Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass Player Homework

Greg Olwell

I finally got round to doing my homework. I tried unsuccessfully on a noisy train, in a hotel room with my family and then, following a Victor Wooten approved tack, finally cracked it while sitting alone in a wood near my house while my son ran elsewhere collecting small animals with nature wardens.

Thanks Jonathan, it was a useful workout. It did focus my reading and writing chops.

Anybody know a freeware program for putting standard notation examples on the web, I'm still using pencil and paper. I did use one of the major programmes but it was pretty memory hungry on the computer.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phil...I use Myriad's Melody Assistant, which is pretty good. It's shareware, I think it nags until you register it and pay $30, but everything still works even when it nags.

That'll print, but not to PDF's (it may print to a graphics format, I can't recall for sure). Download PDF995 (another freebie that nags when you print), and you can then print to a PDF file to post.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Hi Everyone,

Here is the place to post your reactions, comments, etc. to the Bass Player Homework Assignments.

Best Wishes,

Greg Olwell

Managing Editor

Bass Player magazine

1111 Bayhill Dr., Suite 125

San Bruno, CA 94066

650-238-0279

650-238-0261 Fax

golwell@musicplayer.com

Where's the homework? Guess that will be on August issue. Right?

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

OK, I did a screenshot and resized it.

http://usera.imagecave.com/feilik/aaaaaaaa.JPG

Any errors in there, please point them out, it was the first time I've entered notation into a program so there might be glitches.

i hate fanale notepad. It confuses the crap out of me....and i cant find the mute note thing (you can do that in notation right???[hope i didnt make myself sound stupid {wow! look at all these brackets}])

Okay I got my hair cut! Its now this short *shows how short using hand*

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

I don't read it. I was looking for it in the petrol station (gas station to you Yank's) and it wasn't there... Do you have to order it?

Okay I got my hair cut! Its now this short *shows how short using hand*

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

Just subscribe Karl, get your a relative to do it for a birthday present of give your parents the cash so they'll subscribe on their credit card, it's very cheap to subscribe and it's the best magazine out there. If you go to WH Smiths you'll probably find it but it's a lot dearer than subscribing. You wouldn't regret it. PM me if you need more details.

Now is anyone going to post about the homework? :(

I will as soon as I buy it, you that they never arrive to WH Smiths before the 8th, and can only find in bluewater or victoria station.

I know I know I need to subscribe

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

I just had a look to this months issue and i'll try to post my homework ASAP

I was away when the homework was set :(

Jeremy why have you set your key signature in G but shown every incidence of F natural? Was that a part of the question?

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

I was away when the homework was set :(

Jeremy why have you set your key signature in G but shown every incidence of F natural? Was that a part of the question?

I decided that my bass line would be in the key of G, but it is based on a G7 chord. That's why I put in the F naturals. In a typical rock, funk or jazz tune in the key of G, a G7 chord for the first chord wouldn't be very unusual but the music would still be written with a key of G key signature.

I don't think it's too late to turn in your homework, but you may have a few points taken off for getting in after the due date.

Actually, I don't think Greg specified a due date, but I'm assuming the due date is whenever the deadline is for getting all copy into the September issue.

We may have all missed the deadline. What's up, Greg?

Archived