Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

new video - me with Peavey Falcon

dreibel

after my first attempt at doing a YouTube video, I was itching to try again.

Today was my day off, and with smog and heat warnings, I thought better of going out and stayed indoors for most of the day. And what better way to while the hours by not only shooting new video, but to also dive into iMovie and try to do some editing?

This time I pulled out the Peavey Falcon, plugged into the Digitech RP-250, and doing this little tune I wrote called "Gutbucket". This time it's unaccompanied (although I earlier uploaded to my Soundclick site a full-blown arrangement done with my Tele and Guitar Rig 2 - shameless plug :) )

I'm already stoked to do the next one - now I have to figure out how to do a backing arrangement and feed everything through and balanced.....

love to hear what you think of this. I also wore my reading glasses so the President Bush effect is somewhat negated :) (although my Big-Mouthed Billy Bass guitar face is still there :o

)

"I used to be "with it", but then they changed what "it" was! Now what I'm with isn't "it", and what is "it" is weird and scary to me. IT'LL HAPPEN TO YOU!" - Grampa Simpson

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oops, I shoulda posted a link :blush:

"I used to be "with it", but then they changed what "it" was! Now what I'm with isn't "it", and what is "it" is weird and scary to me. IT'LL HAPPEN TO YOU!" - Grampa Simpson

I'm already stoked to do the next one - now I have to figure out how to do a backing arrangement and feed everything through and balanced.....

How are you shooting the video? Do you have something like Final Cut Express/Pro where you can do the video and add a sound track to it later? How about something like the PreSonus Inspire 1394 which allows for instrument/mic inputs. Two channels at the same time and you can add multiple units to get multiple tracks.

Nice tone!

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

I'm definitely new and green at video editing, so no, I don't have something as elaborate as Final Cut Pro here. I'm using iMovie HD from the iLife 2006 package I bought at a Macworld Expo. In fact, currently it's set up so I'm using a Rocketfish web cam as my video source. I'm routing my guitar into a Digitech RP-250, then plugging that into my mixer, which then is fed into the inputs of the Echo MIA card in my Mac. The Rocketfish driver allows me to use the soundcard as the audio feed, which is why the audio is relatively clear. So ideally I'd want to have a backing track so I can play simultaneously and at the same time video record.

I'm fooling around with doing a backing track in Cubase, mixing that down, then load that into my iPod and plug that into another mixer channel. Unless I can figure out how to do an ASIO rout.

One surprise - I discovered that I could do recording from the Rocketfish right into iMovie. Unfortunately, done that way, I get latency between the audio and video that's very noticable.

I must say, it's pretty intuitive in iMovie - you must understand I was blundering about in it at first. Then I discovered you could stop at a section of the video and split it into pieces, then apply video effects to each piece. (That's how I did the "old film effect" in the B section - there's some interesting effects and filters in that program).

So your Echo card would take the place of the PreSonus box.

iMovie would take the place of Final Cut Express/Pro. Feeding into your mixer from your iPod seems like it would work if you want to lay it all down at once.

I see that iMovie connects directly to iTunes so you could mix something down and put it in iTunes and directly import it into iMovie??? I'm just thinking here. I don't know this for a fact. Not having played with iMovie I don't know if you can add the backing track later or not. I know FCExpress would let you add the backing track later and line it up. You can also lay it down as a track in Garage Band and have it play while you lay down the lead. The speed of your computer will determine if there is any latency or not. Will your card take its input from GarageBand?

Again - no real experience here - just thinking out loud. This seems very do-able.

You are getting very clear audio.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Archived