Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Holdsworth recommendations...

theTragicRich

Years ago, I was turned onto Allan's stuff with the album "Secrets", and loved it. However, over the many years, I never did venture out and buy another one of his albums.

So what other albums of his would you recommend to me, if I dug "Secrets" I like the writing, of course his guitar work, and even his synth guitar work, along with the other musicians on the album. Is the rest of his discography similar?

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I bought Metal Fatigue and was absolutly turned off when the singing started...IMO Horrible, Guitar playing great. Have not divulged in any of his stuff besides that.

What can this strange device be?

When I touch it, it gives forth a sound

It's got wires that vibrate, and give music

What can this thing be that I found?

I bought Metal Fatigue and was absolutly turned off when the singing started...IMO Horrible, Guitar playing great. Have not divulged in any of his stuff besides that.

Metal Fatigue has 2 instrumentals that are worth the whole CD, if you don't like the other stuff, Home and The Unmerry Go Round.

Anyway I also recommend Wardenclyffe Tower (all instrumental), where probably there is one of the most beautiful solos in the track "Questions"...Atavachron is also special in this regard, although very fast, the solos retain an highly lyrical and soulful inspiration.

Guess the Amp

.... now it's finished...

Here it is!

Thanks for the recommendations! I hope to get most (if not all) of his solo albums, pretty sure I couldn't afford all his guest appearances LOL.

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

if you're out to also get albums where Allan is the part of a band, I'd suggest the first UK album, The New Tony Williams Lifetime's Believe It, and the Bruford album One Of A Kind. All of them smoke.

And for a real oddity - look out for a copy of Level 42's Guaranteed. Allan plays on half of the album, and fits quite well. (Apparently he also did some gigs Level 42 had to do in Britain, he even volunteered to play and learn their entire set! Wouldn't that have made an interesting gig to be at :D

"I used to be "with it", but then they changed what "it" was! Now what I'm with isn't "it", and what is "it" is weird and scary to me. IT'LL HAPPEN TO YOU!" - Grampa Simpson

My favorite Allan Holdsworth playing is on his recordings with Jean Luc Ponty.

+1

And the Tony Williams Believe It album is not to be passed over. The Collection is a twofer and contains Believe It and Million Dollar Legs....for 10 bucks! :thu:

Read the reviews at the link below.

Lifetime: The Collection

Road Games is a great Holdsworth disc.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Archived