Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dream Theater without a bassist on 7-28!

moot

Ladies please!

Bongo schmongo - Regardless of what the man plays he is an incredible talent. He could fart into a hollow log and it would be fantastic!

Basshappi, I will forgive your insolence.

I know, I am a hollow log.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PLease do not misunderstand me, John is an very talented player. But he is always lost in the mix to the point that I feel his talent is wasted in that band.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Well...I just saw DT last night in Chicago and, sadly enough, I have to concur: Myung was terribly lost in the mix (most of the show)...to the point where the random kid sitting next to me even asked "Can you hear the bass player???" Even in parts where it was just bass and drums or bass and keys...he was still relatively non-existant in the mix. However...later in the show, it did seem like they nudged his volume up just a bit, but still not what it should have been. Bummer...because he was clearly playing his ass off...too bad no one could hear it.

My doctor says I'm A.D.D. - I just like to think of it as "multi-tasking"...

Ibanez SR-505

Ibanez SRX-595 (sold...)

Peavey Tour 700

Hartke 8x10

Boss GT-8 multi-effects board

PLease do not misunderstand me, John is an very talented player. But he is always lost in the mix to the point that I feel his talent is wasted in that band.

Yes I agree! He could do far much better. I'm not a DT fan, but I do know he is one amazing bassist.

Okay I got my hair cut! Its now this short *shows how short using hand*

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

If all of those are his bongos he can give one to me! (yeah sorry bout the....double post I know I should of quick quoted them all.)

Ok never mind....I read what was there....

Okay I got my hair cut! Its now this short *shows how short using hand*

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

Yeah...he played two different Bongos last night...a five and a six string. (surprise???)

I actually played a four string Bongo yesterday at Sam Ash and it was an impressive bass...not sure I'd spend that much $$$ on one, but it was nice...

My doctor says I'm A.D.D. - I just like to think of it as "multi-tasking"...

Ibanez SR-505

Ibanez SRX-595 (sold...)

Peavey Tour 700

Hartke 8x10

Boss GT-8 multi-effects board

• 2 weeks later...

I am attending tonight's show (8/24) @ PNC in Holmdel, NJ and also tomorrow's show at Jones Beach Nikon Theater. I scored 11th row tickets in the orchestra section (YES!) for the PNC show, and third-tier tickets for the show on Long Island (ugh). I will have good chance to measure how the low is carried, 25 feet away, and 25 miles away :)

This is my first DT show, I am pumped!

-Anthony

Hm. I saw them on the 21st in Boston and I could hear the bass, albeit not as loud as I would have preferred, but it was definitely there. And during the parts where it was quiet, or where there was just bass and minimal other instrumentation, it rang through loud and clear. Maybe that's a function of the venue (the Bank of America Pavillion; formerly Harbor Lights)...I've never seen a show there with bad sound.

And the Bongo bass looks....futuristic...?

Maybe that's a function of the venue (the Bank of America Pavillion; formerly Harbor Lights)...I've never seen a show there with bad sound.

I've seen jazz, orchestra, and rock shows (including DT a few times) at this venue. Never a bad show, some mixing preferences might apply but great overall. I'd encourage anyone in the Boston area visiting or living to catch a show there. Mucho mucho nice!

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

Well, here is the Myung update for those that are interested:

He used three Bongos, Silver Single Humbucker, Silver w/ humbucker and single coil, and a black bongo (looked pretty cool) with a one humbucker.

As far as the bass sound went, the PNC show in NJ was adequate, they did a majority of the new material with a few classics mixed in such as Endless Sacrifice, Blind Faith, and Surrounded (with Pink Floyd's 'Mother' guitar solo). I was sitting in the 11th row, dead center, and the sound was level, but could of used more bass. For sitting that close, I could turn to the guy next me and have a conversation. The performance was pretty tight as usual.

The show at Jones Beach, NY was a different ball-game altogether. They opened up with 'Constant Motion' and the place was rockin' it was so loud; but the bass was lacking up until the mini Rush-esque bass break in the middle of the song, where Myung's volume was greatly increased and stayed that level the entire night.

Myung, as it might not be such a suprise, does not look up at the crowd at all. His eyes are focused on the fretboard, or sometimes looking at Petrucci during a unison section. The show yet again was filled with a lot of Systematic Chaos, and I was a little upset becuase they usually vary their setlist and this one was almost identical with 3 different songs. Even the encore was the same (albeit a good one). It was a medley of several songs including, In the name of God, Learning to Live, and closing up with Razor's edge from Octavarium.

Not to be picky, but Myung made an error that you usually do not see from him. It was not a physical mistake, such as finger slippage, but it was a mental error, he lead in at the wrong time with the wrong note, and held it until that part came up a few secondas later. So I guess he is human after all.

That is my report....Also, they will be around next spring for another US tour as per Portnoys exclaimations after the show.

That is all,

Dream Theater fanatic...I mean, Anthony

The show yet again was filled with a lot of Systematic Chaos, and I was a little upset becuase they usually vary their setlist and this one was almost identical with 3 different songs. Even the encore was the same (albeit a good one). It was a medley of several songs including, In the name of God, Learning to Live, and closing up with Razor's edge from Octavarium.

You're a medley ;) Thanks for the review Anthony. Whilst I understand your being upset, you gotta keep in mind that Dream Theater have been doing the "varying the setlist every night" for about 20 years or so, whereas most other bands will stick to one setlist for an entire tour, every tour, every year.

That said, I think that I once read Mike Portnoy saying that he tries to change the setlist in venues where they've played before. For instance: if I went to Forest National last year and they played Metropolis Pt.1, then if I go again this year, chances are slim that they'll play that song again. But I may have misunderstood him (no pun intended).

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Archived