Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland SRX-12 expansion board

ferran rc

Hello,

In the Clavia website I've listened to the Nord stage and electro rhodes and wurlitzer demos, and I like them very much.

Is it possible to find similar rhodes and wurlies sounds in the roland SRX-12 expansion board?

I suppose that in the stage and electro demos there is some kind of effect added to the sound, but is there any rhodes sound in the SRX-12 with this "character"?

I specially like these ones from the stage:

http://www.nordusa.com/mp3/Stage-EPmk2.mp3

http://www.nordusa.com/mp3/Stage-EPmk5a.mp3

http://www.nordusa.com/mp3/Stage-Wurlitzer2.mp3

Could any srx-12 owner post a demo of different rhodes sounds that are available in this board? I've listened to the demos in the Roland website, but there are only 3-4 "bell" rhodes sounds, and I would like to know if there are more "dark" rhodes sounds in the SRX-12.

Thanks very much.

Ferran

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't own the SRX 12 card but I have heard many of the sounds through a murua friedn of a friend. Its hard to give an opinion because sound like or dislike is so subjective to each person. As a thought you may also want to post this on the roland clans forum.

Roland Clans Forums Here

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Here is something I posted a while back to demonstrate the similarity in tone between the SRX Rhodes and the Scarbee software Rhodes (considered by many to be the best Rhodes sample library). The first is SRX Rhodes #2 followed by Scarbee. My preference is actually Rhodes 1 on the SRX-12 board which tonally is beautiful. I use it all the time. I don't have a demo available of that Rhodes. I also have a Nord Electro 61 and Electro Rack. I'm sorry, but I much prefer the sound of the SRX Rhodes over the Nords. In terms of "the tone" and clarity. Well listen to the demos and compare.

The Wurly is another story. The SRX Wurly is just kind of strange, IMO. I prefer the Nord. The clavs on the board are highly usable, especially when tweaked. I posted an RD700SX file which had tweaked SRX sounds. What keyboard/module do you plan to put the SRX board in?

SRX Rhodes #2 - Scarbee

Busch.

The base Rhodes and Wurly on the RD700SX are functional. The SRX-12 is highly recommended for the Rhodes and clavs.

The sampling on the SRX-12 board is of high quality. You might find the Rhodes or Clav a little bright for your taste. It is much better to take a sample that was recorded with alot of clarity and remove some high-end than to try to put high-end into a sample where it doesn't exist. There are plenty of options for doing this on the RD700SX.

I can't find that SRX-12 tweak file that I posted. The forum search engine doesn't work very well for me.

Busch.

In reagrd to your first post and as the owner of an RD700SX/SRX12, an Electro and a few Rhodes I pretty much agree with everything that has been said here but will just add that what you would be using to host the SRX-12 matters. If it is a Fantom or an 700SX it will work well and offers lots of easy tweaking options. If you are planning to install it in an XV series module I would procede with caution unless you are very familiar with them. And in my opinion, for what it's worth, the Electro Rhodes sounds are not even close to the SRX in terms authenticity and detail. The Stage Rhodes are much better but still not quite in the same league.
Fender Rhodes (x4) / Wurlitzer 200A / NE3 61 / Motif XS6 / Korg SV-1 73

If you are planning to install it in an XV series module I would procede with caution unless you are very familiar with them.

Can you please be a little more specific about this. I own XV 2020 and i'd like to purchase this card but i'm really affraid... Can i have the same sound as the sound samples we hear here (played in a 61 notes M Audio controller) or i need a proper big synth to istall it ?

thnx

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

If you are planning to install it in an XV series module I would procede with caution unless you are very familiar with them.

Can you please be a little more specific about this. I own XV 2020 and i'd like to purchase this card but i'm really affraid... Can i have the same sound as the sound samples we hear here (played in a 61 notes M Audio controller) or i need a proper big synth to istall it ?

thnx

When I first got the card I had it in an XV-5050. It did not sound as good right out of the box in it as it does in the RD700SX (i.e. a bit dull, compressed - and not in a good way- and with comparatively weak effects) and I found it very tedious and limited to edit on. That said, I should also admit that you may be more patient and skilled at that than I and should also say that I have no experience with the XV-2020. And on reflection even with any real or perceived deficiencies of your module you are still probably better off with the 2020 / SRX-12 that almost any other non-software option for getting a usable Rhodes sound. Good luck.

Doesn't the XV-5050 have better sounding D/A converters than the little XV-2020? My SRX-11 sounds very dull and compressed in my XV-202. The SRX-12 is OK but I guess it would be a lot better installed in a RD-700SX.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

I agree 100%. The SRX-12 is the best sounding Rhodes in hardware.

Better than GEM's DRAKE technology? Or have you not tried that?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

thnx

When I first got the card I had it in an XV-5050. It did not sound as good right out of the box in it as it does in the RD700SX (i.e. a bit dull, compressed - and not in a good way- and with comparatively weak effects) and I found it very tedious and limited to edit on. That said, I should also admit that you may be more patient and skilled at that than I and should also say that I have no experience with the XV-2020. And on reflection even with any real or perceived deficiencies of your module you are still probably better off with the 2020 / SRX-12 that almost any other non-software option for getting a usable Rhodes sound. Good luck.

Thnx much

As i own a Nord Electro i doubt the combination XV2020+SRX card will sound better... Of course, i have to give it a try, but... it costs :mad: And it costs a lot (over 200 euros here...).

Yeah, I'm mostly curious about the upcoming Roland table-top module that will take SRX cards, but I think that's still a far more expensive option than a GEM RP-x, so they would have had to have done a WAY better job of the Rhodes (and the Wurly and Clavinet as well) for me to feel it's worth it.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Yannis : I may not have expressed myself very well. Even though the SRX-12 was less appealing to me via the XV-5050 it was still vastly better than my Electro. I've tried almost everything in search of a portable Rhodes solution and this is what I've settled on. Good luck.

I suspect not.

I don't know, I'm optimistic. I've tried the SRX-12 in the RD700SX, Fantom XR and Fantom X7 and it sounded very good in each one. D/A convertor technology continues to improve and gets less expensive. The XV-2020 is nearly five years old--introduced in the summer of 2002.

Roland's marketing blurb about the SonicCell: "Equipped with a state-of-the-art sound engine, SonicCell delivers the pristine sound quality of a dedicated Roland hardware synth.

Busch.

Yannis : I may not have expressed myself very well. Even though the SRX-12 was less appealing to me via the XV-5050 it was still vastly better than my Electro. I've tried almost everything in search of a portable Rhodes solution and this is what I've settled on. Good luck.

The SRX-12 in my XV-2020 trumped my friends Electro Rhodes sound. I do admire the Electro organ sound.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

Thnx lowerhodes.

The problem is that they won't give my a free trial before i buy the card. It's totally blinfolded :( and i'm really cautious to spend 200 euros like this. I'll try to find someone that has it installed, though, as your words are very promicing

Thnx again

Thanks everybody for your opinions!

Busch, thanks for your comparison file between the SRX-12 and the scrabee. The SRX-12 sounds very good.

Anyone has any other MP3 file to hear some other rhodes sounds of the SRX-12?

Best regards,

Ferran

I mostly notice the hard strike jump in headphones and it's not too bad, the hard strike is not dramaticly different sounding in tone and brightness. I never notice it playing live so I don't find it a problem at all.

The "Ultimate Grand" in the RD-700SX, now that was a problem. The piano sounded mellow (muffled) and then a very bright hard strike would jump out. I could not put up with that for five minutes.

Tone can be modified more easily than other characteristics of sound. I hone in on fluidity and the connectedness of notes. The Scarbee, which did not impress me a few years ago when I checked their own on-site demos, sounds like an instrument based on Busch's demo. The SRX-12 does not -- it sounds like discrete notes.

Both instruments have a bit of jumpiness to them, and I couldn't live with that; though perhaps it is more controllable on the Scarbee. Roland's own demos for the SRX-12 are lush as is to be expected from that company, but closer listening reveals the flaws.

Based on my purchase today of Pianoteq 2 for my acoustic piano needs, I will likely hold off on buying the GEM DRAKE module. I'm just not doing enough live keyboard (vs. bass guitar) playing these days to justify it.

But I would still like a better studio solution than NI's Elektrik Piano (though it is OK for pre-tracked MIDI -- it simply doesn't feel organic enough while playing in real-time).

I thought about writing to Clavia to encourage them to produce an e-piano-only version of the Electro, but I didn't bother as I'm not terribly thrilled with the quality anyway.

Lounge Lizard still sounds the most authentic to me, and feels the best to play as it is so fluid and reactive. But I resent having to buy the full AAS Modeling Collection just to get a reasonable price on Lounge Lizard plus String Studio (the latter is needed for clavinet and a few other instruments not covered by Lounge Lizard).

Archived