Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A small but cool cure for sudden GAS...

Sven Golly

Okay, so thanks to an upturn in my gigging frequency as well as some lucrative I.T. contract work, I found myself able to succumb to some small GAS pains without incurring the wrath of my bank... ;)

So, presently winging its way to me from sunny Las Vegas is this pretty little thing:

http://www.svengolly.com/img/SE-1a-small.jpg

Thanks to Linwood for posting about this (and other items) in the Garage Sale thread... :thu:

So now I'm just wondering whether I should ship this thing down to Cali to get'er pimped out with the X upgrade. Any SE-1 owners around who have done this? I'm sure it's a no-brainer, especially given the price.

In the meantime I'm looking forward to firing this puppy up in the studio and making my ROMplers and other digital gear quake in their cold, sterile boots! ;):rawk:

Sven's a happy boy... :D

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man, that does my heart good seeing that you got it. Steve would approve. As far as I know, that se1 stayed in his studio and is like brand new. I remember when he got it. He had to have it after hearing my midimini. Steve could play bass on the thing like nobody's business. You are gonna love having this piece. It's a must have.

Man, that does my heart good seeing that you got it. Steve would approve. As far as I know, that se1 stayed in his studio and is like brand new. I remember when he got it. He had to have it after hearing my midimini. Steve could play bass on the thing like nobody's business. You are gonna love having this piece. It's a must have.

Thanks, Linwood... I appreciate your help with this. Keith has been great about the whole transaction, and I couldn't be happier (well, I could if it were here already and I was playing it, but y'know what I mean ;) ).

A SMALL cure for GAS?? That's awesome!

Hehehe... well, it's only 3 rack spaces, and not very deep... but yeah, you're absolutely right. :thu: I was trying not to yell from the rooftops too much. :D

P.S. Any chance of us getting to hear some MP3s from that bad boy after you get it settled in at its new home?

Sure thing, Noah... I'll have to regain my subtractive synth programming legs again (too long in ROMpler World :( ), but I'll see what I can throw together. Going to be doing an awful lot of playing over the next few weeks, I'm sure. :thu:

Sven - welcome to the club! You will love it.

To me, the x upgrade is worth only for the multiple MIDI controller assegnations, which could be useful. Personally, I didn't upgrade mine.

There are, however, a couple of upgrades that I *do* find indispensable, if there aren't installed yet:

- The envelope 'snappification' (just changing a resistor)

- The ext input/filter feedback mod. This just requires soldering a jack and a couple of wires. I don't use the ext input too often, but the filter feedback does *a lot* to "Minify" the SE. You give up the noise generator when using it, but to me, it's well worth it. :)

Also, beware of the presets... to me, they're absolutely disgusting, and don't represent the instrument's personality at all. I didn't keep a single one.

Enjoy the SE-1. Is one of those instruments which cause real emotional attraction! :grin:

Carlo

Congrats, Sven! I heard Emerson use one of those babies on one of ELP's tours during the '90's. Ripped my skull off! Enjoy!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I'm always curious how you'll perceive the differences now. Will they be subtle or big? Let us know what you hear/feel.

I think the subtle sonic power of non-virtual gear is still a BIG factor, if you care enough to deal with it. It's like a secret weapon now - can add just the right "oomph" to your track.

Relax and float downstream...

In the meantime I'm looking forward to firing this puppy up in the studio and making my ROMplers and other digital gear quake in their cold, sterile boots! ;):rawk:

Sven's a happy boy... :D

Hey Sven, congrats! But uh...how's the acoustic piano patch on this baby? :crazy:

Hey Sven, you'll dig this big time. I really enjoyed mine, and had mild seller's remorse after selling it. Marino is right: ignore the presets. It doesn't sound exactly like a mini, but like the Creamware ASB, will get you damn close. And of course, it has all those knobs, buttons and switches!
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I am sorry I never got into the analog synths. Am I too old to learn now?

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

What's that you're playing in your avatar?

kanker, that's my M3 ahh to feel my organ....

I may be a dog, just ask It git C.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Oh brother... :rolleyes: KC has been reduced to organ jokes. B A D organ jokes.

Jim, you ARE a dog... a Hound dog. :D

http://www.willmot.com/SRV/CD/covers/hound_dog_man.jpg

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Looks a lot like an analog additive synth to me... ;)
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Archived