Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What should a band look like?

Ross Brown

Thoughts on coordinating the look of the band? Drummer wants to look more professional and not like a garage band. ie black T shirts with band logo on them for each of us, or something like that.

I am on the fence. What do other bands do? I want to avoid looking cheezy. Ideas?

Classic rock band, we are all 40-50 years old...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We just wear whatever we normally would.. No leather or crap, just our normal comfy shirts, hole filled jeans, etc...

I would characterize a band "uniform" as cheesy.. I don't wear one at work, I'm definitely not going to wear one at play.

Feel free to visit my band's site

Delusional Mind

Roadies should wear black tee's with the band logo, not the band! :-)

I don't personally think you all need to wear the same outfit, but you could colour co-ordinate. i.e. Black tops, grey trousers (or i suppose you would say "pants" :rolleyes: :grin: )

It depends on what you're doing as a band.

For some bands, a "uniform" would be goofy, but for others, it's part of the show. Cheeziness (or uncheeziness) is a subjective thing.

Yourlord, for your band, it makes sense to dress the same onstage as off, as you guys are a metal/prog type of band in the vein of Metallica-meets-Dream Theater (broad generalization, but you see where I'm going here?).

Metallica:

http://cache.idolator.com/assets/resources/2007/04/newmetallica.jpg

Those kinds of bands don't generally wear specialized stage gear... except Metallica did the "all black" thing right around The Black Album:

http://www.metallica.com/ivergence/Image/1988-90_3.jpg

Dream Theater pretty much just looks like a bunch of guys who could be waiting to watch a football game:

http://www.musicplayers.com/images/DreamTheater_feature.jpg

But that doesn't mean you CAN'T play proggy metal and look like something theatrical like Mudvayne did back in the day:

http://members.aol.com/unloco069/images/mudvayne-2.jpg

And nobody says you can't change your look around at will... like Mudvayne did later:

http://www.maximumink.com/admin/images/mudvayne-black.jpg

One man's trash is another man's treasure, and one man's cheezey is another man's inspired stage fashion idea.

I think the most important thing is for the whole band to be on the same page stylistically--if your thing is to be in raggedy jeans and t-shirts, it would be kind of weird-looking onstage if someone else in the band was wandering around in fetish wear and someone else was wearing a tux.

Unless that's your thing. Go for what you know.

Ross, it sounds to me like your band is a classic rock cover band--why not dress like a classic rock band? Jeans, t-shirts, etc. You don't have to wear exactly the same thing, but as long as everyone agrees on something semi-consistent, you'll look professional enough.

Matching "band" shirts with the band name on them is kind of... eh... obvious and a little much, IMO? Superman wears his super suit, but I don't think I've ever seen him in a Superman t-shirt with his own picture on it.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I like Alex's suggestion. I like black T shirts but my wife thinks they make me look middle-aged trying to act younger. The logo idea is a no-no I'd say as you'll look like roadies. Why not just colour co-ordinate - like everyone wears one piece of red clothing or something.

I've been in a few bands with clothing arrangements. I was in an African band that the leader had a big chest of African clothing he used to dish out to us before the gig. You cold be lucky or very unlucky! I played in a jazz/soul group in the Sade dominated 80s where half us us were into the new Marsalis thing and wearing suits and the other half the band were into the hippy/beatnik look- that was weird!

I've been in a Glam cover band complete with sparkly make-up, bright coloured scarves and tight loon pants and the there's the function/cover thing (but I learned to tie a proper bow-tie for that - unlike in this picture):

http://usera.imagecave.com/feilik/rocknrollers1.jpg

On second thoughts - don't look like that.

Personally, when I go to see a band, I want to see individuals - they will each dress their own way with some degree of style or otherwise and vaguely appropriate to the genre or venue.

You could always go for this approach:

http://www.jpgr.co.uk/pcs7088_d.jpg

Socks!!! That's it!!!

I appreciate the T shirts with logos are for the roadies. Great point.

It is classic rock.... should be simple. Jeans and some sort of shirt.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

I like black T shirts but my wife thinks they make me look middle-aged trying to act younger. The logo idea is a no-no I'd say as you'll look like roadies. Why not just colour co-ordinate - like everyone wears one piece of red clothing or something.

Hey! You stole my post! :-)

I like black T shirts but my wife thinks they make me look middle-aged trying to act younger. The logo idea is a no-no I'd say as you'll look like roadies. Why not just colour co-ordinate - like everyone wears one piece of red clothing or something.

Sorry Trucks, imitation is supposed to be the sincerest form of flattery - they say.

It is classic rock.... should be simple. Jeans and some sort of shirt.

I would use that as a guidline more than a rule. If everybody has to wear jeans and a t-shirt then jeans and a t-shirt becomes your uniform. Add some variety - if one guy wants to dress in black for instance. Mix it up a little bit.

Speaking of variety, I always thought these guys had a great look

http://blogpop.hautetfort.com/images/medium_cheap-trick-band.jpg

Push the button Frank.

It depends on what you're doing as a band.

http://cache.idolator.com/assets/resources/2007/04/newmetallica.jpg

Robert is one cool Mo Fo!!

Lars is a punk b*tch!

I've worn everything from genes/t-shirt/cowboy hat/etc.. to pretty much nothing at all on stage.

It's up to you.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

If you play in a Metal band (any sub-genre thereof) going all black is always the safest way to go. Camo is also a good answer. The main point is just to be comfortable. My last show I wore black camo shorts and a black t-shirt that read "All American Infidel".

What I find cheesy is when the band wears a uniform. A band wearing all black doesn't quailfy as a uniform unless the band is wearing the exact same thing; same shirt, same pants or shorts, and same shoes.

Hell, throw a curve ball and go all white...oh wait, In Flames and Darkane did that one already.

Sorry Trucks, imitation is supposed to be the sincerest form of flattery - they say.

:grin: ;)

There is some good advice in this thread.

Something else to consider: Are you looking to take band photos for a promo pack? If so, what is your intended audience? Bars/clubs? Corporations (for corporate parties)? Weddings? You'll want to have a slightly more professional look to you if you want to score corporate/wedding type gigs. Most people don't want a bunch of guys in ripped jeans and t-shirts playing their wedding reception.

The Late September Dogs band decided long ago that we could do the "best" worst band photo ever. We actually have a guy called Jeremy in the band for starters. We figure if we add a convertible next to a brick wall by some railroad tracks we'll be nearly there.

Each band I have been in has ALWAYS dressed to impress. You are entertainers, and you should look like it and not be just 4 guys who are onstage at the same time playing the same thing. Fans ALWAYS appreciate a finely dressed line up.

Other bands who are 'big' that wear "whatever" are 'big'. When your band is 'big', then you can go onstage in dirty laundary.

A band shouldn't have to have an image, i would think. Music is what matters really not the looks....unless your going to be a sell out.

Okay I got my hair cut! Its now this short *shows how short using hand*

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

I personally think a band should look at least a little different than the audience members.

How about wearing jeans and everyone wears a solid color dress shirt....everyone could wear a different color. The band will have a look but you don't all have to walk around in the same clothes.

The dress shirts will make you look one step more dressy than the jeans and t-shirt wearing crowd. And that's a good thing.

A band shouldn't have to have an image, i would think. Music is what matters really not the looks....unless your going to be a sell out.

For someone whose idol is Flea, this is a strange thing to say.

The RHCP would never have attracted the attention that they did without their striking visual image. For the whole movement that they came out of, the image was just as important as the music.

Maybe they all walked around looking that all the time, just as it is possible that the 60's English groups dressed in mod clothes all the time.

However, what they looked like attracted a whole set of listeners who then were drawn into the music.

People are not just listening to you, they are watching you. It doesn't hurt to be aware of that.

I could name dozens of influential groups who made a statement when walking out on stage...before playing a note.

Archived