Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Questions for UK Forumites

Chad Thorne

When my wife, Susanna, graduates from nursing school in May we plan to take a trip to Ireland (her heritage) and Scotland (mine). So:

- Is May/June the absolute worst/most expensive time to travel to the UK?

- Which airport might be least expensive to fly into and travel from? (So far it looks like flying into Glasgow is the lowest-priced ticket, but is that a good place to start our "Celtic World Tour 2008" from - e.g., can we get on BritRail there?)

Any other helpful info greatly appreciated!

- Chad

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only problem with going to Scotland in June is that it *might* be the beginning of the Scottish Monsoon!! Although June is often the nicest month of the summer.

Glasgow Airport is actually in Paisley. You need to get a taxi to Paisley Station to get the train to Glasgow. It is about a mile from airport to station. They'll probably charge you a lot. The taxi drivers hate short journey there.

I think there ought to be a bus from the terminal to the station. This would be much cheaper. Your travel agent ought to be able to find out.

It depends where you are going to live? Let me know. I used to live in Paisley and know the Glasgow area well. I still keep a flat just outside Glasgow (Wishaw).

G.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

The only problem with going to Scotland in June is that it *might* be the beginning of the Scottish Monsoon!! Although June is often the nicest month of the summer.

Glasgow Airport is actually in Paisley. You need to get a taxi to Paisley Station to get the train to Glasgow. It is about a mile from airport to station. They'll probably charge you a lot. The taxi drivers hate short journey there.

I think there ought to be a bus from the terminal to the station. This would be much cheaper. Your travel agent ought to be able to find out.

It depends where you are going to live? Let me know. I used to live in Paisley and know the Glasgow area well. I still keep a flat just outside Glasgow (Wishaw).

G.

Geoff

Thanks, Geoff. We're not planning to live in Scotland unless I can convince my wife to emigrate, and then she'd lobby for Ireland (*). This will be our "Celtic Roots 2008" tour. We want to spend about 10 days visiting both countries, so jumping off anywhere in either one is o.k.

I was meaning, are you in a hotel in Glasgow or what? My pad will be rented out come the New Year and won't be available, I'm afraid.

A word.

The F....... B........ term you used would likely get you a knife between your ribs in certain parts of Glasgow.... or Edinburgh, and particularly in parts of Ulster & Ireland.

Please don't use it.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

I was meaning, are you in a hotel in Glasgow or what? My pad will be rented out come the New Year and won't be available, I'm afraid.

A word.

The F....... B........ term you used would likely get you a knife between your ribs in certain parts of Glasgow.... or Edinburgh, and particularly in parts of Ulster & Ireland.

Please don't use it.

Geoff

Thanks for the heads up, Geoff. Generally speaking I never would use it, and for sure not in the UK. It was in quotes because it was a line form Mike Myers' "Scottish Soccer Hooligans" sketch on SNL, thought that others might recognize it. I meant it as a joke but if I thoughtlessly offended anybody I truly regret it.

Scottish Soccer fans have had the FIFA 'Fair Play' award on at least one of the last few World Cup events.

Generally speaking, there has been no hooliganism of note for the last 20 years.

England, on the other hand.............................

G.

Myers might do a reasonable Scottish accent (just) but he needs to get his facts straight.

G.

Wouldn't be surprised. In thinking about this (I continue to feel crappy about it) it brings home to me how much we in the U.S. just really don't know what goes on elsewhere in the world - putting aside for the moment that this forum is on the WORLDWIDE web, a fact I failed to consider, even though I like to think of myself as a guy who tries to stay informed. I guess I just assumed that if MM used the phrase in a sketch on TV, apparently with impunity, it would slide. Probably the line wouldn't engender strong reactions from an exclusively American audience. Though, to be fair, the line was uttered by a not-very-sympathetic character to begin with, and I suppose MM could say "I'M not saying it, this nasty piece of work I'm portraying is." But I've mentioned MM to you before and I get the impression you're not his biggest fan, Geoff, and it may be because of stuff like this. Certainly the characters he creates who are supposed to be Scottish or of Scottish descent - I think - reflect his conflicting feelings about his own Scottish heritage.

Anyway, I do wish now that I'd thought a moment before I "spoke."

Scottish Soccer fans have had the FIFA 'Fair Play' award on at least one of the last few World Cup events.

Generally speaking, there has been no hooliganism of note [in Scotland] for the last 20 years...G.

Yep, you mentioned that to me once before and isn't it nice. Scottish fans should be proud of themselves. MM always goes to that Scottish accent, though, probably because his English accent is far worse...

Myers might do a reasonable Scottish accent (just) but he needs to get his facts straight.

G.

Wouldn't be surprised. In thinking about this (I continue to feel crappy about it) it brings home to me how much we in the U.S. just really don't know what goes on elsewhere in the world - putting aside for the moment that this forum is on the WORLDWIDE web, a fact I failed to consider, even though I like to think of myself as a guy who tries to stay informed. I guess I just assumed that if MM used the phrase in a sketch on TV, apparently with impunity, it would slide. Probably the line wouldn't engender strong reactions from an exclusively American audience. Though, to be fair, the line was uttered by a not-very-sympathetic character to begin with, and I suppose MM could say "I'M not saying it, this nasty piece of work I'm portraying is." But I've mentioned MM to you before and I get the impression you're not his biggest fan, Geoff, and it may be because of stuff like this. Certainly the characters he creates who are supposed to be Scottish or of Scottish descent - I think - reflect his conflicting feelings about his own Scottish heritage.

Anyway, I do wish now that I'd thought a moment before I "spoke."

No I've nothing particular against MM, and I really like some of his work, but he doesn't seem to have any concept of the psyche & traditions of those he's 'sending up', if that's the phrase.

The quote we were talking about would be downright dangerous in certain quarters, and might, literally, get you seriously injured.

The depth of sectarian hate is often impossible to understand to those living outwith it, since it is, to many of us, totally illogical.

I was born & brought up in the West of Scotland which has its fair share of sectarianism (Rangers/Protestant, Celtic/Catholic) and now I am 60 years old, standing back from it I am deeply ashamed of the consequences on both sides of what is claimed to be (note the use of words here) religion.

I'm not entering into a religious discussion here, I'm pointing out that maybe it's best for MM and others not to stir up the sectarian hornet's nest.

And you haven't offended me, no sweat there, but if you are going to be in Scotland & (Northern) Ireland, phrases like the above are best left off the platter.

:)

G.

G.

You fiesty bunch! ;):P

Get roon ther n kuck 'im in'na heed

:grin:

I love Scotland.

http://www.websmileys.com/sm/sad/014.gif

See what I mean?

It *should* be, of course,

Get roon 'err an kick 'im in ra heed!!!!

Obviously!!!

:)

But I'm glad you love Scotland, so do I and I'll probably end my days back there.

G.

Archived