Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GAS temporarily satisfied

blitzkrieg bop

Ok, I bought the VJ combo for $99 at the HOG, which I believe is a pretty darn good deal. Tied it with both my MIM strat and Vantage. Pretty Darn cool! Now I know what they mean by the "feel" of a tube amp. It is much more responsive and doesn't feel like you are merely playing through a circuit board. I Like! I love the clean tones you get around 9 o clock. Between 10 and 2 are great! You don't want to stop playing! I love that slightly overdriven tone, especially with the neck and neck/mid pickups on the strat. The Vantage sounds awesome as well. It also brings out the tone of the pickups, which in case with my strat, I definitly need to change because I can hear the subtlties more with this amp.

The only quabs is that

1. It is fricken loud past noon and I'm still in an apartment. In a month I won't have that problem! People were right about the volume, wow.

2. The 8" speaker seems to hold it back past 3 o clock. It seems like you get more "speaker" breakup that muddies the nice overdriven sound. Do others who own the combo feel this way also? I think this may be where the head version is better? Can anyone verify this, or did I eat too much pasta last night?

All in all, I think I can have fun with this amp. And for $99, cool deal!

"When learned men begin to use their reason, then I generally discover that they haven't got any." -GK Chesterton

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will probably hold on to this one until we get settled into the house (by June). Then, I may sell it to get the head and a cabinet. I'm also debating selling my Marshall Valvestate 8040 to get some cash for rig updates (so the wife doesn't yell at me ;) . I can tell that with this intro to tube amps I won't be using that hybrid much longer. I love the clean and semi-driven tones this little guy is giving. I have never been real happy with the clean tones of the marshall as I started to play more, but it did the job.
"When learned men begin to use their reason, then I generally discover that they haven't got any." -GK Chesterton

he 8" speaker seems to hold it back past 3 o clock. It seems like you get more "speaker" breakup that muddies the nice overdriven sound. Do others who own the combo feel this way also? I think this may be where the head version is better? Can anyone verify this, or did I eat too much pasta last night?

That is exactly why I didn't buy the combo. Initially, I set off looking for it. But the head seemed like a much better idea after I realized my 1x12 Peavey had an input for a speaker and would probably yield better results. I'm not a fan of tiny speakers at all.

Shut up and play.

Archived