Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So I bought this funky Yamaha guitar...

PBBPaul

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/579/yamaha1dq6.jpg

And so far, I love it!

It came out of the box perfectly set up and needing only a quick tweak on the tuning. It plays very well, sounds great and is impossibly light. I expected a lot more piezo quack but the sound from the LR Baggs system is quite good IMHO. The only negative... With the carbon fiber bouts, the plastic backing that houses the on-board headphone amp, and its light weight, it feels a little toy like. It is however, a beautifully built first class instrument with a maple "body" and a very nice mahogany neck.

I bought this guitar (A Yamaha SLG100S) to use when I travel. I liked it because it breaks down very small yet is a quality instrument with a full size scale. The on board headphone amp is very cool and allows me to play in peace at whatever volume I want. The built in reverb is pretty weak but I don't care. I played dozens of travel quitars but none of them really did it for me except this one.

I'll post clips as soon as I can get around to recording some.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got to spend a couple of hours playing this guitar last night. It is so cool to be able to practice while the rest of the house sleeps. I have many high-end guitars and this one just demands to be played. It's just so different. I tried my damnedest to throw it out of tune with lots of bending and heavy chord slamming but it just stays put. Very nice.

Great, Paul! You better be around for me to check yours out come the end of the month! :D

I was really excited about the introduction of a silent guitar from Yamaha. (When I worked at MARS they had introduced the silent violin and cello, but no guitar yet.) When the classical version was released I was impressed, but really I wanted a steel string.

Unfortunately, when the steel string was released I was completely underwhelmed by the specimens I was able to play at Sam Ash and elsewhere. I really had high hopes for it. Maybe they've gotten better but for my fingerpicking style it will have to be far more responsive than those I've played.

Congrats on finding a travel instrument that suits you. I went to Las Vegas this past weekend and brought an absolutely godawful toy guitar. I would've brought the decent First Act (that still only cost $35) but I was afraid I'd have to abandon the instrument if they wouldn't let me take it on as carry-on. I realized very quickly why we never took it out of the box. I had to tune it up to ADGCEA to begin arching the neck enough to elminate most of the string buzz. :freak:

Compared to that the silent guitar is a godsend, of course. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Great, Paul! You better be around for me to check yours out come the end of the month! :D

I was really excited about the introduction of a silent guitar from Yamaha. (When I worked at MARS they had introduced the silent violin and cello, but no guitar yet.) When the classical version was released I was impressed, but really I wanted a steel string.

Unfortunately, when the steel string was released I was completely underwhelmed by the specimens I was able to play at Sam Ash and elsewhere. I really had high hopes for it. Maybe they've gotten better but for my fingerpicking style it will have to be far more responsive than those I've played.

Congrats on finding a travel instrument that suits you. I went to Las Vegas this past weekend and brought an absolutely godawful toy guitar. I would've brought the decent First Act (that still only cost $35) but I was afraid I'd have to abandon the instrument if they wouldn't let me take it on as carry-on. I realized very quickly why we never took it out of the box. I had to tune it up to ADGCEA to begin arching the neck enough to elminate most of the string buzz. :freak:

Compared to that the silent guitar is a godsend, of course. ;)

Hey Neil!

The end of the month, eh? Should we try this again?

As far as I know, I'll be around at least weekends throughout May. I have to go to LA for a couple of days next week and will likely be traveling at least one other week. When are you planning on visiting the great Midwest?

My bro-in-law gets married on June 2nd. We took advantage of the Memorial Day weekend to get a full week's vacation at a cost of only 4 vacation days. ;) So, for a change we'll be around for a full week with limited family obligations. I intend to make sure to get some time with you, Pauldil and anyone else I can manage to find crawling around northern Illinois/southeast Wisconsin. I have to contact Super8. I suspect he hasn't been online in large part because of his job driving OTR.

I can't wait!

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived