Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Y/T: Little wing - Acoustic tapping

Trucks

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet. My wife wants it for her iPod. I think she was surprised to learn it was Hendrix. She's not exactly Hendrix material.

Do they tune differently for tapping? Possibly keeping all strings 5 tones (?) above the other? Or tuned to G like for slide (at least that is what I've heard you tune to for slide).

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

I am surprised to see Carlos on YouTube. He is a very accomplished guitar player and has played on several people albums and I believe he just release another of his own.

Carlos got together with Stanley Jordan and Jordan was so impressed, he spent a considerable time as Carlos's teacher.

Taping takes several techniques to sound good. You have to be able to dampen stings you are not playing and your tapping has to be strong.

Carlos normally uses an electric guitar which is much easier to tap with. Compression and sustain helps a lot when playing his style.

Tapping like this is starting to become more popular.. If you can't find his Album, pick up one from Chris Proctor. HE plays almost exclusively acoustic.

Peace

That would explain why he sounds SOO much like Stanley. That was the first thing that pooped in my head (I know I said Poop)

I remember getting Jordan's first CD Magic Touch in 1985. I loved it, very musical. Not just a technical wank fest.

I am amazed he can get that kind of articulation/sustain from his tapping hand. Pretty impressive.

I have no interest in approaching this style of playing, but I am always amazed by guys who do it.

Fantastic. I believe there is reverb cathedral effect or something like that getting this kind of sound. Really top notch!

"Play something unpredictable!"

"I've been trying to do that my whole life"

(Hedges' 1993 concert)

www.myspace.com/facundoesquelles

I love that Monte - I believe someone here said before that he plays covers better than his own music - or they are more enjoyable than his own music.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

The pickup, for tapping purposes, isn't so important, since the signal will have to be squished big time to even out the levels between the taps and the strums. As has been said, the sound is so similar to Stanley Jordan on Magic Touch, and that is done on an electrc guitar.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Sweet. My wife wants it for her iPod. I think she was surprised to learn it was Hendrix. She's not exactly Hendrix material.

Do they tune differently for tapping? Possibly keeping all strings 5 tones (?) above the other? Or tuned to G like for slide (at least that is what I've heard you tune to for slide).

Stanley Jordan originally retuned to straight 4ths. You said 5 tones.. actually single fret movement is a half-tone. Two fret movement is a whole tone. But yes, a 4th (the distance between the first & fourth notes in the major scale) is 5 half-tones, which I believe you meant.

Stanley did it to make more sense of fingering patterns since his "fretting" hand doesn't play 6 string chords alone. The major 3rd between the G & B strings in standard tuning makes full width chords easier to fret.

I haven't kept up with Stanley's playing much since his debut (I also bought Magic Touch and adore much of it. Like caprae mentioned about Monte, on Magic Touch it was all about the cover tunes. Stanley's own tunes were busier technically but far less interesting than the covers of Eleanor Rigby or his masterpiece, IMO, a cover of Thad Jones' A Child Is Born.

As for the instrument I don't see any obvious changes besides the absurdly low action, totally unplayable as a normal guitar but perfect for this style. Stanley originally made his own mutes to keep the strings from ringing open, then Ibanez custom made guitars with a machined mute at the nut for him. I don't know if either of them use mutes now.

Carlos is fantastic.. cleaner technique than Stanley's on Magic Touch.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

For what it is worth, Martin's Alt-X has a whammy and pickup, is made from black graphite, and has a rough brushed aluminum face.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

lol According to his website, people donate him guitars. I guess it could be one of those?

Pretty funny, but I sure as hell wouldn't be asking him to put up a shelf in my house ;) :-)

I was kind of struck by the fact a guy who would go to all that trouble wouldn't just buy a reciprocating saw. ;)

Pretty cool!

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

lol According to his website, people donate him guitars. I guess it could be one of those?

Pretty funny, but I sure as hell wouldn't be asking him to put up a shelf in my house ;) :-)

I was kind of struck by the fact a guy who would go to all that trouble wouldn't just buy a reciprocating saw. ;)

Pretty cool!

my thoughts exactly...

Archived