Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Phil Manzanera/801 Live..?

Hey, what do you guys think of Phil Manzanera's playing? I've never been able to come to terms with it... I can never really remember any of it, and yet I love Roxy music, especially the early stuff. I don't think I've ever seen anyone mention him on this forum (well, maybe you have, but I don't have much faith in the new search engine)

And what about 801 Live? Anyone else like that record? I keep playing it, over and over. I'm amazed at what a great live band they must have been. Even Manzanera plays rather memorably, even if he seems to be doing a Gilmour.

Opinions?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember loving some of his stuff. I really dug Roxy Music. I particularly liked one of the bassist he had, can't remember the name now. Unfortunately I no longer have any of the albums. I tried a Phil Manzanera thread on Pandora but that didn't turn up too much of interest. I have a friend in Yorkshire who is a major fan who has posted me some cool Manzanera news and links in the past so I'll try to dig them up for you.

I guess his stuff doesn't really sit in the melody long ;) though I can hear one of his tracks in my head as I speak - something with guitar and ebow I think.

I love his playing on the Manifesto and Avalon albums. Very atmospheric. I've never sat down and tried to figure out what he was doing though. He is one of those guitarists whose sound really defines the band (at least on those two albums). I'm not sure how his playing would translate to other contexts.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

My older brothers were big Roxy fans, and had several of Manzanera's solo/side projects as well. I'm pretty sure I've heard 801 Live, but not in quite some time. I do have one of his solo albums, I think it's caled "Southern Cross". A couple of nice instrumentals, some South American influenced tracks; uses a couple of good vocalists, including Tim Finn. Bryan Ferry's vocals make some of the early Roxy unappealing to me.

While I can see the similarities to Gilmour, that isn't my first thought. I think he's got his own sound/style; one of the instrumentals reminds me a bit more of Steve Hackett than Gilmour.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Archived