Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bridge collapse

Fumblyfingers

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you, so do I.

35W is the main highway into town, I`ve been over that bridge many times.

Well my mom says that about 50 cars went into the river.

we`ve still got a head count in progress but so far everyone`s okay.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Man Fumbly, I thought this was going to be about your Les Paul, I hadn't watched the news. I know that some bridges are susceptible to this kind of thing during an earthquake, but you just don't expect them to fail like that during normal circumstances. Skip, I hope everyone is ok. Why does this stuff always seem to happen during rush hour?

Just heard this on the news. From the title I thought this was about the sagging Les Paul bridge, so skipped it.

Sorry to hear about this guys. I hope you and yours are all OK.

Any official reports on the estimated casualties, yet?

How on earth do things like this still happen?

There is no excuse for this kind of stuff....

Anyhow, more importantly, hopefully all of our forum related folks from there are alright.

I was in the Minn. St. Paul area recently, and drove over that bridge.....makes one think, doesn't it?

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

I watched it last night and was shocked and horrified by the carnage.

We had something similar happen in Quebec not long ago when an overpass collapsed. And here in Toronto, despite assurances on the news that "it can't happen here", there's been chunks of cement coming off some of the bridges last spring after the thaw.

"I used to be "with it", but then they changed what "it" was! Now what I'm with isn't "it", and what is "it" is weird and scary to me. IT'LL HAPPEN TO YOU!" - Grampa Simpson

I live in Minneapolis, and drive that bridge Mon-Thurs at around 5:45-6:00 PM. Missed that event by a few minutes that day.

My big immediate concern when I got to work was my wife, who's in real estate, and drives everywhere at all hours. I never know her schedule, and was a bit paniced when I couldn't get through to her cell phone. Thankfully, she was at home that night!

Real tragedy for the people and families caught by that.

Dave

I live in Minneapolis, and drive that bridge Mon-Thurs at around 5:45-6:00 PM. Missed that event by a few minutes that day.

Dave

:eek:

Glad you're okay.

There is no excuse for this kind of stuff....

Having seen this Big Dig deal here in Boston (complete with collapsing ceilings) it's not totally surprising, but still shocking.

There are many, many bridges in the New York area that are at the end of their life expectency. The Tapanzee has a 50 year life and they're about at it now! Government is still floundering over the rebuild! One can only hope that they're on an inspection schedule.

Holy crap Dave.....that's cutting it close. I am glad you and the missus are okay. How are things with traffic and just things in general in the area right now, the mood etc. Are people pissed off that there were supposed warnings about that bridges safety?

This is why you can't trust always the government.

Really sad situation overall, but did you guys hear about the schoolbus? All the kids made it out alright. Thank God for that.

www.myspace.com/donahelena

Support bored teenage ghost hunters. www.myspace.com/rock_paranormal

Fumbly,

It seems people are just kind of in shock right now. The local news media, of course, has yacked on and on aobut nothing esle - I can't watch all the micranalysis, Monday morning armchair quarterback stuff, where all the local politicians posture and they talk to everyone including the firehouse dalmation.

Suprisingly, they've opened up a couple of other routes heading north out of the city by shutiing down the stoplights and cross traffic, and this is actaully working better than I would've expected.

I think people are hunkered down and understand this isn't going to be fixed anytime real soon. A LOT of people are now talking about how neglected the country's infrastructure is, and the fact that this bridge had citations a couple of times over the last 10 years that no one did anything about. Is this a wake-up call? To early to tell, but if human history is any guide - no.

Dave

Just heard this on the news. From the title I thought this was about the sagging Les Paul bridge, so skipped it.

Sorry to hear about this guys. I hope you and yours are all OK.

Any official reports on the estimated casualties, yet?

How on earth do things like this still happen?

That was my first thought too, Lee.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Archived