Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help me date a Marshall 1960 Lead speaker cabinet

VeloDoug

Hey... I found another '79 and am playing it tomorrow. On the phone, the guy selling it said something unsettling to me.

Has anyone heard that Greenbacks (Celestion G-12-M 25w) heat up and start sounding crappy after 20 minutes of playing?

Let me know your thoughts.

-- Doug

Absolutely not true. I had a full 1960 stack for over 15 years and I _never_ had that problem even driving them hard with a JCM 800 2203. Those are terrific speakers.

Born on the Bayou

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey... I found another '79 and am playing it tomorrow. On the phone, the guy selling it said something unsettling to me.

Has anyone heard that Greenbacks (Celestion G-12-M 25w) heat up and start sounding crappy after 20 minutes of playing?

Let me know your thoughts.

-- Doug

THE HELL THEY DO!! Oh no they don't!! they sound great all the time!!! :thu:

I've heard that about Celestion G12T-75s, but not the G12M-25 greenbacks. Greenbacks take a licking and keep on ticking, er, rocking...

The saga continues, but the educational journey has been fun so far...

I played this guy's '79 Marshall with Blackbacks (G-12M) from '76-78. It sounded pretty good, but wasn't all original and he wouldn't budge from $900. I may still go back to buy it, but have also found a store here in SF that has 4 more '70's era Marshall cabinets with G-12M for less money ($599-899) that I'll try with my amp on Monday.

I had a few thoughts that I hoped would illicit some more conversation from the group.

• speaker codes stamped on the cones - One of the speaker cones in this cabinet was a little lighter grey and had not stamp on the speaker cone. What is the significance of the code stamped on the back of the speaker cones? What does it mean if they are missing?
  • original parts - With vintage guitars, not having all original parts significantly detracts from the value of the instrument. Is this less significant with speaker cabinets? This particular cabinet had the center post (the wood that goes from the front to the back of the caginet) replaced, the speaker jack was not original, and the speakers were period-correct, but not the original drivers.
  • detecting a recone - How can you tell? I had my suspicions on this cabinet because it didn't have the code stamped on the back of the cone. On the first cabinet I looked at, the speaker missing its end cap was reconed, but I wouldn't know how to tell by looking at it.
  • are reconed speakers necessarily a bad thing? - With a 30 year old speaker, how much life should I expect it still has? Should re-coned speakers be worth less?
  • is 85W too much - How careful do I need to be pairing an 85 watt Mesa Boogie Mark IV with a vintage 100 watt cabinet? Is this cutting it too close to really crank it up without risk of blowing the speakers?

I'm interested to hear what you have to say. Have a great weekend!

Doug

MUSCLE:91 Mesa Mk4(rack mounted)|Mesa F30|Mesa Nomad45|'78 Marshall 4x12

HEART:07 Gibson LP Std 50s Neck|86 Jackson Soloist|92 PRS Custom 24|01 PRS Singlecut|Taylor 814ce|MIM Strat

• speaker codes stamped on the cones - One of the speaker cones in this cabinet was a little lighter grey and had not stamp on the speaker cone. What is the significance of the code stamped on the back of the speaker cones? What does it mean if they are missing?

The cone code just tells you which cone it is. Celestion used different cones for the speakers they put in their Bass cabs, for example. It's just another piece of information about the construction of the speaker, although it doesn't tell you when the speaker was made. That's what the date code on the frame is for.

• original parts - With vintage guitars, not having all original parts significantly detracts from the value of the instrument. Is this less significant with speaker cabinets? This particular cabinet had the center post (the wood that goes from the front to the back of the caginet) replaced, the speaker jack was not original, and the speakers were period-correct, but not the original drivers.

Absolutely, non-original parts devalue a vintage cab. The center post isn't that big of a deal, and as long as the replacement jack is good quality and reasonably similar to the stock one, it'll only minimally affect value. A recover and/or re-grille knocks the value down more than the post and jack will. Non-original speakers and recones significantly affect the value of a vintage cab.

• detecting a recone - How can you tell? I had my suspicions on this cabinet because it didn't have the code stamped on the back of the cone. On the first cabinet I looked at, the speaker missing its end cap was reconed, but I wouldn't know how to tell by looking at it.

This is where the cone code is your friend... You can find the correct cone codes on the Interweb. If the code on the speaker is different, or if one cone is a different color from all the other speakers in a cab, it's probably a recone.

• are reconed speakers necessarily a bad thing? - With a 30 year old speaker, how much life should I expect it still has? Should re-coned speakers be worth less?

Define bad... If you are talking value, yes. If you are talking sound, a well-done recone using the proper materials and done by someone who knows what they are doing can sound good. It'll likely sound different than an original cone, but good and bad are in the ears of the beholder. There are lots of 30-year-old speakers that still rock, but some of them dies. It happens...

• is 85W too much - How careful do I need to be pairing an 85 watt Mesa Boogie Mark IV with a vintage 100 watt cabinet? Is this cutting it too close to really crank it up without risk of blowing the speakers?

I don't know much about Boogies and how they rate their output. Marshalls are conservatively rated, in that the 100w rating is a clean signal before clipping. Which means a 100w Marshall can put out 160w or more when it is cranked. Some speakers can take more than what they are rated at as well, but then again I'd rather not take that chance. Back before I knew as much about amps and speakers I ran my 100w Marshall into a single 100w cab and didn't blow a speaker, but I don't think I'd do that today...

Thanks Michael!

HEART:07 Gibson LP Std 50s Neck|86 Jackson Soloist|92 PRS Custom 24|01 PRS Singlecut|Taylor 814ce|MIM Strat

The search is over. Here are some pics of my '78 Marshall cab with Celestion G12H's.

It isn't all original, but the speakers are '78 and the cabinet appears to be also (with my limited knowledge), but the price was hard to beat... a full $1000 cheaper than the one at San Francisco Guitar Center. That one was pretty sweet, but $1000 still in my pocket is sweeter!

Many thanks to all that gave me good advice.

Yeah... this cab sounded a little deeper/darker than the others I played with M's. Although a minor point, I am a little more comfortable with it being a 120 watt cabinet (vs. 100 watt) with my 85 watt Mesa Mark IV.

Archived