Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tunes missing from the Real Book European sixth edition

Kayvon

I just recently bought the real book European sixth edition from my local music shop and i'm a little surprised at some of the tunes they've missed out. Obviously you could go on forever adding tunes but I bought this primarily for instances where I might be with other jazz musicians and we want to jam on some tunes in a fairly modern style.

Here are some of the tunes i'm familiar with that i'd have thought should've been included on the basis that other jazz musicians may call them in a jam:

Sweet Georgia Brown

Have you met miss Jones?

Cantaloupe Island

I've got rhythm

Round Midnight

Billie's Bounce

Can anybody add any popular currently played tunes to these that they think should've been included in the Real Book European sixth Edition?

Peter.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, and in the case of Round Midnight, there was a 2 part story in Keyboard a few years ago on Round Midnight and the fact that there is no standard set of changes for the tune. Even Monk played different sets of changes. It was a really excellent couple of articles. Gorgeous tune, and I hate when people call it simply because everyone has their own set of changes to that thing.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Thanks for the info kanker. I've not played round midnight myself but it's one of those tunes I hear getting played and talked about so I figure i'd like to just add some dots on a lead sheet of my own to the real book just to be armed in some respect.

I'm really a beginner at jazz standards, just trying to bridge the gaps between pure improvisation, following changes and playing arranged pieces. Following standard changes and melodies is actually my weakest point. I can noodle aimlessly for a good while and I can play arranged pieces up to a level but my following standards needs alot of work.

Hold on though, Kayvon. Are you talking about a European edition of The Real Book, or The European Real Book (published I think by Sher Music) that focuses on European composers from the 1960s onward? If it's the latter, that's why there's standards missing - it's not a standards oriented book. You need to get The Real Book (now legal, but not significantly different than its Illegal Bible fifth edition).

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

I'm talking about the European edition of the Real Book Dave. I wasn't aware of a European real book, thanks for pointing that out.

Hmm, I know someone with a pdf copy of an earlier real book. How do people feel about it's illegality? I guess it's not as bad as sharing arranged pieces.

Archived