Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I just spun my first pick up... :)

rdepelteau

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks similar to an electro magnet we made once in physics...(pick ups aren't electro magnets by any chance?...there ya go. Possibly made my self sound stupid again.

Okay I got my hair cut! Its now this short *shows how short using hand*

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

SO, man tell us how they work (mainly for me but I guess it will give you some good explaining how a pickup works.)

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

Well to tell you the truth, since it was my very first, I wasn't concerned with detail, for instance, I did not double wind for a humbucking. And I did not really count the turns, I just put the thang on the drill and spun it until it looked big enough around. I did measure it's resistance, I have yet to measure it's inductance. I did use high power magnets and I think this does increase it's sensitivity.

My main concern was the shape, and I now turned the thing into an extension of the neck, which gives me nearly 30 frets of playability.... :) Now with a hidden neck pup and a piezo in the bridge, there will be no visible electronic parts. I want to use circuit board trimmers for pots, to reduce the size of the controls, to have just four little black pins sticking out of the body for volume and tone. I just don't know how durable they will be. I'll use crazy glue to affix the pegs on the pots, and wire the pots on a circuit board.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1418/1096767352_5eb6920f83.jpg?v=0

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1190/1096767594_9e660fd6ae.jpg?v=0

I think this bass is definitely coming along well.

;^)

In due time mr. Pires, I must first finish the bass. I am just as eager to hear it as anyone else...:) All I heard so far was the tick it made when I touched the pole with the screwdriver. But that was enough to give me a pretty good idea of the tone, which was clear and bright. I should finish it this month, hopefully.

And I will certainly make a sound clip of it as soon as I can.

;^)

What do we want??! (sound clips!) When do we want it!? (now!)

....please

Alright, so I made a sound clip. For a first trial at a pick up, it turned out OK. I might want to try spinning them in humbucking mode. And thanks for the links Saxofunk, it most definitely will be consulted. I was looking into this very matter today. My place is lit with fluorescent lights and they do produce a noticable hum, so I now must roll my next pup in humbucking mode. And that means I have to get a turn counter and set up a pup turning gizmo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSMyYue4nL4

;^)

Thank you Karl... :) I think I'll install this one permanently on that bass. The pup's thickness was a little too high to put on the next bass, that's why I retrofitted this one. I'm thinking of having just one thick center post for the next pick-up, and put it smack in the middle of the strings. How can I build a single coil humbucking pick up? What if I used two poles, reversed, and wound the coil over both of them, half in one direction, and half in the other direction? Would that give me a humbucking effect?

;^)

Bonjour, fellow French Canadian. :)

The Humbucking effect is done by having one coil/magnet one way, and the other the other way. That is one coil North/clockwise, and the other coil South/CClockwise.

I was wondering if I just put two poles reversed polarity, and wound the coil around them, half clockwise, and half CClockwise, if that would give me a humbucking effect?

;^)

And a few people asked me what my bass was called, so I had to make up a logo of some sort. I finished it yesterday, and I call my basses JJ.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1029/1126690265_780edf7e4c.jpg?v=0

Nice so you make bass guitars for a living?

I wouldn't say I make a living at it. I've only made eight so far, I did sell some. One in Russia, one in Europe, one in the States, and two in Toronto. But I'm just a beginner maker. In this business, time is everything, building a reputation takes time. I just keep building them, and eventually, perhaps I'll make a living at it, if enough people think it is a bass worth having.

Now I have learned so much with every new one I make that I can't really start production until I reach a level of proficiency worth producing. On this last one, I started making pickups, so before I master this new "art" it may take me a few basses, and I'm still working on the piezo, and the circuitry. And then extending the neck over the bridge pup gives me yet another area to develop. So you can imagine that I don't feel ready to set up a production line yet. Plus building a market takes time as demand is directly proportional to reputation.

At this point, I'm just too thrilled just to make them, and see that they turn out OK. When I have too many, I lend them to friends for Beta testing... :)

;^)

Kool, well when you start to make them to....perfection I'll buy one :P because that pick up sounded really nice. :) (Thats right I'm basing everything on the sound quality). What do your bass guitars look like?

SOmething to be aware of, if you aren't already, is if you have frets or fingerboard that you play on closer to the bridge than the pickup, it will not pick up those notes. The string has to be vibrating above the pickup for it to transduce the vibration to current, and if you are pressing the string against the fingerboard, it only vibrates between the bridge and where you are pressing it.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Thank you Karl, Here's a picture of my basses. I have two completed, one I'm retrofitting, and one almost finished. Plus the ovation hack job I did because I needed an acoustic bass to go to Bluegrass and Folk festivals.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1174/1128902273_6dbb918fa4.jpg?v=0

Picker, I thought about that, and though I won't get any sound from the neck pickup, the piezo in the bridge will pick up the sound. I'm wondering if there will be some string noise when I press the string down on the pick up... that might make such a racket that I may have to scrap the idea... oh well, we'll see, meantime, it looks good anyway.

;^)

Bonjour, fellow French Canadian. :)

The Humbucking effect is done by having one coil/magnet one way, and the other the other way. That is one coil North/clockwise, and the other coil South/CClockwise.

Of course I knew about the clockwise/counterclockwise coil winding deal. My point is that, for a

particular "Hum Attack" (if I may say so - hehe!) to be cancelled, both coils MUST get the same

level of Hum. One being 180 out of phase with the other, the hum is cancelled. Therefore they must

be quite close to each other for the effect to take place.

I was wondering if I just put two poles reversed polarity, and wound the coil around them, half clockwise, and half CClockwise, if that would give me a humbucking effect?

Well, no biggie for you to try it and compare the results. IMHO it has been tried before and, since

no pup manufacturer featured that trick so far, it probably does nothing to improve hum rejection

or sound characteristics (maybe it has adverse effects too).

I'm following your experiments closely, this is very interesting. Keep us informed and, by the way,

I join the others to say it sounds great. Next time I have to fly to YYZ (or drive - it happens too),

I'll try to contact you ahead of time to plan for a chat over a beer...

Thank you all for your appreciation, I like the tone I'm getting out of them, but it's really your opinion that counts. It's always a surprise the first time you plug a guitar, to hear what it sounds like.

Groover, not everyone like my basses as they are quite short, 25 1/2" scale, fretless, classical style neck, especially in my next ones, I will be building the neck very similar to a cello neck, without the flat spot on the side. I also have a very narrow string spread, 1" at the top, and widening to about 2-1/2" at the bottom.

Bobby LowTones, It's probably been tried before in some lab somewhere, who knows, I don't, but it won't take me long to find out if it works. I think it might indeed have a negative effect on the tone, but I won't know until I try it. Research is always exciting and full of surprise. Next time you're in YYZ, I'll be glad to show you my latest one...

;^)

Groover, not everyone like my basses as they are quite short, 25 1/2" scale, fretless, classical style neck, especially in my next ones, I will be building the neck very similar to a cello neck, without the flat spot on the side. I also have a very narrow string spread, 1" at the top, and widening to about 2-1/2" at the bottom.

Wow, that sure is different and your right, I may not like it. I still would be interested in trying one out (you never know until you try, right?) if I ever found myself in your area. I'd also like to know, just out of curiousity, what type and guage of strings your using.

I have to say that I also thought that bass with your homemade pickup sounded great. Looking forward to hearing and seeing more.

Archived