Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is this guitar metal enough?

Xplorer

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Trucks, I thought you'd like that!

Are you using the JB in the bridge still? Who makes the quarter pounder(McDonalds?) lol

This is the only guitar I own that has single coils, I have been looking into some single upgrades. Someone suggested a Hot Rail in the middle, do you think I should go with the Pounder in the neck? I haven't had enough time to play with it to get a feel for the JB, but the Fender Twin that I tested the guitar out with loved it!

What a horrible night to have a curse.

Hey man, I have the stock bridge pup, it does the job, but the default wiring means its tapped, which I was a bit confused about... But anyway..

The QP is a Seymour Duncan. It gives a much fatter chunkier sound than the Duncan Designed jobbie that came stock. I find the stock single coils real "quacky" which works quite well in the middle position for that funky strat sound, but I found it a little thin sounding for the neck.

I was thinking about getting one of the stacked mini humbuckers to play with... So im not sure on those.

The Seymour Duncan site has soundclips of all the single coil's (and SC sized buckers) on its site... Worth checking out.

Nice buy though man, how much did you pay?

I got it for $450 used. They discontinued the 'skulls' finish so the guy was hard to talk down. He wanted $598, so I worked on him pretty hard.

I've always wanted a Jackson Pile 'O Skulls guitar. I knew I'd be walking out of the store with this guitar as soon as I saw it hanging on the wall! Besides, I was jealous of your Jackson. I needed a guitar to fall into that stratish void in my collection. Now I have a decent Floyd and some single coils to play with!

Here's another shot of the finish...

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/scmcfaul/DSC02801.jpg

The pickups in it are stock...

Bridge: Seymour Duncan® JB TB4 Humbucking Pickup

Middle: Seymour Duncan® STK-1 Single-Coil

Neck: Seymour Duncan® STK-1 Single-Coil

It's a Japanese made Pro Series DK2 Dinky right? This is a 2006 model.

The pickups in it are stock...

Bridge: Seymour Duncan® JB TB4 Humbucking Pickup

Middle: Seymour Duncan® STK-1 Single-Coil

Neck: Seymour Duncan® STK-1 Single-Coil

It's a Japanese made Pro Series DK2 Dinky right? This is a 2006 model.

Yep it is the same guitar.. mine maybe a 2005. Maybe they upgraded the specs

An erm.. If they did upgrade the spec JUST after I bought one.. I am going to be pissed!! :-)

LOL, that's why my guitar is just a little more evil than yours!

Hey, I also just bought a BOSS RC-2 Loop Station. That little pedal is SO MUCH FUN!!! Everyone that spends alot of time jaming alone should own one of these things! Three thumbs up.

I wish I got a family discount at the G.A.S. station!

Hope you're feelin' better!

? Did you manage to catch any or all of the shows a few weeks ago? or plannin' on any of them this weekend?

I caught the Winers & Cheep Trick. Sat up good and close to the stage and ignored all the flying picks.

It was interesting to see Robin start the show with the same guitar he opened with 26 years ago in Kingston... only now it's all beaten up.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

I did see a pic of the guitar in the paper! I was diggin the trem...

Unfortunatly I was in Arizona on buisness and missed the George Thorogood and Cheap Trick shows.

(btw, I didn't get the local family special on this guitar, I found it at Dr. Guitar's in Watertown!)

Dr. Guitar kicks ass

I picked up the Boss Loop Station from Uncle W's, as well as a new wall hanger, strap, picks, and a HSC for the Jackson!

Who is playing this weekend???

I had a friend that owned a Soloist with that graphic. It was built in 1992, and he bought it straight from the U.S. Custom Shop, when that was still in Ontario, California. His Soloist also had two tone controls + volume (like a Strat), instead of the single one your guitar uses. The pickups were Jacksons... I imagine that he probably ordered those to keep the price down a bit. (Just a guess.)

It was a really great guitar to play with. I wasn't nearly as talented as that guy at the time, but damn, he could really play. The one demo of his band from that time is something I do own, though. But I heard that the guy converted to Islam later on, and actually stopped playing for a while. Haven't heard from him since I moved out of Virginia (DC area) to New Jersey.

Anyway... great axe.

Archived