Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Most Monumental Album Flops

Zuben

Just read an article that rated anticipated albums

#10 Flop was U2 POP

# 8 Flop was Meatloafs album after Bat out of Hell

# 6 The Artist Formally Known. RaveUn2

# 5 Flop was Frampton I am in You. (you can say what you want but Frampton can lay down licks with the best of them.

# 2 Bruce Springsteen Human Touch

And #1 Bob Dylan. Self Portrait.

The rest were a real choice fine musicians like Ferderline, Paris Hilton, Garth Brooks Alter Ego, Mariah Carey.

What you you rate as the biggest flop you thought would be great?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with everyone else. Something I would consider a flop is just a follow-up album to an album that I liked a lot that simply disappointed me. No one's probably even heard of most of them, but to name a few:

Jonny Lang Turn Around - I thought Long Time Coming was fantastic, and then this was less guitar and more gospel stuff; nothing against his religious conversion, just that his new album was a dud.

Trivium The Crusade - Though you guys don't listen to metal, this band's album Ascendancy was the best metal album this side of Iron Maiden I've heard in ages and actually did quite well on the charts, even going on the be rated one of the best metal albums of the year. On the other hand, Crusade was nowhere near as powerful and seemed to be trying to be too much of a political statement and not enough talent.

Rush Snakes and Arrows The band has been back together for over five years now, and they still cannot manage to recapture what made Hemispheres and other albums of the 1970s such fantastic both musically and on the charts. I'm gonna give them one more chance and say the third time is a charm. Wait until 2009 or so.

Shut up and play.

Sometimes I even find that the "flop" albums were better than the best-sellers.

For example, one HUGE flop was "Gold Afternoon Fix", by The Church, one of my favourite bands ever. It came after "Starfish" and, even though Starfish was *hands down* the bigger seller, I still prefer "Gold Afternoon Fix".

But I dunno... If I can actually get to hear an album, I don't really care about what the press says about it.

Frampton's career always intrigued me. "Framton Comes Alive" came out of nowhere its seems to be one of the biggest selling albums of all time. I had not heard of him before that even though I now know he had been around awhile. Then he did the god awefull Sgt. Pepper movie and dissapeared completely.

I saw him on PBS recently and am amazed at how good he is. His improvised lines are really melodic and his tone is one of the best out there. Its too bad how talented people can get sidetracked with the whole fame thing and that the public is so fickle. I think I heard one song off his follow up album but never heard anything again so I don't rememeber if it was good or not. I guess the good thing is that if you have a hit record you can be set for life. You can continue to make music all you want and not worry about selling albums. But after seeing the PBS show, I would consider seeing him live, he put on a great show.

RE: Peter Frampton

I saw an interview once with the late Bill Graham (note, the concert promoter not the evangelist) where he was talking about how he went ballistic the minute he heard "I'm In You". Graham said Frampton had allowed the brass at his record company to ruin his rock career for one pop album, that he'd never be taken seriously as a rock act again. All of the good karma from "Frampton Comes Alive" down the tubes. Which is pretty much how it went down.

John

GP sacred cow of the year: Jimmy Vaughan

What a weird list. I can't see how they can rate Human Touch at #2. That was a great album. Maybe it wasn't a huge seller, but it was released at the same time as Lucky Town, remember.

Frampton--I blame that on his manager at the time. He wanted to position him as a pop idol, so "I'm In You" had less emphasis on his guitar playing. Plus, the success of "Comes Alive" became an albatross of sorts to Frampton. He was and still is an excellent player who keeps a sense of humor and clear perspective on everything. Remember him on 'The Simpsons'?

I'm surprised they didn't mention the KISS solo albums. All four were released at the same time, and flopped horribly. We're talking MILLIONS of albums returned to Casablanca that didn't sell. Out of all four albums, only Ace's "New York Groove" got any airplay at all.

"I'm very easy to please. I just want everyone in the palm of my hand."

--Duke Ellington

Molly Hatchet's "Beatin' the Odds" was pretty bad, coming right after "Flirtin' With Disaster". They had lost Danny Joe Brown between those two albums.

Speaking of Kiss, "The Elder" was possibly their worst selling album.

Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

I think you can throw Metallica's "St. Anger" in there too.

Definitely. Though I don't know anyone expected it to be monumental. I knew it was going to suck after the announced they were considering bringing Jay-Z on for a recording. :rolleyes:

Shut up and play.

Frampton is a very approachable guy and very funny. He has taken his licks in the press pretty well.

A couple of us we talking to him back stage at a Fest and he did admit the Frampton Comes Alive has given him the ability to do what he wants to when he wants to. The royalties must be staggering.

I loved the part he played as Humble Pie's road manager in ALMOST FAMOUS seeing he got his real 1st break playing in Humble Pie.

His latest album is worth every penny as he gets back to his roots and plays some serious guitar on it. Had some pretty good back up players too.

Peace

I want to live next door to Peter Frampton!! Great player, and seems like a great guy. I love his early solo albums the best. I had a chance to meet him during the tour he did as he was releasing that solo instrumental CD recently. He was also just about to announce the Frampton sig. Martin acoustic. Here's a pic of me shaking his hand....we're laughing at some drunk guy who was trying to tell Peter how to autograph the guy's son's guitar. I turned to Peter and said "you've never signed a guitar before, have you?" You can see the laugh;

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/mdrs1/ROCKSTAR.jpg

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Molly Hatchet's "Beatin' the Odds" was pretty bad, coming right after "Flirtin' With Disaster". They had lost Danny Joe Brown between those two albums.

Speaking of Kiss, "The Elder" was possibly their worst selling album.

yeah considering all the movie stuff they hyped up for the "story".

actually it isn't a badly written album but the production sucks big time.

it is probably the less KISS sounding album they made.

I want to live next door to Peter Frampton!! Great player, and seems like a great guy. I love his early solo albums the best. I had a chance to meet him during the tour he did as he was releasing that solo instrumental CD recently. He was also just about to announce the Frampton sig. Martin acoustic. Here's a pic of me shaking his hand....we're laughing at some drunk guy who was trying to tell Peter how to autograph the guy's son's guitar. I turned to Peter and said "you've never signed a guitar before, have you?" You can see the laugh;

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/mdrs1/ROCKSTAR.jpg

i want to live next door to you so i can visit your toys.

ones I'd list as flops:

Queen's Hot Space. That was the album when they decided to experiment with synth-heavy funk and R&B, and wound up alienating their core audience in the US. These days I can listen to it and marvel at how ahead of its time it was, and Roger's two best songs are on this, but a lot of Queen fans consider it their worst album.

The Darkness, One Way Ticket To Hell. What forward momentum the band had with Permission To Land came to a screeching halt with the release of the followup. It's due to the fact it seems to be overengineered and too rigidly timed, not to mention the utterly horrible Girlfriend :eek: This flopped so bad that the band scrapped their entire US tour.

"I used to be "with it", but then they changed what "it" was! Now what I'm with isn't "it", and what is "it" is weird and scary to me. IT'LL HAPPEN TO YOU!" - Grampa Simpson

I'll have to say for me it was Vapor Trails by Rush

There are others but thit is the most memorable because I think I was expecting it to be....well....GOOD. The other ones I Do not recall because they must of been so bad that I put them out of my mind.

What can this strange device be?

When I touch it, it gives forth a sound

It's got wires that vibrate, and give music

What can this thing be that I found?

There's a DVD of Frampton (Live In Detroit) that I bought several years back because it was one of the first ones the be recorded in 5.1 surround (not remixed to 5.1). I loved "Framption Comes Alive" as a teenager, and this DVD is really well done. I recommend it to anyone. I would love to be able to play as well as he does :)

http://www.amazon.com/Peter-Frampton-Live-Detroit/dp/6305837074/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-2445867-1791223?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1180478143&sr=8-1

"I hate music--especially when it's played" Jimmy Durante

Albums that didn't work for me:

Most Roy Buchanan after the 2nd Album.

Most Byrds after "Untitled" with Clarence White.

Most Hendrix bootlegs.

Most bootlegs I've heard, period. (Crappy recordings of second rate performances.)

Parts of the Beatles' White Album (too much filler, despite a handful of great songs.)

You can tell, can't you, that I don't get out much these days?

Usually, speaking seriously for a change, I focus on the stuff I DO like, and yes indeed, some of it was recorded in this century!

YES! Ace Frehley's solo record!

Man, I've been pimping that sucker since I was 10! That album still holds up. Cool tones (Eddie Kramer produced it), great playing, and even though the lyrics are pretty goofy, I dig the tunes.

YES! Ace Frehley's solo record!

Man, I've been pimping that sucker since I was 10! That album still holds up. Cool tones (Eddie Kramer produced it), great playing, and even though the lyrics are pretty goofy, I dig the tunes.

true, lots of cool drumming from Anton Fig.

especially right before the solo in Rip it out he gets to have some fun.

There was an album by a lady named Nanci Nevins, who started out with a band called Sweetwater back about 1967. She went off on her own and did a solo album a year or three later, can't remember the name of it, that actually put the record company out of business. They hocked the kitchen sink on it, and it went nowhere fast.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived