the members at both these get togethers were mostly part of the SSS family, with little contact on the Guitar Player forum.

Louisville, Indy, Chattanooga and, of course, Nashville would be best for me. ;)

Actually, Chattanooga would be very cool for the scenery... Maybe have an outdoor, acoustic jam going at the Civil War memorial park near the top of Lookout Mountain.. whadda ya say, Hare?? ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Louisville, Indy, Chattanooga and, of course, Nashville would be best for me.

Actually, Chattanooga would be very cool for the scenery... Maybe have an outdoor, acoustic jam going at the Civil War memorial park near the top of Lookout Mountain.. whadda ya say, Hare??

Point Park is an awesome setting and I always love going up there. Not sure what the park officials allow in terms of gatherings. They used to allow weddings and such but I seem to recall them starting to frown on stuff like that - then again, it might be that they were just disallowing those activities near the monuments.Will have to check.

As Meg said, Nashville would be cool and probably more logical. There are guitar shows from time to time there and a get together could be organized around that. Furthermore, Gruhn's is a must stop for any guitar player at some point!

Eric

Reverbnation stuff

More Reverbnation stuff

Hare, no arguement about Nashville's being a guitar mecca as a selling point to meet here. Just didn't want to seem like a total jerk for trying to get everyone to come to me. ;)

And really, Chattanooga is such a beautiful area that even without Point Park we could find another wonderful place to congregate... maybe get permission from Rock City to sit out by the main overlook so long as we promised to keep from getting out of hand. The only issue there would be refreshments. (Can't remember if theirs are "museum" expensive. ;)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

... maybe get permission from Rock City to sit out by the main overlook so long as we promised to keep from getting out of hand.

You mean everybody would have to behave? Oh dang it. :D

www.myspace.com/donahelena

Support bored teenage ghost hunters. www.myspace.com/rock_paranormal

Well...often "gatherings" will revolve over some big audio/music event or conference...like NAMM or AES.etc

This year's Fall AES Convention is once again being held in NYC (October 5th-8th, Jacob Javitz Center). I haven't been to one since 2003...so I think I will try to attend.

http://www.aes.org/events/123/

If there's a bunch of interested forumites...maybe we could finally put some of the forum names to real faces and have a brew or two at some pub.

We might even find out how much alike we all are and that most of our forum skirmishes do not mean a hell of a lot or do much to reveal our true personalities, as when we are standing face-to-face....

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Nope, it has to Kansas City. It's an equal distance from pretty much everywhere else.

Nice try, but with all the UK members I think we're skewed to the east coast... well, at least as far as Chattanooga. (Of course, with Skip in Japan and Vince in New Zealand, we may have to meet in Guadalajara, Mexico or possibly Panama. :P

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Hmmm...Mexico would be kinda cool.

The possibilities are really endless and finding a definite central location will be impossible. The idea of centering it around another event is good IMO. That's kind of how Kat and I got into meeting the other drum geeks (it's okay - she calls them and herself that so I am allowed to also!). This past spring some forum members were pushing the Chicago Classic Drum Show - one thing lead to another and several forum members (and a lone guitar player) got to meet at the show and went out for pizza and beer one night. Good times.

If you got something going on in your area or region that you want to share with other forum members, let us know, maybe a few of us can hook up. Or if you would just like to introduce folks to your home town, that's cool too. Heck, I'd love to see NYC, KC, or LA - can't guarantee I could swing any of those, but I'm sure others could. Anyway, I am just kind of thinking out loud here. I will get thru this weekend a let everyone know how it went.

Take care!

Eric

Reverbnation stuff

More Reverbnation stuff

Archived