Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Grammy chief breaks silence on sex abuse claim

Have you guys heard about this? [url=http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20011102/en/music-grammys_9.html] [quote]LOS ANGELES(Reuters) - Denying allegations that he sexually assaulted or physically abused a female employee, Grammy chief Michael Greene said Friday he is forgoing the chance to clear his name in court in order to spare sponsors of the prestigious music awards a ``crippling\'\' legal battle.[/url] Attorney Gloria Allred, who represents the woman, Jill Geimer, called his statement ``self-serving and pathetic.'' The Los Angeles Times has reported Geimer would be paid $650,000. [/quote]

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hard to know WHAT tho think. I'm not very impressed with Michael Greene in general, and Gloria Allred strikes me as about as opportunistic as an attorney can get. I'm a big supporter of the rights of individuals to be free from harrassment, and sexual assault is about as vile a crime as I can think of short of murder or maybe child molestation. But then again, some sick people will accuse innocent people simply because they're rich, powerful or famous and they have a desire for money, a political agenda or just want to be famous themselves. OTOH, some people have been legitimately harmed by the aforementioned rich / powerful / famous people, and have a right to justice. Short of a fair and inpartial trial, who's to say who is telling the truth? We only get the media reports and the spin from both sides. Seems to me that hardly anyone's clean anymore - the spin cycle is always on, and the media isn't as interested in getting things cleaned up so the truth comes out as they are interested in profiting from selling the dirt. Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html email: pokeefe777@msn.com

Speaking of assualt charges, Terry Jacks, who wrote "Seasons in the Sun" back in the day was found not-guilty of spousal abuse in a local court last week. I'll try and find the paper with the details, but us coast people have been hearing about this since he was charged ealier this year. Apparently his wife charged him with spousal abuse after he threw a dishrag and cursed at her, prompting her to lay charges, file for divorce and force him to sell their waterfront home. Will post more later..
meh

Rob, you got the asshole's title wrong...it's "Michael Greene; President and CEO of the Academy", also, never-ever use the word "Grammy" with out the (tm) symbol following. Same with NARAS (tm). I really hope it's true...couldn't have happened to a nicer pompous ass. Spare the academy and it's sponsors...spare me. Like the sweetheart record deal he got from Danny Goldberg a few years ago (once exposed, he gave up the deal). Funny how his salary is one of the highest of any of the 'President and CEO's of pretty much [b]any[/b] "Non-Profit" organization. FYI...their official party line is that the 'Staples Center' in helLA gives them a reduced rate to hold the awards ceremony there as opposed to alternating the ceremony between NY and helLA...it wouldn't have anything to do with the pissing match he got into a couple of years ago when he 'disrespected Mayor Guiliani'. I wonder if NARAS (tm), will hold this year's insomnia therapy session in NY to show support for the city...or keep it at the Staples Center in helLA so they can reap the benefits of the "discount". Let's see...non-profit organization with one of the highest paid 'President and CEO's in the non-profit business...yet they go bargain hunting for a venue to hold the "Grammy Awards(tm)" ceremony...how about that for irony. [Yes, I am a voting member...I can officially bitch]

Fletcher

Mercenary Audio

Roscoe Ambel once said:

Pro-Tools is to audio what fluorescent is to light

this link is from a couple years back, but Greene's salary outstripped even the legendary Jack Valenti's salary as head of the MPAA. http://www.pulitzer.org/year/1999/beat-reporting/works/day4/page1.html ok, now what does Hilary Rosen make (I hesitate to say earn)? read on...

<> Well, well, well. If the charges were groundless, it seems that fighting the charges in court would come to a lot less than $650K. Sexual harassment is very difficult to prove, too; Greene would have a very good chance of prevailing, unless there were videotapes, witnesses, or other hard evidence. To be fair, Greene has revived NARAS. But the comments on his salary are true, and there are some people who claim MusiCares is not all it appears to be. Rock and Rap Confidential is particularly on his case, and is at least a non-NARAS source of information about the organization.

I'm more impressed that Terry Jacks has a waterfront home to sell! :p [quote]Originally posted by 'rold: [b]Speaking of assualt charges, Terry Jacks, who wrote "Seasons in the Sun" back in the day was found not-guilty of spousal abuse in a local court last week. I'll try and find the paper with the details, but us coast people have been hearing about this since he was charged ealier this year. Apparently his wife charged him with spousal abuse after he threw a dishrag and cursed at her, prompting her to lay charges, file for divorce and force him to sell their waterfront home. Will post more later..[/b][/quote]

Archived