Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland VK-7: Repair or Replace?

Joe Muscara

As I mentioned in this thread, my VK-7 has been acting up a bit lately. I have a couple of keys around F below middle C that don't fire every time I hit them. Sometimes, I can hold them down and after a second, they'll play. Obviously, that's not useful when I'm trying to play it with the band. My tests indicate it's in the keyboard area, as the sound is properly output when I control it via MIDI and use another controller and the output does the same thing over MIDI when using the VK-7 to trigger another device.

Though I don't consider myself anywhere near a real Hammond player, I have fun trying and the lack of waterfall keys on the VK-7 stinks. I'm considering buying something else, like an XK-1. I could probably fix the VK-7 myself for not terribly much money, much less than any new 'board, but I bought it 9 years and 1 month ago today (July 3, 1998) so it is getting kind of old, and there's that waterfall keys thing. OTOH, the VK-7 does still sound pretty good to my ears (when it sounds, anyway). So, I was wondering what you reasonable people thought. I clearly have GAS, that much I know, but I'd like some other opinions and thoughts as I keep going back and forth.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends on the money issue. How much you gots? :)

Chances are really good that you have dirty keyboard contacts in that area around F below middle C. I would carefully disassemble it and clean the contacts, check it with a VOM to see if there are any cold solder joints, blow out all the fuzz with a can of compressed air. Unfortunately, I don't know where you can purchase a new keybed or what it would cost. This could be your 2nd option.

Otherwise, sell it on eBay for parts and get what you want. The lack of waterfall keys on the VK-7 stinks, or so I've heard. ;)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I could probably fix the VK-7 myself for not terribly much money...

You can probably fix it for no money, if it's assembled anything like my Roland synths.

When the wife is out shopping ;) , put it upside-down on the kitchen table and see if the bottom comes off easily with just a few screws. If it does, go for it. The rubber strips that comprise the key contacts should be clearly visible. Peel them away from the offending area and clean them and the associated PC contacts with alcohol on a swab.

There may be breaks which means you'll have to order some through RolandUS, but it's usually just dust.

Then sell it and get your XK-1.

Hmmm. I've had it apart, and it has rubber switch thingies under all the keys. I'm wondering if these are the same thing you describe, Bill. I'll have to take another look. Thanks!

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Well, whaddya know, some alcohol and swabs did the trick, it seems. Thanks Bill, I didn't realize those PC contacts were cleanable.

Now I can take my time to shop around and look for a replacement.

Oh, and the wife was here the entire time. She didn't mind at all. :grin:

Glad it worked. And you've got a more understanding spouse than any of mine were! :D

Guess that's working too. :)

Yeah, she's super cool. She's also the bass player in my band!

Yesterday we were talking about potential replacements for the VK after I had fixed it. I was telling her about the Electro, and after I told her it would replace the VK-7 AND the ME1, weighed less than 20 lbs so it could be the only keyboard if I just wanted to bring one to a gig, and was less than the XK-1 and VK-8, her jaw dropped she was like, "I think you should buy the Electro then!" :thu:

Archived