Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ways for young players to find other players their age

Dr. Ellwood

I'm not sure really how to do this but from time to time we have young players come on the Forum and ask about how to start up their first band. I wonder if there would be any kind of loosley organized way to help them direct their conversations toward each other? I know we have Zan's boys who play guitar, Megiliel, King Kamehameha and there are some others too (can't think of their names right now) Maybe a thread specifically for them to meet and kick around ideas or share their frustrations and we older experienced players could help them collectively? Anyway anybody have any ideas on how we could help?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a pretty good idea... though of course, given the problems of geography, we can only be very general about it.

Even when I went to schools that didn't have a music programme, there were always people around to have a jam with. It's the law of averages.

The main thing is to be very public about the fact that you play, and want to play with others.

After that, you usually discover that other people at school play an instrument. At the early stages, even meeting people that WANT to be musicians, and in a band, can be useful. As long as they're willing to commit some time to learning how to play an instrument of their choice, of course.

I think that, for a lot of young folks, stepping up and saying you`re looking for people to start a band can be just as difficult as saying you`re looking for a date. Maybe if they`re putting an ad up they could run a copy of it by here and get some editing advice? or maybe if they connect with the right group-or the wrong one-what to do next. It would be good to help them make the call, rather than making it for them.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

With the WWW, it's probably a lot easier for kids to get together and jam than it was when I was young.

I posted ads on the bulletin boards of music stores... along with hundreds of other "guitarist seeking band" ads.

With the WWW, it's probably a lot easier for kids to get together and jam than it was when I was young.

I guess so.

Mind you, when I was looking for a band, last year, I found that I got a lot more response from people on music store bulletin boards and that the responses were more realistic. The people that contacted me tended to be actual bands with actual material, etc.

I think the net encourages people to talk a lot and never get out of their houses. With many notable exceptions, of course! But a lot of those "musician's network" sites seem to be full of stuff that's two or three years old, IME.

I think the net encourages people to talk a lot and never get out of their houses. With many notable exceptions, of course!

Yeah... I see that too but if they have no inclination of getting out the house, the net, bulletin boards... whatever... NOTHING will help them.

I mentioned the WWW as a tool for people who ARE motivated in getting out and playing with other musicians.

But a lot of those "musician's network" sites seem to be full of stuff that's two or three years old, IME.

I found my band by putting an ad up on the local Craig's List site.

I guess so.

Mind you, when I was looking for a band, last year, I found that I got a lot more response from people on music store bulletin boards and that the responses were more realistic. The people that contacted me tended to be actual bands with actual material, etc.

I think the net encourages people to talk a lot and never get out of their houses. With many notable exceptions, of course! But a lot of those "musician's network" sites seem to be full of stuff that's two or three years old, IME.

It must be a bit mroe difficult to find a band with similar interests etc in li'l ol' NZ though... I would imagine it is much easier in places like TX, NJ, NY etc etc etc

I am thinking about looking for a local Jam Band (with want of a better term) Not strictly jamming, but like an open forum with a set structure... Does that make sense?

But what I really want is to play Jazz.. But I am no where near good enough a jazz player yet, I would struggle to hold my own in a Jazz context, more so than something Rootsy/Folky/Bluesy.

Ellwood,

That's a tough one. I was lucky. My 1st band were all school mates and we stayed together for 8 years and a few gigs after we went separate ways.

I have (we) had a few younger guys play with us on occasion but I can't think of a way to help one young musician hook up with players his age.

Good music stores have bulletin boards. If they have instructors, that's even better. A small school makes it tough but a large school would, by odd, have a few kids interested in getting a group together. Word of mouth. Get some friends interested in learning to play. our bass player was a snare drummer in the school band. He turned out to be a great bass player.

Peace

You know, for all the wonder of the Web, it has never done anything as fas as finding me people to jam with, and you'd think being in my early 20s, now is as easy a time as any to start a band.

Trouble is not finding a band, it is finding a band you like with reliable people. My best friend and I started a band in high school, where I started playing bass. Then, I decided I wanted to play guitar. Well, through various acquaintances, we had no problem finding people who played, it was finding those who played well and were reliable. We went through so many drummers and singers it was ridiculous. Not to mention our bassists was a bit of a flake too, if not, he was "always busy."

My best advice is get friends that you know are good, reliable people, and convince them to take up an instrument if they haven't already. There's no point in trusting those you've never met if you have to go to extremes just to find them. And with friends, at least you know what to expect: how they treat you as a friend is how they'll treat the band.

Shut up and play.

It must be a bit mroe difficult to find a band with similar interests etc in li'l ol' NZ though... I would imagine it is much easier in places like TX, NJ, NY etc etc etc

Actually, New Zealand has a fantastic music scene. Strange but true.

And, because we're basically a backwater on the edge of the world, bands tend to be pretty idiosyncratic. Even if we DO a bunch of Aerosmith covers, it doesn't mean we're going to get anywhere, so we may as well be ourselves. :) There's a lot of musical variety.

I really like the music scene here.

Anyway... back to the young players:

When I was a teenager I went to three different high schools. In one we had a proper band programme doing pop songs. Because we were mainly brass players, lots of guys got into jazz.

In the second one, we had a crap band programme (brass band for the cadet corps) but we used to bring our guitars to school and jam during lunchbreaks and on the way home. And we'd have electric jams on weekends and school holidays.

In the last one, I played the harmonica for the other guys and they hooked me up with a guy that had already left school but who used to bring his guitar around at lunchtime so we could jam.

So the main thing is to get out there and tell people you're a musician. Hell... show 'em, don't just tell them! :)

I tell and show (show and tell???), but no one wants to be in a band! And if they do, it's just for the status. Every time I've tried to start a band with my friends, it just fizzles out because they just want to look cool and I actually want to play. Maybe I'm a little too determined... But still, if you agree to join a band, you need to freakin' be involved!!!

Hey, Ellwood, this is a great idea, especially the frustration venting. :)

www.myspace.com/donahelena

Support bored teenage ghost hunters. www.myspace.com/rock_paranormal

I tell and show (show and tell???), but no one wants to be in a band!

Oh, I know. It doesn't always work, that's for sure.

But at the same time, you have to get yourself out there so IF there's anybody interested, they'll hear or know about you.

It's like a thing I read on becoming a scriptwriter. The first thing you do is to tell everyone you know or meet that you're a scriptwriter, never mind whether you're working at McDonald's. Just in case that by some weird networking cosmic accident, somebody knows somebody who... you know.

So in our example, you tell everyone you meet that you're looking to join or form a band, even the "wrinklies". You never know when one of those wrinklies is going to say "my nephew's about your age and HE wants to join a band too!" :) And it mightn't be a perfect fit, but hey, at least you've met other musicians.

Not saying you don't do that, Meggles, because by all accounts you do. But it's still a good rule of thumb.

Well, I do need to work on the bashfulness issue. I know you're probably thinking "Bashful? Shoot!", but in person, at least for a little while, I'm really horrendously shy. Thanks for the advice.

www.myspace.com/donahelena

Support bored teenage ghost hunters. www.myspace.com/rock_paranormal

It's sort of like the dating scene - EVERYBODY is looking for somebody that they can connect with in a serious way!

But finding is not as easy as looking. Luckily, I don't have to have sex with the guys I jam with (cute but not my type.....)

finding serious bandmates is like finding a wife... I found hundreds of guys wanting to jam but very few who wanted to actually PRACTICE.
"well fellas... there's 1 other thing yer gonna need to make it in Rock & Roll besides all them guitars and amps and drums and things. They call it A SONG..."

Archived