Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sonar Users Unite

alright i know alot of you use sonar, my question is is there a common concensus on wich o/s and settings work best, of course the sound cards vary, so i'm intrested in what os and how you set it up. or is everybody just using whatever with no common ground? what i'm hoping is that the best way to use sonar has revealed itself, and that the majority of you are using it that way, so that i might copy. I have win98se,win2000, and i'll get what ever I need ie: winxp

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most people using Sonar without issues are either on Win 2k or XP running audio hardware with WDM drivers. Personally, I have found Echo's WDM drivers to work the best. But many people have found a working driver from M-Audio, although, you will probably have to try all of the revisions to find out which one works best on your system. MOTU has WDM drivers for their PCI-324 card and 828 as well. Although you don't need WDM drivers, they will usually give you the best performance with Sonar. The RME Hammerfall is a good example of a card with only MME drivers than can still achieve low latency with Sonar. When setting up either Win 2k or XP, there is something that has to be setup properly or you will be forever doomed :eek: . This has to do with how Windows handles IRQs and power management and is referred to as ACPI. See [url=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q237/5/56.ASP]this[/url] page for details. Essentially, you want to setup your computer in Standard PC mode during installation. Otherwise, Windows will put all of your PCI devices on IRQ 9, and sharing IRQs among audio devices is a horrible idea. But besides this, there is absolutely nothing else you really have to tweak in either Win 2k or XP to get good performance. Although it's a good idea to turn off the graphical enhancements like scrolling through menu's and personalized menu's.

I was unhappy with SONAR until I used it in Win2000 with WDM drivers. I've found the Frontier Design drivers to be very stable, and I love the features of my Dakota, Sierra, WaveCenter and Tango24. Now SONAR is a real workhorse for me. I use it for monitoring with FX, for most of my synths and samples (except for Gigastudio, which is on another machine.)

I'm having a problem with Sonar receiving SYSEX data. Using a MOTU MIDI Express XT. The Sonar dump request is being sent. The individual sound modules are getting the request. The data from the modules is being sent back through the MIDI interface, but Sonar is not getting the data. All other MIDI data is working fine. I tried sending the data manually and once in a while Sonar would receive some data after pressing "send data" multiple times. I even hooked up a different computer with MIDIEX up to rule out the interface. SYSEX was fine. Any suggestions?

GY

Any of you guys running Sonar on Win2000 or XP, how much memory do you have in your machines? I've been running fine under Win ME. I setup Win2K over the weekend and I am getting rotten performance out of my 900mhz Athlon with 256 meg. The problem is very high disk usage (around 13%) on a project that never went above 2% in ME. I've been trying all the recomended tweaks with no luck. I don't know if this is just massive page swapping (system seems pretty snappy otherwise) or if there is some system setting I've missed. tanks!
- Layne

[quote]Originally posted by steven dunston: [b] Have you increased your disk buffer? It defaults to 64kb, but 256kb is a better setting. It's in the Audio options.[/b][/quote] I've tried everything from 32kb to 512kb. Also number of buffers, latency, etc. It has some effect on when the problems occur, but they happen eventually no matter what. My suspicion is that Win2K is not accessing the disk via DMA. I've checked the system settings and it says it is, but I have my doubts.
- Layne

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Everybody, Very glad to say I'm now a proud Sonar owner :D :D :D Very sad to say I'm havin some problems :( :( Here's my system. AMD Athlon 800 Windows ME 256 Ram Terratec EWS88D sound card, Using for midi and system waveplay for monitoring for now Here goes, I loaded up Sonar and ran the wave profiler. Didn't work, ran it again. I had to do this several times before it profiled my audio card correctly so I could use it. Finally got that going and did some playing around just to get the feel of the program. Everythings goin good till I go to play a Soft synth in real time. Major latency, We're talking in the 180 ms range, obviously unusable. So I get on the net and download the latest WDM drivers for my soundcard, which says it's optimized for Sonar. O.k. get them downloaded and installed, open up Sonar and run the wave profiler again. Tells me that the drivers I'm trying to use are already in use by another program. Hmmm, Sonars the only program running, that's strange. So I tell it to go ahead and run the profiler anyway, it does it's thing and I come back with about a 10 ms latency. Pretty big difference huh, I can deal with that. Only problem is now I can't hear anything!!! No matter what I try it keeps coming back and saying the drivers I'm trying to use are either unable to work with the current audio settings (which I know for a fact they can, I was just doing it before I upgaded my driver) or the driver is in use by another program. I'm stumped, I don't have any other programs running and I know my audio card supports 16 bit 44.1 recording and playback. Heck, it supports a lot higher than that. I know I've got the bit and sample rate set correctly on my card and in Sonar as well. Does anyone have ANY ideas? This ones got me stumped.

Okay, let's see if we can get you sussed out on this. First of all, if you're not running the latest version ( 1.31 ), do not pass go, do not collect $200 - go straight to [url=http://www.cakewalk.com]www.cakewalk.com[/url] and download the upgrade (you'll need to have your Sonar officially registered first). This version is MUCH more stable than the earlier versions. Secondly, go into your Sonar directory (most likely C:\program files\cakewalk\sonar 1 and DELETE the AUD.INF file. Don't worry, Sonar can re-create it. Reboot the computer and then start Sonar. Deleting this file will force Sonar to re-profile your hardware. Hopefully this will solve your problem. As far as latency, there's ways to tweak it once you're up and running... there's settings /sliders to adjust within Sonar - I've only done it a couple of times so I don't have the proceedure memorized and I'm not at the studio at the moment, so unfortunately I can't give you the exact proceedure - but basically, even after Sonar profiles your card, you've still got some adjustments to make in order to get the lowest latency performance on your system. Maybe someone else can chime in with the exact proceedure for you... One last question - are the new WDM drivers for your card Beta drivers? Maybe it's a bug in the drivers causing your trouble. Hope some of this helps... let us know how it's going. Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html pokeefe777@msn.com

Sorry Phil, I KNEW I'd forget something. Yes I have downloaded the latest updates for Sonar, I actually did that before I ever fired the program up. I tried re-profiling like you described, it ran but I get the same problem as before. For some reason it says my drivers are tied up even though I have no other programs running, and as stated before I know darn well I've got the audio settings right so I know it's not something silly like having 2 different bit rates or something like that. I went back to Terratecs web site and checked on the drivers and they are not Beta drivers. The driver actually has been out since August, I wasn't having problems so I hadn't bothered to upgrade it till now. I e-mailed Terratec support about it, hopefully they will be able to hook me up. It's a real bummer to finally get a program like Sonar that I've been droolling over for a while now only to find out I can't HEAR any of the audio!! Bummer, oh well, I'd hoped to have a clean install but I was expecting to have some trouble. Thanks for the tips Phil, I appreciate the time and effort. If anyone else thinks of something please let me know. Phil W.

Hmmm.. Okay, have you disabled System sounds in Windows (control panel / sounds / huh, system sounds I think - I'm running XP and can't check the exact names on this machine...)? If so, turn them off! (ie "No Sounds"). Second: Does your soundcard have a systray applet or a applet in the control panel? If so, open it up. Does it have a way to switch between the ASIO / MME and WDM drivers? If so, try setting it back to MME and try Sonar again - see if you can get in that way. I'm running out of options / suggestions here. I'd suggest getting ahold of the card manufacturer and Cakewalk support... Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html pokeefe777@msn.com

Hey Phil, thanks again for the help, not your fault if it isn't working. I've looked everywhere I can think of but I can't find any place where I can disable the system sounds. There's options for what sound to play and what device to use but I see nothing that actually disables the system sounds. My sound card did come with a virtual mixer that sits in the systray but I don't see anywhere to actually change from mme to wdm. But that was a seperate program from the new wdm driver I just downloaded, don't know what bearing that might have. I tried forcing Sonar to run mme regardless, which worked as far as I was able to use the drivers I want to for playback but there is a huge amount of latency and distortion when running it like this now so I can't do that either. BAH!! One thing I did find while I was perusing my system settings, I found this in the system summarry area, was that I was able to bring up the driver status for my system (not soundcard) and it says the following. Make of it what you will, I don't understand it. I'm not sure if it's talking about the WDM drivers I need to use or not, anyway, here goes. *WDMFS WDM windows file system mapper Kernal driver not available* Is that saying that my computer, though I'm running Win ME, isn't configured to run wdm?? You got me. Thanks for the effort regardless Phil, I appreciate it much. Phil W.

Stratman, when i got sonar i had the exact same problem and i can't seem to remember how i got through it. I think it was a sound card WDM driver update that fixed it for me. Here are some things you should check through. -First, read the sonar "read me" file all the way through and make sure that you aren't missing something from that. There are a few issues with particular files that may be a problem. -Turn off your system sounds by doing the following; Go to Start/ settings/control panel/sounds/schemes(set to none/ apply Have you optimized your system at all? -Go to start/run/type "msconfig" and make sure that the "startup" page has as few items checked as possible. All you should have on an audio system is 'reg scan and sys tray'.Everything else can be delt with differently. - are you updated in sonar to version 1.3? That is a must!!!! -Try some of these things one by one if you get this far. ....restart your computer in safe mode (continually hit F8 at startup) Right click on my computer and and go to device manager then to sound controllers. Delete anything that has an exact double entry ie. your sound card(delete both copys, windows will rebuild it as one at the next start up) Sometimes there are 3 or four of and item. you should check your monitors for the same too. Restart. -reinstall your soundcard drivers -reinstall sonar. By the way, which direct x version are you running? go to Start/accesories/system tools/tools/dx diagnostic [ 11-24-2001: Message edited by: halljams ]

Archived