Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

We auditioned a guitarist yesterday

EddiePlaysBass

Yeehaaw,

We had a lead guitarist come and audition for us yesterday and hired him after one song :) Well, he had prepared two songs, but we made him play 95% of our repertoire. After all, we had two hours to kill.

And he did not disappoint! Played some solo's, some fills and some frills here and there, and he was glad to hear at the end of the rehearsal when I told him that as far as we were concerned, he was hired.

I'll be sending him some country/rockabilly tunes for inspiration, as well as some of the original versions of the songs we play, and a list of our arrangements where they differ from the original (breaks and such). Obviously sometimes he'd based himself on the original track where we completely reworked it (Stuck On You, for one).

But we'll have some homework to do as well, I guess: we're not used to having solo's in our songs, save for my bass solo on Cry Cry Cry (should I ask him to double on guitar?) so we'll need to incorporate instrumental parts and work out chord changes for him to solo over.

All in all, this should be fun !! First gig with him is probably the September gig, at which time he should know most of our current material (it's all covers, except for one song) and then we can get to work on some new stuff. Having a lead instrument should open new doors ...

I'm just hoping he'll stay excited and won't run off or disappear from the face of the earth :(

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just hoping he'll stay excited and won't run off or disappear from the face of the earth :(

That is what bugged me the most with the bands I've been involved in. People just skip practice, don't answer their cell phone, are never home, and wonder why they get relieved of their duties.

Consider yourself lucky John!! We went through years of searching for a singer before finally getting a fit.

What style seems to be his strong point? Is he a noodler? A riff-meister? Shredder?

I keep telling my band they need a new bass player and they always say "yeah, everybody says that."

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

That's great David, he sounds like a keeper. Good luck and have fun with the new situation. I hope he turns out to be all that you guys hoped for.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Thanks y'all :) Like I hinted at before, this should expand our sound and repertoire greatly.

Only "downside" is that now the bass sounds less prominent in the mix but perhaps this is the time for me to start playing higher up, since both guitars are filling the bottom of the sonic spectre :grin:

Matt, he seems to enjoy noodling. Solo's are not his "strongest" point, according to him, but what he played sounded sweet enough. And he seems to have the "single sustained note adding soundtrack effects in intro's" thing down, if you know what I mean.

Like I said, hope he'll stay !!

Only "downside" is that now the bass sounds less prominent in the mix but perhaps this is the time for me to start playing higher up, since both guitars are filling the bottom of the sonic spectre :grin:

Oh man, that is one thing that drives me bonkers. I understand them wanting to have a "fat" sound but they need to know that the group sound is what is important. Speak your mind Jimmy. Or just by a distorion pedal and walk on their freqs and see how that goes over.

Not to change the subject again there Bill but keeping a band together is a freakin' nightmare and hopefully you have a combination of folks that can motivate themselves.

Keep us posted

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I can't edit my original post for some reason, so I'll just say it here: the new kid is working out GREAT ! He has really practiced hard to learn the songs on our demo recording, and has been working on solo's in a lot of the songs. That said, he doesn't even WANT to play a solo on every song. But when he does, it's tasteful and completely in the style of the song and genre we play. And he even asks us if he should add distortion here and there or play clean ...

He's really upped the level of the band immensely. So much so, that for the first time in over two years, I am feeling like the weakest link in the band. This is the position I always strive for, because that usually shows me what I need to work on. But when we rehearse with him it just brings smiles to all our faces, including his.

Funny thing is, he confided in me yesterday that he didn't even expect to LIKE playing in our band. We play a different genre than what he was used to playing (we're a little bit country, he's a little bit rock'n'roll :grin:) but he says he's already learned a great deal from playing along with and listening to the songs and albums I borrowed him, and he's having heaps of fun.

Seriously, I know everyone always raves about his own band, but he really makes the demo we recorded sound like crummy backing tracks :) Granted, that's basically what they are but I really look forward to going into the studio again and rerecording some of those tracks and recording some new ones with him.

More to follow, because I like talking about myself :grin:

Archived