Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GK RBH Cabs, How are they?

Seamy ALB

I have had a RB 700II head and a BLX 4x10 + 1X15 stack as my main gigging rig for this past 3 years. I have already replaced the speakers in both cabs once, I don't play excessively loud and I always monitor the amp for clipping. My gut feeling tells me that I never should have partnered the head with BLX cabs, but I went with the advice of the sales rep who said they would work fine.

I didn't buy the RBH 4x10 at the time because it was so exspensive, more than twice the price of the blx plus they didn't have one I could try in the shop. I know that I compromised the amps "Bi-amp" feature with the cheaper cabs but I didn't think they would die so easy!!

My question is are RBH cabs worth the money in terms of sound & durability?

Thanks in advance for your opinions/info!!

Cheers

Seamy

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wee bit 'o the GAS there Seamy?

My opinion would be yes because they are designed for a bi-amp head. They're pricy alright but how much have you aready put into your cabs by replacing the speakers?

There is always the added pleasure of only hauling one cab.

Have you played one yet?

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

You might want to hold out, I think I read somewhere that they will be adding a NEO 4X10 to their line. I'm personally gassing for a NEO 2X12.
Music has no boundaries. It is yours to discover, to enjoy, to draw from and to pass on to others.

Hi Matt, Nah not GAS the BLX cabs have died again and I'm just wondering if the RBH are any more durable. If the shop had have had the RBH cab I probably would have bought it but at the time he told me it could have taken 3 months to come in plus the sales guy said that the BLX cabs would do the trick. They did sound good but they just don't stick the pace or seem capable of handling the power of the amp.

I may be able to pick up a Ampeg SVT 410 HE Cabinet for reasonable money or would I be best to match the head to a RBH cab? I can get replacement GK speakers for about £240 but I really don't have the heart for these dam cabs any more.

Shame about your cabs man. That really sucks.

A lot of guys would tell you that an amp is an amp is an amp.

Personally I don't think everything needs to match - I think it's a preference thing.

Take your head and your bass and go try the Ampeg. You may love it!

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

I know that I compromised the amps "Bi-amp" feature with the cheaper cabs but I didn't think they would die so easy!!

Nonsense - I don't think you compromised anything. So long as you used the "low" (full range) output of the 700RB, you did nothing wrong by using that head with those cabs. It's not outrageous that one driver in a 4x10 might fail, but having to replace two is simply unacceptable. And if I were in your shoes, I also think I'd have very little loyalty to the brand, and would look elsewhere.

(Having said that, my GK head has been very reliable, and I regularly recommend it and the other RB heads to people ... not so much with GK's cabs, though - and your tail of woe confirms what I've heard from others about the Backline gear).

Something is wrong here, you say you monitor the amp for clipping, how?

You say you have blown 5 speakers but you don't play loud, how?

Yes the RBH cabs are more durable, they handle more power and cost a lot more. However you should not be blowing speakers that easily. I've blown about 3 speakers in a 40 year career.

The only way for a power amp to blow speakers at a low volume is if it's putting out DC voltage (a lot of it) this is easy to measure with a volt meter.

When I said "compromised" the amps bi amp feature I should have said "not using" that feature because the feature requires an RBH cab plus connecting the amp to the cab with a 4 core speakon cable. The amp then splits the signal between the main amp which drives the main speakers and a 50 watt amp which drives the RBH tweeter. I connected my BLX cabs to the jack outputs therefore bypassing the Tweeter amp section.

"Something is wrong here, you say you monitor the amp for clipping, how?"

I monitor the input led to make sure that it is not flashing ever. Perhaps I should have said the pre amp, it is never overdriven.

"You say you have blown 5 speakers but you don't play loud, how?"

I don't know if I have blown them or if they have failed over time, it was not an immediate change in sound quality. I generally run the Woofer volume at 12:00 and the input volume between 9:00-10:00, any louder and you would not be able to hear the drums.

I thought it may have been because I play 6 string and the cabs couldn't handle the low end. I also gig/practice 3-4 times a week and maybe they couldn't handle the load. I've been playing for 16 odd years myself and used Peavey, Carlsbro & Trace Elliot combos untill I got this dream rig no amp has never gave such bother. In fact my Trace has just turned 10 and works perfect.

I suspect that BLX cabs are an inferior product and I just want an opinion on the quality, durability and sound of RBH before I invest another, for me, big chunk of change.

I have ran the amp thru a friends Behringer 1200 watt cab and it sounds great, as it did in the begining with my own cabs I am very happy with the head but not the speakers.

Thanks for all the feedback so far!!

Well I went and got the ampeg cab an absolute steal at £280!!!!!

Its like new and I used on a gig last night and I have to say I am over the moon with the sound, full round and snappy all at once. I will have to tweak with the tweeter seting to see what kind of different sounds I can get but I have to say so far I am over the moon.

I also bought myself a van for gigging on Friday. Its funny cause its ten years since I bought my first car and the trace combo I've mentioned above, I hope I have the same luck with this!

Archived