Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

VJ combo, 4 ohm jack, help to find cabinet?

blitzkrieg bop

I notice that the speaker of my valve junior combo is plugged into a 4 ohm jack. So it seems that I can plug it into any 4 ohm speaker cabinet, however, I can't seem to find many (either 4x12's or bass cabs). Does anybody know where I can find some 4ohm speaker cabs, preferably 1x12 or 2x12, or anything really, though a 4x12 is a bit big for what I use it for?
"When learned men begin to use their reason, then I generally discover that they haven't got any." -GK Chesterton

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you don't like 4 ohm loads (I do), there are mods out there specifically for the VJ combo to tap an 8 ohm or 16 ohm jack. My VJ head has separate 4/8/16 ohm output jacks. Check 18watt.com or google "valve junior mods". Or you could rewire two 8 ohm 12s in parallel to get a 4 ohm load. :thu:

Now I don't advocate you plug that 4 ohm output into a higher ohm cabinet but I've been known to do it (as recently as this afternoon :wink:). As a rule I would never do this the other direction (and definitely never with either a 2 ohm output or load).

Then again I'd think nothing of running a 30 watt amp "feathered just a bit" into a 20 watt speaker trying to get a certain sound, so clearly I can't be trusted with this stuff. :D

John

GP sacred cow of the year: Jimmy Vaughan

Thanks for the input!

Can I hook up an 8 ohm speaker to the 4 ohm jack, or is this bad? I'm not too sure how speaker impedence works. Will this ruin the speaker or amp?

"When learned men begin to use their reason, then I generally discover that they haven't got any." -GK Chesterton

You can use an 8 ohm speaker with a 4 ohm load. You can plug in a cab with a higher ohm rating, but never a lower rating. I've used a 12 inch 8 ohm cab with my VJ combo for a while. You lose very little power with a simple amp like the VJ combo, when you don't match the ohms properly.

Its "bad" and "you should never do that". There, we got that out of the way. I do it all the time, but for me its a calculated risk. I'm not responsible if you blow your amp. YMMV.

As I said above, I always (well, almost always) use a larger speaker load than the amps rated output load. So an 8 ohm speaker plugged into the 4 ohm amp output jack, (again generally speaking) NOT the other way around. More load than than the amp expects, not less. And NEVER do this with a 2 ohm load or output unless you know what you are doing and why.

Also, I think the mod to add an 8 ohm output jack for that amp is very simple. Edit: I was almost right, there is a very simple mod to add a SPDT (Single Pole, Double Throw) switch to change the output impedance of your Valve Jr. combo's existing 4 ohm output jack to either 4 ohm or 8 ohm. This is because the output transformer is already tapped for 4 or 8 ohms (and 16 ohms too, though that might require installing a different switch and/or another jack). See Epiphone Valve Junior mods page [euthymia.org] and scroll down to the "Output Impedance Switch" section at the bottom. If you aren't electronics savvy or don't understand how or why you'd want to discharge a capacitor in a high voltage circuit before working on it, any competent tech with a drill could do this mod for you in about 5 minutes.

John

John,

If you have a 2X12 cab, open it up, rewire it. Series and you'll have a 4 ohm load. First check the ohm of each speaker. Many series 8 ohm cabs are 16 ohm speakers or 4 ohm speaker in parallel. Most will be 8 ohm or 4 ohm. Altec did make a lot of 16 ohm horns.

I use to build a stage PA speaker with 2 15" a horn and 8 8" full range that I crossed over to midrange. It was one of my most popular cabinets. Some are still in use.

I could wire them for 8 or 4 ohm.

Get a good Ohm meter and play around with different wiring.

Peace

careful ohm impedence is different than

ohms resistance and you can't measure it

with a basic multi meter.

But the formulas are the same concept

if you wire series you add the ohms

2-8 ohm speakers in series is 16 ohms

parallel is a different formula

_________1___________

1/X + 1/X + 1/X + 1/X

so lets say you have 4-16 ohm speaker

X=16 ohms 1/16 = 0.0625

+__________

1/0.25 = 4 ohms

Why do you lay down? I say that it beats standing up! whats got you feeling so down? I hold up my empty cup!

Zub, yes, I personally prefer a pair of 8 ohm vintage 12s (20 watt) in parallel to get a 4 ohm load (provided the amp will support it). I've never been a fan of two 12s in series to get 16 ohms because I think it affects the tone, but I'd do it if I had to (like an amp that didn't have a 2 ohm or 4 ohm output).

John

Archived