Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bridges

TimR

I often see people recommending different bridges here.

What are the advantages of the different types of bridges, do they sound different, feel different or just look different?

I realise that the bridge affects the string spacing, but manufacturers sell the same design with different spacing.

What bridge do you have on your bass, is it the original bridge, would you change it, why? Have you changed it? Why? Does it sound better?

Enough of the questions, lets have some answers.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The theory as I've heard it explained is that a more massive/heavier bridge will translate into greater sustain. I know that I achieved that on my Jazz bass when I took off the stock bridge and put on a Bad Ass II bridge.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I changed bridges on one of my basses only because the original would not adjust to the string spacing I wanted. There might have been a slight tone improvement. Mostly, they just look "BadAss"

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

I put Badass IIs on my Jazz and my Precision. Perhaps it's my imagination, but I feel sure that it increased the sustain.

Back when Roger Sadowsky was hot-rodding Fender basses he would routinely replace the original bridge with a higher mass one. Look at the original Marcus Miller bass for example.

Fender has also begun putting Badass IIs on their Highway One line and referring to them as an upgrade.

They also have the advantage of looking better. ;)

Push the button Frank.

I put a Hipshot Type A bridge on my Tobias. The original bridge had some stripped screws and was nearly impossible to adjust. I gained adjustable string spacing, which I really like. I have the strings adjusted as wide as they can go but with the space between each string constant rather than the same center-to-center distance constant. I like how this feels. The Hipshot Type A's are reasonably priced, and available in several different "centered" string spacings that have some adjustment each direction.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I put a Hipshot Type B bridge on my Tobias. The original bridge had started to bend away from the body. My Toby is a Korean made model, obviously corners were cut on the hardware to keep costs down. I chose the Type B to take advantage of "quick release string loading" and through-body stringing options. It actually weighs less than the stock bridge because I got the aluminum version (saddles are brass). My first impression was that it did improve the voice of the E string.

I learned a couple things: a) Buy your Hipshot bridge through Carvin or another reasonably priced dealer. My friend who owns a music store didn't save me a penny. b) I will never change a bridge solely to string through the body, I am not convinced that there is noticeable difference between through-body and top-loading strings.

Special thanks to Dave Sisk for my opening sentence. ;)

- Matt W.

Archived