Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

tuner stompbox?

blitzkrieg bop

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been using the same Boss TU-12 chromatic tuner for at least 15 years now. And if I haven't managed to kill it yet, it must be pretty tough... It's not a stomp box, but it is accurate and the chromatic function allows me to do alternate tunings. I keep it out of the signal path with a true-bypass A/B box.

I have several Korg's like this one....actually I have the model just before this one...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Korg-DT10BK-Chromatic-Pedal-Tuner?sku=210072

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

I'm a TU-2 guy myself, as are most people I know. I think mostly, it's the convienent shape of a Boss pedal that makes the TU-2 more attractive than some of the others, but I've heard folks say the Boss is much more visible on a dark stage or dark bedroom, it's accurate, and it doesn't suck tone. I've noticed all those features, but again, what sold it for me was the versatile and ubiquitous Boss compact pedal size.
Shut up and play.

I use THIS from Planet Waves. Its a good tuner and very happy with it. Funny thing is I hardly ever have to use it because my guitar stays in tune so frigging well :cool:

What can this strange device be?

When I touch it, it gives forth a sound

It's got wires that vibrate, and give music

What can this thing be that I found?

I used to use the Boss TU-12 with a volume pedal to mute my sound when I tuned. I just switched to the TU-2. It's brighter, it powers my pedals, it mutes my sound when I step on it, and I eliminated the volume pedal and about 4 feet of cable!

Ernie Ball volume pedals have a tune out jack that I think keeps the tuner off your chain...

Otherwise, it might be better to use and A/B switch to kee p it off your chain or a get a Strobostomp for $200 (!) which is true-bypass. I have it and have to say I don't think it sucks tone at all. I like it, and I USUALLY hate electronic tuners.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

I guess I should've typed "usually".

Why bother? Simple: in the pop music world it isn't "kosher" to tune even w/ little volume. I wanted to come up w/ a way to use headphones, but it was too complicated, unnecessarily so. The Strobostomp is a really nice tuner, but most people think it takes a while to get used to them. Since I wasn't used to ANY tuners, it was all the same to me. Again, eveything depends on what you're used to, and I really like THINK it is better (more accurate) than the TU-2--AND you don't need a true-bypass A/B switch onstage. But that's just what I think.

I'll edit the above post...

My MySpace Space

Understandable, but I personally think true bypass is way overrated for a tuner. I have a pedal board with 5 pedals on it, including the tuner. Two are true bypass, one is bypass buffered (a la Visual Sound), and the last one is a Keeley modded Boss. So to me, having one or two non-true bypass pedals in a five-pedal set up is not a big deal.

Now, I think part of it is because I don't own a fancy tube amp, just a Valve Junior and a solid-state Peavey. However, the Peavey is particularly picky about pedals, so it's a good amp to use to judge. I find often that awesome tube amps, like a good Fender blackface or a Matchless or something (one of which I want to own someday when I'm not in college and have money), often make any pedal sound at least decent. Anyway, maybe one of these days when I own a nice tube amp I'll change my mind. For now, true bypass schmoo schmypass.

Shut up and play.

So why is the Strobostomp over $100 better than the TU-2? As far as the tuning accuracy goes, I've found that the strobostomp & the TU-2 use more accuracy than I can actually achieve with my guitar tuners. Also, as a string vibrates it can be sharper at times, such as when you first hit it. This is why our tuners will bounce up & down with each note. Since I find that I pluck the guitar strings often, and since guitars are naturally out of tune as it is, I decided it wasn't worth the extra money for the accuracy.

And honestly, I always thought the TU-2 was true bypass until I looked it up just now! But I've never noticed tone suckage from it, but then it seems my Marshall has a lot of tone to spare.

Nope it's not necessarily $100 or $120 "better" than the TU-2. It does have some nice functions, like the "sweetened" tunings, etc. Actually, getting a TU-2 AND a true-bypass A/B box is still cheaper than a Strobostomp.

blitzkrieg: if you need a volume pedal, possibly you should consider getting the Ernie Ball w/ "tuner out" jack.

Me? I've managed to tune more accurately w/ the Peterson rather than the w/ Boss--but hey that's just me.

My MySpace Space

As far as the tuning accuracy goes, I've found that the strobostomp & the TU-2 use more accuracy than I can actually achieve with my guitar tuners.

I feel the same way, even with the adjustable tuning bridge on my licensed Floyd Rose. There's no way I can much more accurate with the way guitar tuners are setup.

I've managed to tune more accurately w/ the Peterson--but hey that's just me.

I've noticed this too, at times. But when you come home from a long day and just don't want to mess with things or after you change your strings, it's very nice to have a good tuner. Plus, if you ever have loud bandmates or friends, you'll learn you can never tune up by ear. :grin:

Shut up and play.

Archived