Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lead Vocals And Bass Playing AT THE SAME TIME!

DamianC

Hey friends!

Listen, I know there was some kind of article or something about how Geddy Lee explains his method of how he began doing vocals and playing bass at the same time. Its obvious that it needs a lot of practice and I still need to practice...well actually both instruments haha, but I want to actually begin doing both vocals and playing bass at the same time.

Does anyone know where this article is at that I can find online I searched through everywhere. Also, if anyone knows any tips on how to start doing this in a beginner level like perhaps a excerise or something I would appreciate it. I've come to understanding that its a pretty difficult skill, but I dont like thinking of things being difficult and if one human can do it so can I, (My state of mine! :) )

Thanks In Advance,

-Damian C.

-Damian C.

"You Become What You Think About Most Of The TIme."

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Learn the bassline.

2. Learn the vocal.

3. Play the bass unplugged and try to sing over the top. Do NOT listen to the bass, just keep your fingers moving like you're plucking a rhythm, and focus on singing.

4. Keep doing step 3 until it flows smoothly and grooves.

We can all tap our foot and play syncopations against it can't we? This is not that dissimilar. Likewise drumming - limb independance. I find it easiest with music I've written myself, even when both parts are quite complicated.

Alex

I recently saw Sting on The Police reunion tour. There is also Gene Simmons from Kiss. And, of course, Sir Paul. [A regional guy I like is Sal from The Goldstars out of Chicago.]

I believe the method outlined by Alex is basically the same thing Geddy (and everyone else) does. Both the singing and bass playing have to become so automatic that you don't have to consciously think about either one anymore.

It's kind of like driving to work. The first time (at least in the days before talking GPS systems!) you have to devote half your concentration to reading street signs and half to driving through traffic. Once the route becomes ingrained you can drive on "auto pilot" and just worry about traffic. (I swear some times I get to work and don't even remember how I got there anymore!)

Wow thanks guys you guys have been by far the most helpful ever!

I really appreciate it I figured it was something along the lines but I wanted to hear it from the actualy pros... and yeah I'm talk about YOU guys! Thank you so much I appreciate this bigtime now its time for me to just go at it and practice..

P.S. I apologize about the search engine thing. Maybe its just me if I couldnt find this info on google there MUST be something wrong with my method LOL!

Thanks guy have a wonderful weekend!

-Damian C.

-Damian C.

It's the unplugged bass thing that really helps me with the transition, it works wonders.

Actually the part that's I'm currently finding most challenging isn't so much a bass part but a faux guitar part, where I'm strumming major chords (1 3 5 voicing on ADG strings on first two chords followed by 1 5 8 10 voicing on EADG on second two chords, sequence B G E G) in 16ths at about 110bpm with 1231231231231234 accenting. The rhythm completely crosses against the melody but I will get there eventually!

Alex

1 3 5 voicing on ADG strings on first two chords followed by 1 5 8 10 voicing on EADG on second two chords, sequence B G E G) in 16ths at about 110bpm with 1231231231231234 accenting.

Alex

Put that in your search engine.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

1 3 5 voicing on ADG strings on first two chords followed by 1 5 8 10 voicing on EADG on second two chords, sequence B G E G in 16ths at about 110bpm with 1231231231231234 accenting

Anyone who can do it is using sorcery.

<Stands, points at Claber.> "WITCH!!!"

Seriously, I just admire the hell out of you guys who can do it. I just find it impossible.

Push the button Frank.

There is no trick to it, but it does require three things: repetition, repetition, repetition. It is difficult and time consuming. The last band I was in fired the singer. We became mostly instrumental light jazz and blues. I had sung lead before, but not as a bassist. I gradually started picking up more vocals. I wasn't satisfied with playing root notes while singing, so I put hours and hours into separating the walking bass lines from vocals in my head. The most difficult, which probably consumed 10 hours of repetition by itself was 'Mack the Knife'. The first three verses I would just alternate the 1 and 5, but the last four verses I walked all the chord changes at 72 bpm. If your not familiar with the song, it modulates a half step every verse. A brain twister.

I walk and sing (at about 70 bpm) some old standards like Autumn Leaves, I can't give you anything but love, fly me to the moon, etc.. I do Moondance at about 60 bpm. I don't even have to think about singing blues anymore, Crossfire, Pride and Joy, Crossroads, etc.. All the homework paid off, and I haven't seen any other bassist do what I do, although I'm sure some do. I did enjoy the challenge, it forced me to go where I didn't think I could.

Singing and playing root notes should be easier than singing and playing guitar.

As anything else, it boils down to how much work you are willing to put into it. The more of it you do, the easier it gets.

Does anyone else find this: I normally play with fingers, but I find it's a little easier to play and sing simultaneously when I use a pick.

Shirky

I would find it equally difficult either way, as the fretting hand is the one that has to be mastered.

It's the unplugged bass thing that really helps me with the transition........Alex

Brilliant. I will try that. These things are what will win you another Blowtorch.

Peace

Paul K

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Hi Damian C and welcome to the forum,

Singing and playing can be a little rough starting out, but it gets easier with time. Pick a song with an easy 8th note root line, say "Smoke On The Water" and learn it and a few more similar ones. Then pick an easy walking blues like "Pride and Joy". You can develop a nice repertiore with songs like these and after awhile move on to more complicated stuff.

Just a few ideas. Good luck!

Jim

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Well, I started out as a singer, and picked up the bass to keep the job. (The other bandmembers wanted to reduce the number of splits of pay.) So I reversed: I knew the lyrics and had to apply the bass line to them. It can be done, but it helps if others also sing so the lead vocal can be rotated.

Steve Hanson

Building from the bottom up

Geddy talked about learning his parts during Hemispheres and Farwell to Kings. I believe he said that they wrote all the music and vox, recorded them (seperately) and then it was tour time...d'oh!! He did exactly that.. to the woodshed and just practiced them to death til they were imbedded.

One thing that I have done that helps (for me) is to learn the parts then slow i t w a y d o w n. Get the feel for it then start to bring it back up to speed.

We just started doing "Lowrider" Took a few run throughs to get that to flow.

I've read somewhere of people singing in one key over another progression and different time signatures etc. I have NO clue how they do it. That's where the sorcery comes in. Alas, every tree knot and trunk I look in there are no witches to be found. :(

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry I had to come back to this thread and once again show my appreciatioin I know some people might get annoyed and I apologize in advance for bumping this old thread but I want to thank everyone for responding. I have seen myself get better at this since the time I read this. Maybe someone else would also like to take a look at this t hread as well. Anyways, much appreciated folks!

-Damian C.

1 3 5 voicing on ADG strings on first two chords followed by 1 5 8 10 voicing on EADG on second two chords, sequence B G E G) in 16ths at about 110bpm with 1231231231231234 accenting.

Alex

Put that in your search engine.

...and smoke it? :D

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived