Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Organ patches 'defective' on DGX-220/YPG-225

spotty

I have one of these arranger keyboards and I've noticed on some of the organ patches - particularly the 'drawbar' ones, if I hold a chord on the right hand, then add a root with the left after, each time I press the root it may sound slightly different, as if a different harmonic in the note is being produced most strongly while the others are subdued. Its a bit of a pain because I can never predict exactly how that 'base' note will sound.

Are they emulating a characteristic of the actual hammonds or is this a bug or limitation in the keyboard?

M-Audio Axiom 61

Native Instruments B4 II

Rhodes emulation

Z3TA+

Hauptwerk

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found this issue when dealing with the Motif XS. This is the reply I got from someone on the Motifator forum. It makes sense.

---------

it's so-called "phase cancellation".

Assume you're playing a sound like drawbar setting 888000000. Every single note includes already an octave interval (the 16' and 8' drawbars).

If I play two notes as octave interval, the 8' drawbar from the lower note and the 16' drawbar from the higher note have exactly the same pitch!

Now depending on the relative "phase" - the moment in time when the waveform starts - they may have the same sign and add up. Or they have opposite sign and cancel. In this case, the tone disappears.

The "trick" used in a Hammond organ is that for every possible pitch there is only a single source. If I play an octave on a Hammond organ, the 8' tone from the lower note and the 16' tone from the higher note come from the same tonewheel, and are always in phase.

This is a fundamental limitation of sample playback synths, and one reason why modeling ("virtual tonewheel") emulations for Hammond organ are so popular.

Busch.

Excellent. That makes perfect sense to me, and I could see why you want the digital tonewheels then.

Facinating.

I see an upgrade in my future.

M-Audio Axiom 61

Native Instruments B4 II

Rhodes emulation

Z3TA+

Hauptwerk

Archived