Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Quitting smoking blues....

Okay, it's 2:17 a.m., I have insomnia, I haven't had a cigarette in 4 and half weeks. I can't go fool around in the studio because it is in the middle of the back-up I started two hours ago when I went to bed. I never knew how much I relied on cigarettes to keep me company in these really lonely early morning insomnia excursions. Oh well....frankly....as much as quitting sucks...I gotta say...I am glad to be on the road ...after 20 years at 2+ packs per day, it is damn nice not to wake up coughing every morning. Cheers and solidarity with anyone else out there trying to break this jones. Mark

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i wish i could truly express my support to you and state how vitally important it is to stay NOT SMOKING. There are too many reasons as i am sure you know, but remember these few for now.... You will feel like everything is easier, everything. You will feel like a better person because you finally took control of yourself and that will give you miles of confidence and freedom to see things clearly and strive further with other goals. You will feel like you are "getting good mileage from each day after a while because you are saving money and time and energy and placeing those things in costructive places. Your general outlook on the world will be much brighter and you will be able to scoff at those who are still slaves to such a sickening fucking habit. Oh and you might live a few more years too. What ever happens to you, Don't smoke ever again!. You have beat it. You've closed the door, Now all you have to do is learn how to ignore the knocking. Be strong Bro.

Leaving tobacco. It was one of the hardest things I ever did, but certainly the best. A panel of drug experts, when asked to rate addictive drugs by how easy it was to get hooked and how hard to kick rated nicotine #1 above heroin, crack, meth and several others. When the urge got really bad, I took the water cure and took a shower - it realigns your senses and you can't smoke under the showerhead.

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

Did you hear about the gypsy's horse? Just when it got used to not eating, it died... Hang in there bro'. You can make it without nicotine! And there's an incentive: all the money saved by not feeding the evil tobacco empires you can spend on some other expensive habit ;) The sum of all habits is always constant. /Mats [ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: mats.olsson@rockfile.se ]

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

[quote]Originally posted by mats.olsson@rockfile.se: [b] And there's an incentive: all the money saved by not feeding the evil tobacco empires you can spend on some other expensive habit ;) [/b][/quote] I think my wife has already figured that out and added it to her weekly budget :( Cheers, Mark

[quote]Originally posted by henrysb3: [b]A panel of drug experts, when asked to rate addictive drugs by how easy it was to get hooked and how hard to kick rated nicotine #1 above heroin, crack, meth and several others.[/b][/quote] Lemme confirm it for you...as I'm in "Round 3 at around Week 10"...this one's a motherfucker (a few slips here and there, but overall, so far so good). With Smack it was a few days of abject hell, another few days of feeling like I got into a barfight...with Mike Tyson...then the struggle of figuring out how to stay the fuck away from the environment (hello Boston!!). With Gak, it was more like a couple of days of unbelievable anxiety, followed by a week of sleep, then figuring out how to stay out of the environment (good bye club gigs). I never did Meth on more than a recreational basis [as opposed to Coke and Dope which I did on a 'vocational' basis]...so I wouldn't know about kicking that one. With cigarettes, it's impossible to stay out of the environment unless you never leave the house...so you have to teach yourself to dig on it. I've noticed people smoking in their cars while I'm riding the bike (and BTW, if you do smoke, and there is a motorcycle behind you...would you please use the fuckin' ashtry...that "butt" you flick out of the window seems to have about a 70% chance of flying right up at me, usually at my face...not fun). For what it's worth, the reason I decided to quit wasn't because I didn't enjoy it. It wasn't so I'd live to see 'Grandchildren', it wasn't to not give money to the 'evil tobacco companies'...my motivation to quit came from my desire to deny the Commonwealth of Massachusetts all the fucking tax money they lumped onto the top. Fuck them, hypocritical fucks. "Let's be really against something that's "bad" (spelled: politicallly incorrect)...then turn it into a 'profit center' because it's fashionable to be anti-smoking'. Yeah...right. And exactly what do they do with that tax money? "Oh, we're going to add it to the coffers of the public health system"...which they haven't done...at least not since they promised to do it in '95...but these things take time I suppose. If it's any help...I've found the best way to kick cigs is to get an Everlast '75 lb. Heavy Bag' [and a really good set of gloves, ones with excellent wrist support!!]. Now everytime I [b]really[/b] need a smoke, I go whack the shit out of the bag. Aside from almost resembling excercize (a concept I try my damndest to ignore), it's just great overall stress reduction. Seeing as my heavy bag is stored at the office...having a few hundred Valiums at your disposal helps for the times when I'm not near the bag...the bitch is that you can't have more than a couple beers, a couple of 'V's, and still drive home (without fear of hitting something, or worse, Police intervention). After about 6-8 weeks, I felt like I had conquored the major jones...have actually done sessions 'smoke free' (that's what got me the first two times I tried to quit...I'd sit in the chair...by the third day of the gig I be sending the runner for a deck of Camels). I may even make it this time...or not. I do know that shit like 'the patch' or 'the gum' are just trading one addiction for another...sorta like 'Methadone' for 'Heroin'...'Methadone' (from what I've seen from people who've tried to kick with it) is worse than Smack...I prefer the 'cold turkey kick'...but that may just be me. [I guess a YMMV is appropriate here] Now I'm happy to say...I'm a blissful 'second hand smoker'!! So if you ever see me in a bar, light one up and stand next to me, you'll be my hero for the next several minutes. Best of luck on your attempt to kick. If you fail...just try again. I know people that have been off a couple years, then got back on, then off again. That underlying jones in the pit of your stomach allegedly never goes away. It's all about 'behavior modification' at this point [like you sitting up wanting a smoke while your shit backs up]...a deck of cards can do wonders for the 'killing some time' aspect of your behavior modification. When I'm at home, not near the bag and with responsibilities that prevent eating a fistful of 'V's...I've found playing a game with the kids to work pretty well. They're both frighteningly good at Mancala (especially the Egyptian version), takes my mind off everything else (and they still beat my ass more than half the time). Hope you make it.

Fletcher

Mercenary Audio

Roscoe Ambel once said:

Pro-Tools is to audio what fluorescent is to light

[quote]Originally posted by Fletcher@mercenary.com: [b] Best of luck on your attempt to kick. If you fail...just try again. I know people that have been off a couple years, then got back on, then off again. That underlying jones in the pit of your stomach allegedly never goes away. It's all about 'behavior modification' at this point [like you sitting up wanting a smoke while your shit backs up]...a deck of cards can do wonders for the 'killing some time' aspect of your behavior modification. When I'm at home, not near the bag and with responsibilities that prevent eating a fistful of 'V's...I've found playing a game with the kids to work pretty well. They're both frighteningly good at Mancala (especially the Egyptian version), takes my mind off everything else (and they still beat my ass more than half the time). Hope you make it.[/b][/quote] Thanks, Fletcher and all others for the support. I am feeling like this time I am going to make it...I never made it this far before...not ever. I hear you about the V's...for me it is all the industrial strength percocet they sent me home from the hospital with. I am down to basically not needing anything until about 9 p.m. in the evening, then I have to have something to calm down or I am not getting any sleep. I can't do the heavy bag yet - too soon since they sliced my guts up..but I hear you about whacking something and feeling better...hopefully I will be able to do that in a few weeks. Unbelievably, the studio so far has not been a problem. I am working on two projects now, a demo for a local artist which I just started, and a CD of my church's music ministry which. I have actually had less urge while working then while sitting around reading or wathing DVD's. Thanks again for everyone's support - knowing that is out there helps a tremendous amount. Cheers, Mark

Okay...here's from a former 2 1/2 pack-a-day guy who's been off'n 'em for 16 years... Get one of those cheap retractable ball point pens. Take it apart. Hold the long end (where the point comes out) between your fingers. Puff on it as needed. If anyone says you look stupid, pick up the nearest shovel and whack 'em over the head. Tell them they look stupid with a black and blue golfball on their forehead. Buy some Hall's cough drops. These helped me, even though I was not a menthol smoker. Unlike gum, they don't taste "yummy", kinda like a cigarette doesn't taste "yummy", and they last almost as long as a cigarette. Good luck.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

here's to ya :) i quit in march (cold turkey) i had gradually whittled down a 2pak a day habit to about 1/2 pack, then one day i just stopped. haven't had so much as a puff since. the green stuff really helps, if you know what i'm saying :D if you ever get down, just remember IT'S WORTH IT to stick with it. I have not regretted quitting once. good luck! matt

be cool, i know how you feel, i realized today that i've been off the nicotine for 1 month and 1 day. it's hard isn't it? especially if you have a roomate like mine who's a smoker galore! actually, he's alright, he keeps it in his room and not in the common areas. i liked the message that said to take a shower, and the halls do work, i can testify. you know what though, i've quit a zillion times and i'm sick of quitting! so i'm really hoping that this is my last time. stay real! i'm with ya! faith-shade

Good luck with kicking the habit !!! One thing that has worked for some of my friends is to ALSO quit or really cut back on their CAFFINE intake. Its a two edged sword - the nicotine calms you, the caffine gets you going - and if you are used to "using" both at the same time, then the absence of one of them, will make the effects of the other more overwhelming to the point that you feel the need to reverse the sitation. So - this means moderating your intake of most soda's as well as coffee, and tea, some types of which actually have more caffine in them that coffee.

Pack and a half a day for almost 30 years. Put 'em down two and a half years ago - it's one of the things in my life that I'm really proud of. Hooray for Wrigley's Spearmint and that damned nicotine patch... Stick with it, Mark. You'll feel great. You'll taste food again. You'll smell things. You'll have more money... dB If you want a grin, check out my [url=http://artists.mp3s.com/artist_song/1326/1326984.html]Smoker\'s Blues[/url] tune....

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Still clean bro? I knocked it on the head in 1980 from about 30 a day and I got to say it wasthe best thing I have done. Some stuff I found useful: 1.It's personal. You're not doing it for someone else your'e doing it for yourself(to yourself if you start back). 2. After about a week there is no reason to start again except that you consciously choose to. Smoking wont make you feel better at this stage but you can revel in your weakness. 3. the only person you are bullshitting is yourself. Examine the reasons you like to smoke and the chances are that they are illusiory(sp?). 4. If you find yourself drunk with a brew in one hand & a smoke in the other, put the smoke out. You are not back to square one. Looking back on how long you been clean will give you a false sense of acheivement that you can stay off for x hours or years but the only way to really stop is to mentally get to the point where there is no reason to start again. 5. too much bag work can fuck up your hands, esp going for tension releasing power over the technical aspects of fighting. 6. If you can't do it at least switch to the less physically damaging heroin. At least you can feel those drugs. (Ironic smiley) For years after I quit I would smoke a ciggy in the pub & try to take bets that I would stay off in the morning. Made a few dollars that way but now I can't smoke a whole one without turning green so I am not as convincing as I once was. Dig in, Star, you know you can do it. Peace

Archived