Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acoustic Guitar Pickup. Soundhole or Under Saddle???

gar_lei

Hello Everyone!

I have a Yamaha LS-400 Acoustic Guitar.

I want to install a pickup on it for live and recording use.

Can anyone tell me if I should go for Soundhole pickups or Under Saddle pickup???

I'm looking at Fishman Rare earth single coil pickup and the Acoustic Matrix Natural 1.

I had a Dimarzio Gold Mag humbucker soundhole pickup before. I did not liked the sound at all.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I need a feedback buster to play with a band, so I don't know what I would do with a soundhole pickup.

Sure, perhaps I could stick a towel in the soundbox, but even so, I prefer the under saddle ones. On the other hand, I gather a soundhole pup is easier to change.

I've had both and prefer under saddle hands down. I might be biased by the fact that my current under saddle guitar came with it installed already, but it sounds great and I never have feedback problems. I still prefer a mic for recording in any case but for live work it can't be beat.

Jim

The easiest way I can think of, to be sure you get the right size, is to bring your guitar with you when you go. Short of that, there will be a few guys through here, that know quite a bit about acoustic pickups and will be able to give you a better answer then I could.

There's not a whole lot going on here during the weekend, but responses to this thread should pick up, as the work week begins.

In the mean time, welcome to the forum!

Get a Fishman I-Beam Active. It is neither in the sound hole or directly under the saddle. It sticks to the bridge plate on the underside of the top, and sounds the most natural of any acoustic pickup I ever heard.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I prefer to have my pickups installed when I purchase the guitar. I have two Wechters from 1999 and I like the Fishman's that are in there already. Wechter is now doing a three-way (saddle, mic, and magnetic). But I would never install one of these after the fact. Kills the whole look.

Shadow makes some very interesting pickup/pre-amp combos (with built-in digital effects).

Hope you come to a happy decision.

They Call Me The Funk Whisperer

Archived