Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

just starting

Kyu

hey all

i am very new to this forum (post # can tell >.<) i am in a rush to buy a keyboard. but need some recomendations on which would be best for a small church. [i tried the search topic... kept going in circies...'

maybe somebody is willing to sell one? (thinking around $400 ballpark) please pm if possible

please help~

really appreciate it thanks.=D

...what does this button do?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Before anyone can suggest anything, what sounds will you need (organ, piano, etc.) and what is your budget for a new keyboard? WIthout narrowing the field, options are endless.

Let me play Carnac the magnificent for a while. :grin:

*puts envelope to head*

Probably mostly organ sounds with some piano. Probably no saw leads since this is a small church

*puts second envelope to head*

$375-$425.

(this one was easy since the original poster said he a looking to spend around $400)

Now to answer Kyu.

Its going to be tough to find a professional keyboard for $400. Don't forget you will need some sort of amplification for it.

The cheapest keyboards on the market are the Yamaho SO3 ($400), the Roland Juno D ($540) and the Alesis Q6.2 ($500). These are all 61 key keyboards with no built in speakers.

Depending on your needs you may want to look at some of the low end Yamaha home keyboards. There are a few 76 key PSR models which have some nice sounds and they have built in speakers.

Tell us a little more about what you are thinking so we can give you better advice.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Ha... MLC - I thought you WERE psychic there for a moment -

until I saw that Kyu later edited IN the price range into his post. :)

I guess I saw the thread after the edit. It seemed liked a great opportunity to inject some of my poor humor. Then I felt oblidged to actually add some useful info so I didn't turn this thread into a long running joke.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Maybe a new or used Casio 100/110 could be found. I would bet the need for piano sounds is a higher priority than anything else. That is unless it is a traditional Gospel church.

Take up an extra collection next Sunday and up the amount to $500-600.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

For $350...I've got a brand new, studio use only, 2 year old Roland Juno-D.

I have the original shipping box, manual, and CD rom.

NEW CONDITION!

I'm upgrading...that's all.

Check out the specs on MF if interested.

You pay shipping from Ga.

Randy :)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Juno-D-61Key-Synthesizer?sku=700558

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/5/4/8/283548.jpg

"Just play!"

midlifecrisis, thanks for the reply.

we do have a amplification system set up we just need a better keyboard..... the one we are using right now is similar to the CASIO WK 3300 keyboard....

I am very interested in the PSR model if you can help me get more information I would really appreciate it... as far as budget is concerned i would like to keep it in the 400 area but if needs to be higher for better quality then it shouldn't really be much of a problem...

Strategery, thanks for the reply also.

I will need to learn more about your keyboard vs other brands and after research and responses.. if your keyboard is fitted to what we need then maybe we can work something out.

thanks much for the help

While not exactly in your price range, my church has a Motif that is used by the praise band. One can be found for $600 - $800 on eBay.

Most of the PSR models I've dealt with have a rather cheap feel to them. I'm not sure how well one would hold up to the demands of the services.

For the price range you mentioned, all you'll find is something comparable to the Casio.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Mr nighttime, thanks for the reply.

I wouldn't mind spending 600 dollars for a keyboard as long as it fits what we are looking for. I am looking for anything that is in reasonable value and use.

Do you recomend any certain models from Motif that might be suitable? I am assuming that these are a much better quality than the Casio we are currently using... hehe

-Thanks in advance

Mr nighttime, thanks for the reply.

I wouldn't mind spending 600 dollars for a keyboard as long as it fits what we are looking for. I am looking for anything that is in reasonable value and use.

Do you recomend any certain models from Motif that might be suitable? I am assuming that these are a much better quality than the Casio we are currently using... hehe

-Thanks in advance

Mr. Nightime was referring to the original Motif, simply called the yamaha Motif. Not to be confused with the Motif ES or the Motif XS. The Yamaha Motif will certainly do the job and it can be had for a fairly reasonable price on Ebay. Keep in mind that it will be used and subject to all the wear and tear of a used model which is dependent on what the owner did with it prior to your acquiring it.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Like SDS mentioned, I was not talking aboutnthe ES or XS. The ones I saw at that price were the Motif 6.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

thanks all for your reply.

i'm in the process of looking through the yamaha motif to find a good deal. if you happen to run into something good please let me know.

thanks for all the help guys.

The pre-QS Alesises are REALLY long in the tooth now. I wouldn't pay more than $200.

If you can find a Motif for $600ish, that would KILL. At my old parish, we bought an Alesis QS-8 that lasted about 7 years, then (after I left) bought a Yamaha S-90. Both were good purchases, but a Quadra now would have to be pushing 15 years old. Synths aren't like Hammonds, they don't last forever.

Speaking of, a used Hammond L-100 still goes for only $2-300ish. Great little organ, sounds absolutely awesome through a Leslie - which would cost you at least a grand. But Hammonds are really hard to kill.

No saawtooth leads, though... ;)

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

ah... lolz thanks for the help DafDuc. i did check out the Hammond L-100 like you recomended. It's not quite the style we are going for.... so i guess the Quadra is a BIT outdated? lol i am trying to find a Motif for a decent deal. ain't the easiest thing i guess.... do you know of any other sites besides craigslist.org , ebay.com ...? where they sell used sound equipment? if only i had the money to get a new one

Archived