Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Aging a Baby Grand

Rampdog

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a link that should get you the appoximate age.

http://www.bluebookofpianos.com/serial1.htm

I grew playing an old (1910's) Chickering baby grand. Nice bright sound. At a certain point, it wasn't worth rebuilding. Years before my family bought it someone had pounded the tuning pins in to tighten them, but eventually they loosened and it needed more money put into it than it was worth. As my technician put it- old pianos aren't like old violins, they eventually just wear out.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Here is a link that should get you the appoximate age.

http://www.bluebookofpianos.com/serial1.htm

I grew playing an old (1910's) Chickering baby grand. Nice bright sound. At a certain point, it wasn't worth rebuilding. Years before my family bought it someone had pounded the tuning pins in to tighten them, but eventually they loosened and it needed more money put into it than it was worth. As my technician put it- old pianos aren't like old violins, they eventually just wear out.

Thanks for the site... Now I just have to find where the serial number is... The movers didn't treat this piano as well as they should of... They broke one of the hammers off and I need to replace one of the second octave C wires. Ouside of cosmetics, it could use a new finish on it, it's not that bad... This thing weighs 900 pounds... I want to donate it to a church or someone, get the write off for my taxes and buy a electric keyboard for room and ease purposes... Hopefully you guys can help me when it comes to that part...

Thanks again dregs... :thu:

How the heck did the movers break off a hammer? If they pulled the action to move the piano, they are turkeys.

The serial number is most often stenciled on the plate, between the bass and treble tuning pins, or off to the right near the high treble tuning pins. A lot of makers also stamp it into the removable parts like the keyslip, fall board, cheek blocks, and key frame.

--wmp

How the heck did the movers break off a hammer?

I was wondering the same thing. They have insurance that should cover stuff like that- unless of course you used the "Five of My Buddies (All the Pizza and Beer You Can Consume) Moving Company".

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Archived