Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Punk Rock ??

RocketRick

There's good punk and bad punk music (just like any music).

That's like saying there are good STDs and bad STDs. :eek: :grin:

Heck...it got us the hell out of the disco craze on the dance floors!!! :thu:

The Knack killed disco with My Sharona.

As Pee Wee Herman said in Cheech & Chong's Next Movie, "N-E-W XW-A-V-E!!" :)

New Wave > Punk

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
McLaren

G.

I really don't know what to make of Malcolm McLaren. He's a world unto himself. He's not really a musical figure, but he's some sort of cultural pioneer.

Sure, I don't appreciate his influence on the music industry, but look how much he's responsible for. The punk thing as a fashion statement, and the weird way that he turned consumerism into a form of rebellion. His pioneering use of hip-hop ("Buffalo Girls") and what would become World Music ("Soweto"). His blending of opera with dance music ("Madame Butterfly"). You can see echoes of things he came up with, all around us.

The man is nothing if not creative.

Yo B3 John....The Who played piano ballads? I may have missed them, which ones??? When referencing The Who as the original punks, of course I'm talkin The Who with Moonie. After Moon bought it, it was never the same intensity level.....How could it have been??

To be clear, those weren't my words though I agree with them (in fact the guy who said that intended it as a dig at keyboards such as myself). Go back and listen to the slow parts of "5'15" or "Love Reign O'er Me". Already by Quadrophenia in, what, '73? the punk had been processed out of a lot of it by Townsend. Not to mention Pete's love of synths in general and sequencers in particular.

John (recovering piano player in need of a twelve step program :wink:)

GP sacred cow of the year: Jimmy Vaughan

Archived