Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New pickups this week!

blitzkrieg bop

OK...I made the decision to put a Duncan SSL-1 in the neck and mid, and a Little 59 in the bridge of my MIM Strat. I actually bought the '59 on ebay for $43, free ship. It's a year old but in very good shape; figure I'd give it a shot since it's better than paying $80. I bought the 2 SSL-1's off ebay as well (New) and was able to "Make an offer" at which I submitted for $48 and $56 (second is a reverse wound mid, which I guess is more expensive), so I think I got a good deal since SSL-1's usually go for $52 and reverse wounds $60 something.

Anyway, since I don't know how to solder (but would like to learn someday) I will bring it somewhere to replace the pickups. Can't wait to play with my new tones! I will try to post a clip, not that anybody really wants to hear my poor playing though. :rawk:

"When learned men begin to use their reason, then I generally discover that they haven't got any." -GK Chesterton

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I tried the Little '59. It sounded a too compressed and didn't have a great musicallity to it in the SRV strat I put it in. A big part of what I didn't like was it not being in the tone control. It was just too bright. I didn't figure how to wire a Strat so it had just a master tone control till after I took it out. I imagine it really depends on what guitar you put it in, I had heard others who used it and it sounded great. I hope it works out great for you.

yea...I'll give it a shot. I'm going mainly by sound clips as I really haven't played anything with a little '59 in it. If I don't like it, I'll try something else. I wanted something "vintage" sounding for the neck and mid, so hopefully the SSL's will take it there. I was thinking of the 57/62's, but could only find them in a set of 3, and I want to try a single coil size hummer in the bridge. We shall see....

This is why I'd like to learn how to replace pickups myself, so I can save the money of paying a tech. That way if I don't like a pickup I can sell it and try something else without paying someone each time. But for now, I don't want to mess anything up. I'm thinking of buying a very very cheap guitar (under $100) and mess around with soldering on it (maybe try putting the MIM pups in there or something) just to learn...

"When learned men begin to use their reason, then I generally discover that they haven't got any." -GK Chesterton

I wanted something "vintage" sounding for the neck and mid, so hopefully the SSL's will take it there.

This is why I'd like to learn how to replace pickups myself, so I can save the money of paying a tech. That way if I don't like a pickup I can sell it and try something else without paying someone each time. But for now, I don't want to mess anything up. I'm thinking of buying a very very cheap guitar (under $100) and mess around with soldering on it (maybe try putting the MIM pups in there or something) just to learn...

I have the set of 3 SSL-1 pups (California 50s calibrated set)...they're great...the real deal. :thu:

I've soldered since I was a teenager...I always do all my repairs and upgrades (unless it's fret replacement). Just Google "soldering" or something...it's easy. Just make sure to heat the surface to solder first to avoid a cold solder. Pups are the easiest to solder....it's just wire.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Archived