Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Straplock Screw Hole Stripped.. Again

Professor Monkey

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about an insert?

That way...you can use the same screw when you reattach it.

Randy

This may not be the EXACT one you need...but you get the gist.

May require just a slight amount of drilling.

http://www.vandykes.com/product/02365730/

$.99 - Pretty cheap fix.

http://www.vandykes.com/images/products/02365730-lg.jpg

Threaded inserts are the ideal solution for joining knockdown furniture or for any application where wood joints are often disassembled. Simply drill the pilot hole slightly smaller than the insert selected, turn into the wood with a slotted screwdriver until it is flush, and then use a machine screw or bolt to attach the other part.

"Just play!"

2 ways. One, drill out a predetirmined dia, get some 2 part wood epoxy drill a small pilot hole, put the 2 part expoy in both holes, screw in your staplock screw and let it set over night. (most 2 part epoxies dry fast but take a day or so to reach a full set.

Best Fix - Find a screw that has a larger dia than the original while still psssing through the straplock, I would also get a screw at least a 1/4 longer so it bites into "virgin" wood. If you have stripped it to the point that wood is missing, you may want to fill with expoy.

Do you bounce around a lot while playing? In my almost 50 years of playing, I have never stripped a strap screw. I was know to get crazy with my axe on stage. I have stipped other screws from removing and replacing parts too many times.

Peace

I don't know..... when I need to fix wood holes, I take some hardwood sawdust and mix it with carpenters glue to make a paste, and jam it into the holes with toothpicks (the tyoothpicks, which are a soft wood, would just be to use to shovel the mixture down deep into the hole), smooth it over, and call it a day. Another answer would be to make a hardwood plug the size of the hole, mix the glue/sawdust, fill the hole then jam the plug into the hole, tap it down and nip it off. Then when it dried for a day or so, re-drill the hole for the straplok.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I like Bill's solution. I just read an article comparing different glues. The waterproof wood glue came out on top. Titebond III beat out the epoxies and gorilla glues.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

I've used toothpicks for a lot of repairsBUT...most toothpicks are made from soft pine...and if the screw didn't really bite hard when you fixed it the first time, it may be that those pine toothpicks just gave out.

The screw must go in tight...otherwise if there is any looseness...even you just standing there, the weight of the guitar will pull it out.

Yeah...like Bill said, get a hardwood plug that will fit snugly...so you have to actually tap it in a bit.

Put some wood/Elmer's glue in the hole...tap in the hardwood plug...let it dry overnight.

Then drill a smaller-than-the-screw pilot hole...thread the screw in about 3/4ths of the way...back it out, apply some wood glue to it...and then screw it in all the way...nice and tight.

That should hold.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Archived