Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Very OT-Snowblower question

blitzkrieg bop

We are buying a house and the owner is selling his snowblower. It's about 15 years old an he's asking $125 for it. I don't know anything about them, but it looked pretty nice and in good shape. Does this seem like a good price? I know they go for $700-800 new. I was going to offer $80-100, but wanted to be sure it was worth it. I don't know the make or model.

I know there are helpful canaidians on this forum who know about snow :-) Any help appreciacted...Thanks!

"When learned men begin to use their reason, then I generally discover that they haven't got any." -GK Chesterton

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bob, you have to find out the make and model! then we can help you.. pretty much any machine that is of good size and has belts that are in good shape and the engine seems to sound fine and the gear box doesnt make crunchy sounds ...IS probably worth $125. Is it self powered? there are so many variables...call him and ask him the make and model!!

I called, it's an NTD, but he wasn't sure of the exact model. It is about 15 years old, bought at Wal-Mart. He said it was a re-conditioned model, but hasn't had any trouble with it, throws the heavy stuff very well. It is self-powered, and has an optional turn key start (I guess you just need to plug it in to charge so you don't need to pull it to start it.)

Thanks

"When learned men begin to use their reason, then I generally discover that they haven't got any." -GK Chesterton

Its an MTD (I have one, a 5.5 HP IIRC). If its a two stage and it starts up and the blades engage when you squeeze the handle and doesn't make any funny sounds then its probably worth $125. The second stage is the part that grabs the snow from the large blades throws the snow out the chute. A single stage isn't all that useful with heavier snows or "wet" snow. That's important in upstate NY. Bonus points for the electric start (VERY cool when its below zero)! It probably doesn't have a battery, instead it has an AC motor that you are connecting to a 110v outlet to turn over the engine. YMMV, but it probably won't. :)

John

GP sacred cow of the year: Jimmy Vaughan

Archived