Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OK, MIDIOTS, got a question...

C.J. Lewis

So I'm talking to a gentleman today with a Roland D-50 and a Kurzweil ME-1. The sustain is not working from the D-50 to the Kurz. I have been through the MIDI Implementation charts of both units - we know that the D-50 sustains internally, and the guy's Juno 2 sustains when plugged into the D-50. The little MIDI light on the ME-1 comes on every time he moves the pedal up or down, so I know that the signal is getting through. Roland tells me that the D-50 wasn't designed to send C64 out the MIDI output, but we've already proven that wrong.

My tech support guy is on vacation for another week or so, so I'm the last line of defense...help? Thanks in advance...

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, CJ... if you've got a PC with a MIDI interface handy, you can run MidiOX and see exactly WHAT is being transmitted by the D50 when you depress the sustain pedal.

The only thing I can think of off the top is that you have the sus pedal plugged into the "Pedal Switch" input, rather than the "Pedal Hold" input. Check that you're in the right spot. ;)

Let me know whether that helps.

(note to mention that I was in mid-reply when I went to plug in my D-50 and refamiliarize myself with the MIDI parameters when Mike posted his response above... ;) )

Also, edited to add: you can always set the "Pedal Switch" up to transmit on any MIDI CC #, including 64, so you might want to try that to see whether it works or not.

OK, thanks for all the replies (good ones, in fact!) Turns out, (and this is the weirdest MIDI phenomenon I have ever seen), if he holds down a note in the bottom of the keyboard while playing something one the top, the entire thing sustains, but it WILL NOT sustain if he's simply playing something above middle C. Weird, huh?

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

Does this particular D-50 have the M-EX expansion in it (from Valhalla)? The one that adds a bunch of features to it and makes it pseudo-multitimbral? That might explain the odd behaviour (the split functionality on the stock D-50 shouldn't cause such behaviour).

Also, does this happen on all D-50 patches?

You know we can't leave this one unresolved, right? ;)

:snax:

if he holds down a note in the bottom of the keyboard while playing something one the top, the entire thing sustains, but it WILL NOT sustain if he's simply playing something above middle C. Weird, huh?

I wouldn't be surprised if the D-50 sends "all notes off" (CC123) when the last key is released but the ME-1 is not interpreting it properly. Again, analysing the MIDI data would provide the answer.

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

Archived