Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your favorite tube amps under $500?

blitzkrieg bop

Peavy has recently put out a 5 watt tube amp called the Super Collosal. I think it was done with Joe Satriani.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document/peavey/jsx_mini_colossal_amp?doc_id=101869

Looks cool to me.

Edit: Sort of expensive for the Class A 5-watt market. $500.00. Though, I suppose if you were looking for something that had a good Class A overdrive with more gain than the Epiphone Valve Junior, it might be worth it.

Anyone wonder how long it will take for Marshall to jump on the bandwagon?

Shut up and play.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The JSX Mini shares a number of features with the Windor Studio, including the Class A power circuit, power sponge attenuator, XLR out, and an effects loop. Neither is shipping yet though.

John

GP sacred cow of the year: Jimmy Vaughan

How the heck does the JSX Mini Colossal already have 8 reviews on Musician's Friend when it's not even out yet?

I'm definitely interested in a low-watt tube amp for recording, especially since I live in an apartment. I think even 15W might be too much. The JSX Mini looks like it costs more than the Fender Pro Jr. but then again the Fender Pro Jr. doesn't have an effects loop, mic emulator, etc.

I and my bandmates love the Orange amp tone as played by one of the guitarists in Isis, but that Tiny Terror requires a cabinet, plus a recording mic, even though it sells for roughly the same price as the JSX Mini.

Wow, I can't believe nobody has mentioned Carvin. (or maybe I just didn't see the post) I absolutely love my Carvin Bellaire. They list for $599 but the Nomad is the same amp with only one speaker and it is $499.

I'm definitely interested in a low-watt tube amp for recording, especially since I live in an apartment. I think even 15W might be too much. The JSX Mini looks like it costs more than the Fender Pro Jr. but then again the Fender Pro Jr. doesn't have an effects loop, mic emulator, etc.

As far as power ratings, even 5 watts is going to be way too loud for an apartment. That's where very low power amps and/or attenuators come in. The THD Univalve and Bivalve have attenuators but they are still heads and would need a cabinet. The Fender Princeton Recording has an attenuator, overdrive, compression, reverb effects, effects loop, XLR mic emulator, etc., it goes for about a grand and is made in Mexico. Peavey is essentially copying many of the features from the Princeton Recording (including the built-in attenuator) for the JSX Mini and Windsor Studio except at a lower price point. The JSX Mini appears to be made in the USA but that could change in the actually shipping production units. The Windsor Studio is being made in China.

Your other option is to get the dirt strictly from pedals and keep your standard amp's clean volume turned WAY down.

If you are really interested in apartment volumes, checkout amptone.com. Much of the info is dated, but parts of the site are kept current. Its worth the investment in your time just to understanding the relationship between watts and volume, its definitely not linear like most people expect.

HTH

John

GP sacred cow of the year: Jimmy Vaughan

Well, the Univalve and Bivalve have a speaker-off function that allows you to work without a cabinet, I think. Then you could go direct and not worry about the neighbors, even in an apartment.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

As far as power ratings, even 5 watts is going to be way too loud for an apartment. That's where very low power amps and/or attenuators come in. The THD Univalve and Bivalve have attenuators but they are still heads and would need a cabinet. The Fender Princeton Recording has an attenuator, overdrive, compression, reverb effects, effects loop, XLR mic emulator, etc., it goes for about a grand and is made in Mexico. Peavey is essentially copying many of the features from the Princeton Recording (including the built-in attenuator) for the JSX Mini and Windsor Studio except at a lower price point. The JSX Mini appears to be made in the USA but that could change in the actually shipping production units. The Windsor Studio is being made in China.

Your other option is to get the dirt strictly from pedals and keep your standard amp's clean volume turned WAY down.

If you are really interested in apartment volumes, checkout amptone.com. Much of the info is dated, but parts of the site are kept current. Its worth the investment in your time just to understanding the relationship between watts and volume, its definitely not linear like most people expect.

HTH

John

Good points. I once had a 10W Marshall Valvestate, and it could indeed be cranked loud enough to irritate the neighbors and it was a solid-state at that.

For me, "too loud" would be louder than my acoustic cello, which I practice regularly in the apartment without complaints.

We'll have to see how loud the JSX Mini really gets in person. It's supposed to have a built-in attenuator too, after all. And at that price point, there's no way that thing is made in the USA.

Yeah, I've got a second amp....a Carvin Nomad and it's a great little all tube amp!

It came stock with a Celestion Vintage-30 as well.

I did change out the tubes thought to JJ's Blues. Other than that, it's a solid little tone machine!! :)

Randy

"Just play!"

Archived